Reset spending password!

hello there small qustion if you like to have a new spendingpassword isnt it eazier that whe have a box to click in the wallet like put in old spending then put in new,then repeat the new one confirm boemmmm done.or i am missing something??
thank u
viva la cardano&team& charles hoskinson​:v::v:

Hi @Salem,

Which wallet are you using? And do you know your old spending password?

hello there its not that i have a issue with my spending password i know mine it works just fine,its just a suggestion if you want to change it fast.thanks greetings from amsterdam👍

OK, in daedalus (that is why I asked which wallet you use) you can just change your spending password:

2 Likes

dank je wel top man
heb je de 24 woorden ook nodig,
voor de change geloof het wel toch??
:+1::+1::+1::+1:

graag gedaan :slight_smile:

Nope, niet nodig. 24 woorden heb je pas nodig als je dit wachtwoord niet meer weet/hebt. Dan moet je je hele wallet opnieuw aanmaken en je 24 woorden invoeren.

dank je wel voor je inzet en tijd

1 Like

Hello,
May I take the opportunity to ask a question on my issue here ?
Indeed, exactly at this part of the settings, when I click on “change” to change my password, I am requested for the current one, which I am not able to retreive it. Meanwhile I could finely verify my recovery phrase in the sections below it.
Is there any chance for me to reset it ? If yes how please ?
Many thanks in advance
NB : if I am not posting in the right place please don’t hesitate to make me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Sharzeh_Morid,

If you have lost your wallet password you can’t change it of course.
What you need to do is to create a new wallet and use your recovery phrase to recover it. Doing this allows you to set a new password. After this succeeds and you have confirmed it all works fine, you can delete the initial wallet for which you lost the password.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Hi @ADA4Good ,

Thanks a lot for your help.
Meanwhile just to avoid any wrong manipulation, I need to make sure to understand well what to do :

The recovery phrase that I have for my current wallet (let’s call it W1) will be used to trasfert the ADA I have on the W1 to the newly created wallet (let’s call it W2). Then I will use only W2, and will delete W1.

Is this true?

If true, do you know if this is still seen as “transaction” and will get a transaction fee though it would be between my own wallets?

Many thanks again for your kind help.

Restoring with a seed phrase is not a transaction.

You can access your wallet with as many wallet apps as you wish. It’s just like logging into your Facebook account with different browsers or from different computers.

So, there is no W2, here. You are just opening W1 a second time.

That should help, because a new spending password can be chosen, when you import/restore a wallet with the seed phrase. You don’t need the spending password to open your wallet in another wallet app, on another device, …. The seed phrase is enough to get full control over your wallet.

Thanks a lot for your remark @HeptaSean . So I had fully misunderstood the message of @ADA4Good

I guess now that this …

… meant that I have to first delete my wallet and then to create it again back through “Restoring” in the “Add Wallet” section. Right ?

To be extra safe, @ADA4Good wanted you to first restore/import a new instance of the same wallet and only delete the first instance after you are sure that the second instance works.

If you are totally confident that your seed phrase is correct, you can, of course, do it the other way round.

(In fact, I am not totally sure if all wallet apps let you open the same wallet two times or if they say something like: “Wallet already exists.”)

There is always some confusion, what is meant by “wallet”. I try to consistently call the different programs – Daedalus, Yoroi, Adalite, ccvault, Nami, … – “wallet apps”, the thing on the blockchain that has a stake key, a couple of addresses, and a balance and is protected by a seed phrase or a hardware wallet a “wallet” and the representations of the wallets in wallet apps something like “instances”, “imports”, …

I am also not 100% sure if deadalus allows you to add the same wallet twice. But what is important to understand is that daedalus (or any other wallet) does NOT hold your ADA or your cardano tokens. All your ADA is stored on the block chain and on the blockchain only. And your recovery phrase is a way for you to prove you know where it exactly is on the blockchain AND that you have the right to move them. So as long as your recovery phrase is working fine nothing can go wrong and you can always restore your wallet. And “restore” is nothing more than telling daedalus where to look on the blockchain and that you are the proven owner of those funds.

1 Like