Quality tweets about the current state of Cardano: many good questions are raised

@matthijs_last on twitter: Feels like more has been removed from the project than has been implemented. Links to Tweets
Links to reddit post

Grabbed this off of Twitter, I do not want to see it get buried there.(and I re-post a reddit post here)

₳ matthijs ₿ (@matthijs_last)

6/1/19, 9:56 AM

@IOHK_Charles Shelley testnet was projected to launch in Q2 '18. It was then delayed until late '18. Then we were advised it was going to be released Q1 '19. Now we are to understand that we will get a ‘self-node’ testNET in June '19? #Cardano #ADA @emurgo_io @CardanoStiftung

July '18 we were introduced to the idea of a hybrid Cardano / permissioned blockchain solution for land registry digitisation in Rwanda and coffee provenance / logistics in Ethiopia. Now we are advised that an MOU was for a state-backed crypto for Addis Ababa using only Atala?

RINA? not going to make it’s way into Cardano in a 2020 horizon. KEVM? guess not…bye @RosuGrigore! IELE? nope Guess we didn’t really want semantics based compilation or Solidity compatibility anyway. CCL? Plutus and Marlowe are now being integrated into the CSL.

What is the status of the Haskell implementation of Shelley? When are we getting hardware wallet integration in Daedalus? When are you going to open the Scala repos for Atala?

What is with the lack of GitHub commits for Jormungandr? You already have the spec. There is no technical debt. Maybe it is because you are building something that has never been done before? I feel like @onicrom could build the Shelley testnet faster by himself at this rate.

Roadmap? Roadmap?? Roadmap???

Why is @TheCryptoLark a Cardano Ambassador? Why would a team comprised of world class academics who are building a peer reviewed, formally specified financial blockchain platform need a YouTube influencer to shill and pump bags?

@EmurgoHK how is the joint venture with @IronXExchange going?

I’ve been supporting Cardano for nearly two years and it feels like more has been removed from the project than has been implemented. Competitors like @tezos and #EOS have already implemented a treasury. @cosmos already has governance. I’m losing faith and I feel I’m not alone.

2 Likes

This post hurts, thanks for posting it. I did not know about KVEM & IELE, sad, & what is TheCryptoLark Ambassador?

But who is this guy with just a few followers on twitter? it’s just one opinion out of thousands… nothing very serious, nothing to care about…

Regarding KEVM and IELE Charles addressed that in the last AMA. They tabled those projects for now to conserve money. I wouldn’t say they are dead. I believe he said they spent about a million bucks on them so far.

2 Likes

I have the same questions. I really feels like more features has been removed from the cardano project than adding. I thought the same too, when they talk about rwanda and mangolia, these projects are related directly to atala not cardano. Truly Charles broke my heart when he anounced atala :smiley:. Even though charles insists cardano is going to be a part of atala, thats remain to be seen. I dont want to be called a hater because im not. I have invested in the project from the beginning. There should be space for communication rather than to called the ‘EOS guy’ which happens alot in here. May be all of my doubts will go once they release the roadmap. But after the IOHK summit, im skeptic. Initially i thought cardano is going to be the safest and fatest dapp platform which overcomes etherium. I dont think, we will be able to achieve that by 2025 or its still in IOHK’s plan.

1 Like

My opinion is… The team’s best focus is to get the platform to Shelley testnet and mainnet with decentralized staking, compared to the features in question. To establish operational credibility and gain market momentum, the Cardano network needs to decentralize its nodes and demonstrate Ouroboros staking works well at scale.

5 Likes

I respectfully disagree with your opinion regarding Atala. There are certain entities and situations that need an enterprise solution. Quite frankly it puts Cardano at a real disadvantage if there is not a compatible enterprise solution out there to interact with.

Here is a blog post from Microsoft that explains what enterprise blockchain is for:

Would you rather have Microsoft providing these solutions or IOHK?

7 Likes

There is no quality in these tweets. This is just a low level FUDS. The Cardano projects is not static it keeps on evolving and getting better and stronger everyday.
EILE and KEVM abondoned? Hell no.[https://testnet.iohkdev.io/
Dont let this low level FUDs distract you. Do your own research. Cheers.

but we both know that people can raise legit questions, no matter how many followers they have.
on the other hand, it is because he does not have much follower that I wish to spread his tweets wider in the community.

3 Likes

I agree with you that Atala is a valuable addition to the cardano ecosystem.

1 Like

I agree that these conversations should continue to be had, but it is not new. The same thing pops up from time to time on this forum. I think the last one might have been New Ethiopian Crypto

I have said it many times before, one of the most important factors in any project is communication. From experience the lack of a good communication plan is often a significant factor in many project issues.

That’s on projects that are often internal to a business or between a limited number of stakeholders. When you look at a high profile project like a cryptocurrency, there are so many people watching that the importance of communication is amplified significantly.

It was good to see that IOHK were planning to revamp how they communicate, with open meetings and status reports, as well as the new roadmap. They do however need to be careful of not delivering on this change in a timely manner. There was some confusion leading up to the summit regarding when the new roadmap would be released and this has since be clarified to be within weeks of the summit. How these are communicated could be contributing to confusion, so these new changes need to happen ASAP to avoid a loss of confidence by not delivering on a seemingly simple change, that doesn’t specifically relate to the code that understandably can slip.

I also think we need to see a better communications strategy from the Cardano Foundation, as there is more to this than just when code will drop. I think the Foundation should own some of the other broader project deliverables around adoption that are less technical.

Just my 2 lovelaces :blush:

7 Likes

I’ve been a member of the community for a while. Just feeling a little disillusioned.

2 Likes

While I agree, I feel like a lot of time and capital has been invested in solutions like RINA, IELE and KEVM when they should have been directed to Shelley from the beginning.

2 Likes

It might say more about me, but I’m very doubtful this even means anything.

1 Like

Certainly capital was thrown at them but I’m not sure how much time as they seem to have been completely different development teams and contractors. In one of Charles’ last AMAs he alluded to the KEVM effort as as a high risk and high reward endeavor that didn’t quite make it as more work is necessary to make it a useful feature. I’m sure they learned a lot though and that will inform future efforts. I think he also said that they are incorporating some RINA elements into the system as well. The whole thing does remind me how risky ground up efforts are however. With that said a lot of the research and ideas they have had will be fruitful fortunately.

1 Like

Charles said that KEVM is ~10% as performant as native code and is not entirely automated (still requires manual intervention) so they opted not to re-contract Runtime Verification.

I am near 100% certain this will not be implemented and certainly not before Voltaire, if you believe the Treasury will be able to fund further development.

Are you suggesting IOHK should have known in advance that these efforts would not bear fruit? (Or not as expected…)

1 Like

No, I’m saying that what was included in the original scope of the project has now changed.

There won’t be a CCL with IELE and KEVM and there won’t be Solidity compatibility unless the community funds it through the treasury after Voltaire.

If IOHK couldn’t implement it, due to complexity or funding constraints, then it is unlikely we will be able to fund it using ADA.

2 Likes

Common people, when KVM was launched, people exclaimed “when Shelley”, and as the testnet of Shelley ( yes selfnode ) is soon to be released, suddenly KEVM and IELE is super mega important for Cardano to survive …

There are priorities ( Tactics and strategies ), if you can understand that this tread is pointless and if priorities are relative to you then is even more useless to address this subject any further!

Its not actually that difficult to understand in my opinion!

I think its wiser to do it this way! as Cardano is doing it … First your product! Plutus and Marlow and then you open the system to other languages, it simple!

Cardano is aiming to change the game! Not to be better at a game with flaws

1 Like