Raise your question - Megathread

Hello everyone,

As representatives for the ecosystem, we look for questions every month and collectively – with the Cardano Foundation, IOHK and Emurgo – try to answer them. Collecting unanswered questions and compiling responses is a time consuming process because we have to search each and every thread and social channel.

Therefore, we would like to introduce the “Raise your question” threads on Reddit and our Forum. You can ask about things you always wanted to know in these threads. Please note that these are not AMAs and that we cannot give project and milestones estimates.

Examples could be (and, yes, they are already answered):

• Why are there three entities representing our ecosystem?
  • Is Cardano quantum-resistant?

We hope that these threads will be helpful for the community and will lead to a better educated community. Hopefully, we can collect the questions in a more structured way – a win-win for both of us.

We are looking forward to your first questions!

Disclaimer: It can take some time before answers are given. Thank you for understanding.

23 Likes

Is Emurgo willing to share their strategy conserning the America’s?
Do they have one?
Or are they operating somewhat like a VC waiting for others to approach them through the program’s they have set up?
It would be nice to see something from them that is region specific that shows they have identified a path forward in the west that will produce results based on their research on the matter.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your questions @anon20038177. I’ve submitted them to the doc :slight_smile:

1 Like

Response from Emurgo:

Thank you for your continued interest in EMURGO as the official commercial arm of Cardano. We appreciate our community’s feedback and constructive comments on our mission to drive the adoption of Cardano and bring value to ADA holders.

As you may know, EMURGO has four core business units that are operating simultaneously in various international regional markets: tailored systems development, education & academy, investment & acceleration, and advisory services.

As a company headquartered in Singapore with global operations staff in Tokyo, Japan and a founding Japanese heritage, EMURGO has a strong network foundation in Asia.

We are also very cognizant that the Americas is certainly a key region with a huge Cardano community following and thus, EMURGO has already actively put a strategic focus in place to push forward brand awareness of Cardano and eventual adoption of Cardano as the protocol of choice. The following in no particular order, highlights EMURGO’s active plan in motion to achieve this:

Firstly, EMURGO launched our dLab/EMURGO blockchain accelerator & new office studio to support aspiring blockchain entrepreneurs, in February 2019 in the heart of New York City. dLab/EMURGO has enabled EMURGO to incubate and accelerate quality blockchain projects with real use cases showing synergies with Cardano. These projects receive world class mentoring from EMURGO’s CTO Nicolas Arqueros and R&D Engineering Lead Sebastien Guillemot, among our other in-house tech experts at EMURGO & SOSV.

We’ve already “graduated” our first batch of four startups and Cardano fellows such as Syre solving Cardano ADA transaction surety, and are looking for other blockchain startups to support in Q3 2019. So please apply if you feel like your project can help address real world issues and bring utility by leveraging Cardano’s third-generation blockchain that is built to address scalability, sustainability, and interoperability.

Secondly, EMURGO joined the U.S. Chamber of Digital Commerce - the world’s leading trade association representing the digital asset and blockchain industry - as part of its influential Executive Committee in June 2019. The Chamber is comprised of leading multinational corporations, enterprises and startups in the blockchain and financial industries to promote the adoption of blockchain-based solutions and digital assets, especially in North America. This aligns with EMURGO’s strategic objective to support the cultivation of a genuine blockchain ecosystem thereby promoting the drive of Cardano adoption to potential stakeholders and bringing value to ADA holders.

The Chamber serves as a trusted resource to regulators & policymakers internationally in an effort to shape pro-growth blockchain-related policies. EMURGO, as an Executive Committee member of the Chamber, will be a part of this discussion via participation in the Chamber’s expert working groups and policy initiatives.

Most recently, EMURGO’s CTO Nicolas Arqueros was invited by the Chamber to give a special presentation about the utilities of Cardano blockchain at Congressional Blockchain Education Day in Washington D.C. to trusted policymakers and enterprises.

