Nodes not processing transactions

I’ve been trying to run a core/relay node pair on the preprod testnet following the guide Operate a Stake Pool | Cardano Developer Portal.
Both nodes have been up for a few days (and experienced restarts since then) and neither node has been processing transactions, the core node also doesn’t seem to be propagating either (see screenshots of gLiveView).

The status log of the core node is simply a repeat of the message below, stating that my node was not the leader.

Oct 13 06:17:52 ip-<core-node-private-ip> cardano-testnode[979762]: [ip-172-3:cardano.node.LeadershipCheck:Info:62] [2023-10-13 06:17:52.00 UTC] {"chainDensity":4.1854873e-2,"credentials":"Cardano","delegMapSize":7667,"kind":"TraceStartLeadershipCheck","slot":41494672,"utxoSize":946513}
Oct 13 06:17:52 ip-<core-node-private-ip> cardano-testnode[979762]: [ip-172-3:cardano.node.Forge:Info:62] [2023-10-13 06:17:52.00 UTC] fromList [("credentials",String "Cardano"),("val",Object (fromList [("kind",String "TraceNodeNotLeader"),("slot",Number 4.1494672e7)]))]

I’m not sure what my issue is, any help is welcome. Thanks!

is your

"TraceMempool": false,

or

"TraceMempool": true,

Check your config.json

Also post your topology file here because you should have more incoming connections on your relay.

Another thing to check is your ports. Check them here : Open Port Check Tool - Test Port Forwarding on Your Router

"TraceMempool": true is set for both the core and relay nodes.

Port 6000 and 3000 are open on the relay’s public address but closed on its private address.
Port 6000 is closed on the core’s public and private addresses.
The core and relay nodes can connect to each other’s public and private IPs on port 6000 according to telnet <ip-address> <port-number>.

topology.json for core node:

{
  "LocalRoots": {
    "groups": [
      {
        "localRoots": {
          "accessPoints": [
            { "address": "<relay-public-address>", "port": 6000 },
	    { "address": "<relay-private-address>", "port": 6000 }
          ],
          "advertise": false
        },
        "valency": 2
      }
    ]
  },
  "PublicRoots": []
}

topology.json for relay node:

{
  "localRoots": [
    {
      	{ "address": "<core-public-address>", "port": 6000 },
	{ "address": "<core-private-address>", "port": 6000}
      ],
      "advertise": false,
      "valency": 2
    }
  ],
  "publicRoots": [
    {
        {
          "address": "preprod-node.world.dev.cardano.org",
          "port": 3000
        }
      ],
      "advertise": true
    }
  ],
  "useLedgerAfterSlot": 0
}

You have set the wrong port in your relay

"address": "preprod-node.world.dev.cardano.org",
      "port": 3000

its port 30000 and not 3000

https://book.world.dev.cardano.org/environments/preprod/topology.json

Ah that’s an embarrassing mistake. I have fixed it now.
Do I need to open port 30000 on my relay node to incoming traffic? My understanding is 30000 is preprod-node.world.dev.cardano.org’s port so I don’t need to.

I have reloaded both nodes after updating my relay’s topology file, but after waiting for some time, it appears that nothing has changed.

No you dont have to do that.

What do you mean with “reloaded”? Did you restart the service?

What do you mean with “reloaded”? Did you restart the service?

I ran sudo systemctl reload cardano-testnode on both the relay and core nodes. I am under the impression that changing the topology file does not require a full restart.

To be honest, im not sure about that. Id probably restart the service.

I have restarted both nodes. Neither is processing transaction still, and the core still isn’t propagating. The error logs of the core node are the same as before.

As you are using cntools, id recommand asking here for further help Telegram: Contact @CardanoKoios

I am not using cntools. Would it be helpful to try it out?

Imo cntools is pretty easy to use, yep.

You can follow the guide here : CNCLI - Guild Operators

Cheers, I’ll try it out and hopefully it’ll help me resolve some issues.

1 Like