qKesNodeStateOperationalCertificateNumber "null"

While querying the kes-period-info for our node we noticed that the value for “qKesNodeStateOperationalCertificateNumber” is null. We have not minted a block yet and we understand that this number would go up if our node happens to mint one. Is null just stating that we haven’t minted a block yet? An error? Or have we messed up somewhere in the process? Thank you in advance for your time.

1 Like

Bump. Also curious. YYC has yet to mint a block and has

✓ Operational certificate’s KES period is within the correct KES period interval
✗ No blocks minted so far with the operational certificate at: /home/cardano/node/myPool.node.opcert
{
“qKesCurrentKesPeriod”: 534,
“qKesEndKesInterval”: 569,
“qKesKesKeyExpiry”: null,
“qKesMaxKESEvolutions”: 62,
“qKesNodeStateOperationalCertificateNumber”: null,
“qKesOnDiskOperationalCertificateNumber”: 3,
“qKesRemainingSlotsInKesPeriod”: 4480498,
“qKesSlotsPerKesPeriod”: 129600,
“qKesStartKesInterval”: 507
}

1 Like

Since there is only a number on the chain, when a block has been minted, null seems plausible.

If you still haven’t minted a block, when the Vasil hard fork finally happens, it might become a problem that qKesOnDiskOperationalCertificateNumber is 3. After Vasil, the difference between last KES used on-chain and the one on-disk is not allowed to be more than one. I don’t know if null is counted as 0 and your on-disk certificate has to have 1, then.

1 Like

With Vasil upgrade the qKesOnDiskOperationalCertificateNumber must be just one count higher than qKesNodeStateOperationalCertificateNumber value for your last block. If this value needs to be adjusted, there is a guide available (Coincashew Method):

Also running into this same scenario and had the same question.

However, after going through the update following these guides, the result of running cardano-cli query kes-period-info is displaying:

{
"qKesNodeStateOperationalCertificateNumber": null,
"qKesOnDiskOperationalCertificateNumber": 0,
}

I believe the 0 on the config comes from passing 0 to the --counter-value option on the cardano-cli node new-counter command, per the following section from the link above:

Also If you have never made a block then you will need to rollback your counter to 0

any updates? facing the same problem even after changing counter to 0

null should be ok if you have never minted a block and followed the aforementioned steps.

1 Like

It’s the same for me : with counter to 0, i get :

“qKesOnDiskOperationalCertificateNumber”: 0,

Although it’s not “0” but “null”, i believe it’s perfectly normal, as i never minted a block :slight_smile:

I’m in the same situation and I will like to be sure if is OK or not have
“qKesOnDiskOperationalCertificateNumber”: 0,
only because Never mint a block.

If you never minted a block, it is ok.