TESTNET - NO Processed Tx - NO Mempool TX

Hi folks,
So I’ve registered my test pool a couple days back (ticker: ADAKT), it can be seen here:

I’ve built it following the official stake pool course and some bits from SafeStak, CoinCashew and this very forum. I’m not using CNTools.

I’ve got several concerns which I hope someone could help me with:

#1 : My pool is not listed on the testnet topology:

This command returns nothing:

curl -s https://explorer.cardano-testnet.iohkdev.io/relays/topology.json | grep 51.104.251.142

Is this to be expected?

#2 : Processed TX / Mempool TX are not increasing as they should:

Actually, when checking prometheus metrics on the BP node, I see that txsProcessedNum, txsInMempool and mempoolBytes are not even available!

Checking on the Relay node shows those metrics do exist but txsProcessedNum equals 1, txsInMempool and mempoolBytes are 0.

#3 : Peering:

Even on the testnet, I see people having large relay peering (10s of connections to other relays on the network).

Could this be the issue for issues #1 & #2?

Is this achieved with the famous topologyUpdater script? guild-operators/topologyUpdater.sh at alpha · cardano-community/guild-operators · GitHub

I thought this script was only relevant for mainnet.

My relay topology:
{
“Producers”: [
{
“addr”: “127.0.0.1”,
“port”: 3000,
“valency”: 1
},
{
“addr”: “relays-new.cardano-testnet.iohkdev.io”,
“port”: 3001,
“valency”: 2
}
]
}

I would really appreciate some help on this as I’m running in circles for a while now :slight_smile:

Thomas

1 Like

Hi!

Yes - at your relay - there is no incoming connections from outside…
and topologyUpdater can work on testnet - and if you have it running, then other relays will able to connect to your node…

but to as a workaround I can connect to your relay to see whether it is working… will update you soon

Hi there,

Thanks for your prompt response.

Oh really, no incoming connection, darn, sounds like a rooky mistake :slight_smile:

In gLiveview I saw 3 Out so I thought all was fine.

Well actually now that you say that it seems I can’t telnet onto my_relay_ip my_relay_port!

Strange knowing that I’ve got this inbound port rule on my vm:

Any idea what I’ve missed?

Thomas

yeah…

$ netcat -zvn 51.104.251.142 3001
netcat: connect to 51.104.251.142 port 3001 (tcp) failed: Connection refused

what cloud provider are you using?

Azure

thanks

i am not familiar with Azure…
have you done all these steps?

In theory yes, in practice I’ve used terraform to build the infra, checking what it actually created…

Morning,
I checked with an Azure engineer, he confirmed that Traffic to port 3001 where my relay listens to is allowed.
So the issue most likely lies at application level.
So I changed the --host-addr on the cardano-node run command for both relay and bp, I set them both to 0.0.0.0

After doing this I can see using netcat that the port 3001 is open on 51.104.251.142.

Could you run netcat -zvn 51.104.251.142 3001 again please?

That being said even though the port is open I still have 0 Processed TX and 0 Mempool TX.

Do you think this has now to do with my tolopogy files?

For reference here’s my relay topology:

{
{
“port”: 3000,
},
{
“addr”: “relays-new.cardano-testnet.iohkdev.io”,
“valency”: 2
}
]
}

By core node topology:

{
{
}
]
}

Thanks for your insights
Thomas

1 Like

yes - Connection to 51.104.251.142 3001 port [tcp/*] succeeded!

So topologyUpdater responsibe to provide incoming connections - since it creates a database and someone will get your address in the topology file - as you get others addresses…
but your topology file not yet maintained by the topologyUpdater as I can see.
Once I reach my testnet node I will try to connect your node…

Great thanks.
Yes I’m still working on the topology updater process…I’ll let you know when completed…tomorrow probably

Quick update:

• My relay is finally listed on the iohk testnet topology: https://explorer.cardano-testnet.iohkdev.io/relays/topology.json
  • My relay has much better peering now that I’ve completed the topologyUpdater process.
  • Processed TX is slowly but surely increasing on both Relay and BP nodes.
  • Mempool TX/Bytes is currently 0 on both Relay and BP nodes but at times it takes non-0 values but revert to 0 afterwards.
    Is this to be expected?
    Is it going back to 0 once it’s finish with processing of those transactions?
    Would appreciate to understand if you observe the same thing or whether Mempool TX/Bytes should be increasing continuously?

Kind regards,
Thomas

1 Like

Hi!

Just connected to your relay node - can you confirm it?

Hey! what’s your IP I should see?

ohh - that does not matter… since the issue probably in the config…

I’ve got 16 IN connection when 1h ago I had 15 so it’s probably you.

Working fine I guess…the challenge is now to get enough stakes to forge a few blocks…who did you go about getting a couple of million of test ADA to prove that?

so GLiveview uses metrics from node to able to present the values… that is why you need to enable TraceMempool in the config…

yes, it is a good question how to get that many ADA… I saw your other post about that - hope someone can help on that…

Yes I activated TraceMempool, and it does show values from time to time but it always go back to 0 once transactions have been processed. I think it’s normal. Do you not have the same behaviour?

I disabled it recently due to high CPU usage - but the recent node version fixed this issue, but I just have not re-enabled again…