Tried to run cardano node and connect to mainnet on DigitalOcean's server

After following How to Build Cardano SL and Daedalus from Source Code and How to connect to cluster, I was able to connect to the main net. However, after running it for about half an hour, I got some exceptions.

This is what I got when I tried to reconnect to mainnet:

It says that there is no more space left on the device, but I believe that my server still has around 30% disk space left. I also wonder if it is a good idea to run cardano-node on a VPS?

1 Like

Check your disk space:

$ df -h

Example returned

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /dev
tmpfs           387M  5.6M  381M   2% /run
/dev/sda2       216G  6.3G  199G   4% /

sda2 has 199G still available, 4% used.

When running a server I set a cap at 80%, meaning when 80% is reached I need to add storage.

You should also format a partition specifically for Cardano’s blockchain and other meta-data, optimizing the space for lots of very small blocks.

Example if I’m running ext4 file system:

mkfs.ext4 -b 1024 -i 1024 -I 128 /dev/<YOU-MUST-SET-THIS>

Mount the new Cardano partition:

mount /dev/<YOU-MUST-SET-THIS> /cardano

Regarding VPS
A single VPS could work but without real metrics which we do not have yet I would be careful. After all, we want to support Cardano in the most robust way possible; a single VPS is not meant for applications that are mission-critical.

Cheers,
Jonathan

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing this awesome solution. I am also facing the similar kind of error. I am also using the managed version of digitalocean web server which is powered by Cloudways. When I faced the issue I tried to resolve the error by scaling the server. But, still the same problem arises after running for 2 hours. Kindly, If there is anything else that I can do to counter the issue.

Have you posted your issue to the Cardano Stake Pool channels on telegram? You will get some good assistance .

Look at the dates, everything (just about) has changed since then.

1 Like