Stop the bro culture

Please stop calling everyone “Bro”! :pray:

In my experience the Cardano community is much friendlier and much more inclusive than many other crypto communities. Nevertheless, this Bro culture is still too big in the Cardano community. Let’s work on our culture and throw the bro overboard, please!

14 Likes

I mean i dont really understand why everyone is calling anyone “bro” but i dont really care about that.

live and let live :slight_smile:

Cheers
Fabian

11 Likes

I think you got issues mate. Or are you just seeking attention xD

8 Likes

Bro :)) first time when I used it

6 Likes

You don’t care because it doesn’t effect you. We have women in the community, unfortunately a minority. The “bro” speech excludes them. It doesn’t matter if willingly or not, it still creates an environment where a minority is excluded and might prevent others from joining.

5 Likes

That’s some great logics mate. hahaha… :joy:

2 Likes

Please try and look beyond your plate.

2 Likes

I dont really agree on that statement.

If someone says “Hey bro” hes talking directly with you. So anyone exepct you is excluded and not any minority.

But hey thats just my opinion on that topic :slight_smile:

Cheers
Fabian

6 Likes

Obviously you are seeking attention at this point. xD
Communication depends on person to person. As for me I rarely address someone as Bro
I have never seen anyone calling people bro in the forum. I have been in this community over 2 years now. I feel it’s funny that you had to come in the forum to tell people how to address and behave. Amazing !!

5 Likes

Lets keep that discussion friendly and good mannered.

Everyone can have his opinion and you don’t have to agree on it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi @robinboening ,

I think you have a good point there. But I rarely see anyone use “bro” in this Cardano Forum though. We call by name or username as far as I know.

3 Likes

I agree and I apologise I haven’t been clearer on this: I am not talking about this forum in particular, I am just using this platform for a general request. I am more referring to Twitter, Telegram groups, or chats in live streams

3 Likes

No problem. I know it’s difficult stuff to handle, as every person has their own habit. And we could not do much (it depends on that person personality & upbringing, difficult topic to be discussed).

3 Likes

@robinboening let me try to follow.

You pick this forum to have a “conversation” about “minoritys”?

And we shall adress in this forum, which I don’t think you understood the purpose, the quarrrels about “minoritys” happening in social networks?

Spectacular! Spectacular!

I think I’ll throw a catalyst proposal to fund the remake of “moulin rouge”! It obviously does not understand the actual paradigm and should be more inclusive! The man should die and not the female bro! Upss… eeerrrr… ma man? guy? hey, you! What you think is more suitable to approach a man? Maybe Dr.? Or in the lack of academic degree, Mr.?

R.I.P. pride of being male! You’re gone!

The Earth intelligentsia is now lost in the winds of “change”!

Bravo for the creation of this “topic”!

no cheers this time though!

EDIT: Exquisite choice of this “topic” heads; education!

4 Likes

Even while appreciating good intentions, what worries me about this topic everywhere I encounter it, is that it always involves males arguing to “save” females. That bothers me. I would much rather deeply understand why women cannot start such a topic if it is relevant to them. So if there are women here who want to add their perspective, they have my interest and empathy.

6 Likes

I don’t see the issue with people saying bro and I am against limiting speech for the sake of being politically correct and so on. To be frank I find the proposal preposterous. Live and let live.

5 Likes

oh please stop the virtue signaling, I don’t need it also here.

4 Likes

It is hard to push down one’s own bias but for what it is worth I agree. I inwardly cringe when someone calls me “bro” and I reply with what I hope is an ironic smile. The same smile I offer when someone includes me with “y’all”. As a non-American I almost puke in my mouth on that one.

3 Likes

Sure thing bra!

6 Likes

Appreciate this serious point being raised. This ‘bro’ culture (don’t need to be literal) is endemic and is clearly off-putting for many women. This morning (actually every day) I’ve had to scroll through plenty of stupid & thoughtless comments and memes such as those about a Cardano guy looking for a new ‘bird’. As a libertarian I believe there’s room for all levels of stupid and funny but as soon as you are All cool with being called Sis we can stop the discussion. Think about it. … when patriarchy disappears then it’s all good here. As a specific example of what’s off-putting for women my most recent post on Cardano Official fb elicited this cracker of a response. I wrote a point about inter-generationality, women and pool staking and the guy responds by first calling me ‘Mrs Snowflake’ :joy:and continued by saying ‘I’m telling you as a man… ‘ blah blah blah. I appreciate most men here have decency and concern for others (hence his post was taken down by admin) so only expecting shitty responses from those who don’t have the capacity (yet) to get this. A woman responds. Perhaps other women have more to add?

4 Likes