EMURGO’s CFO & CIO Manmeet Singh also spoke earlier this year in an exclusive discussion at DC Blockchain Summit - a Washington D.C.-based conference geared towards government officials & enterprises - about Cardano & the future of digital tokenization.

Thirdly, EMURGO also earlier this year made an investment into New York-based Y2X, the leading digital merchant bank for the decentralized economy. Y2X helps entrepreneurs raise capital for expansion through Securities Token Offerings (STOs) and other means. Cardano will become the protocol of choice for Y2X and its portfolio firms, especially in the field of regulated STOs, therefore providing an increased value add to ADA holders. Y2X’s co-founders J. Todd Morley & Dave Shuler, come from established backgrounds in finance on Wall Street, together bringing a wealth of professional expertise and global networks to build the platform.

Thus, our strategy in the Americas is to engage with influential stakeholders and promote the utilities of Cardano as the protocol of choice; provide opportunities to quality startups with real use cases that show synergies with Cardano; and invest into projects that have the potential to have high strategic value to an expanded user base within the Cardano ecosystem. This versatile approach enables EMURGO to spread awareness & market Cardano to drive adoption, and also invest to directly add into the Cardano ecosystem.

8 Likes

Is it any easy to understand way to connect yoroi and ledger?
Is it possible to stake Ada in yoroi?
I have my tokens on an exchange and I am sceptical to browser extensions, without the security from ledger. I would be glad to se a video or something. English isn’t my native language

Only for testnet so far. Start here: staking.cardano.org

2 Likes

hi there

I’ve a few questions regarding ADA.

Apparently the project started on 2015. cardano.org is online since 2018 and oldest references on bitcointalk.org are from 2017. Why is that? Was the team hiding from 2015 to 2017?
Isn’t it worry some that in 5 years of development there is still no real usage?

The main goal of Cardano seem closely related to ethereum’s goal: smart contracts. Is the only big difference PoS?

In case some dApps on cardano get some traction and popularity. Would they be paid-for apps? Payable with Ada or some UIA tokens?
Would end-users, daily normies be the ones that would have the buy the tokens?

How is the price of Ada correlated with the project? Will a higher adoption of Cardano increase the price of Ada? How much of current price moves is due to pure speculation (99.9%?)

Thanks you.

2 Likes

Do you have a presence in the UK?

Is there a rule of thumb for when to move ADA coins out of an exchange App wallet?

(Is this an appropriate question to ask in this forum?)

This is a nice explanation: https://blokt.com/security-blog/coins-on-exchange

1 Like

Andy,
That is a very helpful article. I published the link in a blog post.

The article mentions a paper wallet, but doesn’t say what it is.

Can anyone elucidate?

3 Likes

Thank you Andy, for another very useful resource.

After learning how important it is to move cryptocurrency off the exchange and into a secure wallet, I learned that currently on Crypto dot com, ADA cannot be moved in or out of the App!

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Okay if I include a screenshot from the Crypto dot com App?

1 Like

As a follow-up to my question, I wrote to support at Crypto dot com yesterday, asking about the inability to transfer ADA out of the App.

Their response was received this morning. I am pleased with the promptness and professionalism of their support:

To my email inquiry, Crypto dot com responded with 24 hours:

Hi Gary,

Thank you for your email.

The team is working on the ADA integration in the app to be completed as soon as possible.

We will announce as soon as the deposits and withdrawals are open.
Contact us anytime if you have a question.

Best regards,
The Crypto dot com Team

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Problems with configuring core and relay nodes

In thinking about sexagesimal, other than being a throw back from the sumerian era, are there any uses that we use it for today other than the measurement for time albeit slightly modiied?

Thx @Andy_Hendrikx

2 Likes

I think it means anything about Cardano :grin:

2 Likes

It was worth a try :smiley:, I find base numbering systems fascinating, it would seem I’ll have to do my own research :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like