Yoroi Trezor "Change address staking rights..." problem with sending ADA

Each transaction has to select one or more UTXOs (unspent transaction outputs) and they go completely into that transaction and their sum (minus transaction fee) has to come out of the transaction, again. A part (in your case 5 ADA) go to the address you really want to send to, the rest goes back to an address in the original wallet as change.

Your total balance consists of some (sometimes a lot of) UTXOs and the wallet application chooses an appropriate one, in your case one with roughly 5000 ADA. So, it’s not your whole balance minus the currently sent minus the fee, but the chosen UTXO (which is only a part of your total balance) minus the currently sent minus the fee, which comes back as change.

Does that make sense?

First, I want to extend my gratitude for your time. It is greatly appreciated.
Yes it is making more sense. So I went into Yoroi and looked at the address I had deposited into from my Coinbase account. I had 4 transactions with 5k sent which I believe you are referring to. Basically, I looked at the address on my Yoroi in the transaction details and the address are all the same. The external address of my Yoroi account I am assuming where I receive my ADA. It is NOT the same as when I get the messeage "Change Amount: 4994.832783 ADA to addr1q9xql. My address is different from this and I can’t find this address anywhere on my Yoroi wallet. I am sure I am missing something but hopefully with your guidance I will eventually figure it out.

Yes, there can be more than one UTXO for an address. A transaction does not have to take the full balance of an address as input, but can select one of these (in your case one of the 5k transactions), but it could also take several of them if the transaction is larger than a single one. Transactions that have the same address as input multiple times are possible.

It has all gone to the same address, because you have given the same address to Coinbase for all withdrawals (which is totally okay). You could have also given Coinbase a new, different external address of your wallet for each checkout. Then they would now be in four different addresses with one UTXO each, not in the same address with four UTXOs.

Yoroi chooses the change addresses from a different batch of addresses than the ones it tells you to give to other people (or exchanges) for receiving ADA. They claim that it’s for privacy (which is a little moot, since I can navigate between all addresses of a wallet with explorers like cardanoscan.io easily).

The addresses used for change, can be found under “Receive” – “Base” – “Internal”. It looks like this:

The one proposed to you by Yoroi through the Trezor should be the first unused, not greyed out one.

That was it! Yo are Da Man! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for your patience as people learn in this crypto journey. I wished I learned about it much earlier. Thank you again. You are a blessing to this community.

1 Like

I’m glad I could help!

By the way: After the transaction has appeared in the transaction view of Yoroi, you can see everything we have gone through if you click on the transaction and view the details:

Here, I have two UTXOs as input and one address in another wallet and a change address (the one marked “Base – Internal” on the right) as outputs. All addresses and the transaction ID are links to Cardanoscan, where we can see the same information (and more) publicly on the blockchain.

And by the way 2: It is a good idea to verify the address at “Confirm sending” for each use of the Trezor, but the address at “Change amount” should be okay automatically. If Trezor would allow an address not belonging to your own wallet there, it would be horribly broken. (I think my Ledger does not even show it, at least I can’t remember.)

Just an FYI - I was able to perform the transaction and got my free tokens. Sweeeet!!
Thanks again!

1 Like

Hi, I’m the original poster for this topic and I’m glad you sorted your problem out but it does not sound similar to my still unresolved issue with Yoroi.

I have access to my funds on Yoroi, the problem is I cannot move them because I keep getting the error “Something unexpected happened. Please retry.”

I’ve tried Yoroi support (not even a reply), this forum and the Trezor forum.

The problem is still unresolved…

ok, near the wallet name on yoroi you can see - ZSAC-3451

now, try to restore the trezor on adalite.io … do you see the same or is another one (another empty/new wallet)
if there is another wallet then:

• it is possible to have another trezor device
  • it is possible that the trezor was restored with wrong/another seed words
  • it is possible to set a passphrase when u created the yoroi wallet ( in this case u will need to use the passphrase when u are trying to restore the wallet)

PS: check inside the trezor settings… how is the passphrase, activated or deactivated?

ok, near the wallet name on yoroi you can see - ZSAC-3451

now, try to restore the trezor on adalite.io … do you see the same or is another one (another empty/new wallet)

NEW EMPTY WALLET

if there is another wallet then:

• it is possible to have another trezor device - NO THERE IS NO POSSIBILITY.
  • it is possible that the trezor was restored with wrong/another seed words. NO IT IS NOT BECAUSE OTHER FUNDS NOT RELATED TO YOROI ARE ALL CORRECT SO THE SEED IS CORRECT WHEN RESTORED.
  • it is possible to set a passphrase when u created the yoroi wallet ( in this case u will need to use the passphrase when u are trying to restore the wallet). NO PASSPHRASE WAS SET.

PS: check inside the trezor settings… how is the passphrase, activated or deactivated?

DEACTIVATED, ALWAYS HAS BEEN.

something must be wrong, because now trezor is exporting another set ok keys (new wallet)

I have the same problem, what should I do?

What “same problem” exactly? A Trezor connected to Yoroi, you can see transactions and balance but not do any new transactions?

Have you tried connecting the Trezor to another wallet application like ccvault.io, adalite.io or Daedalus? Do you see the same account with the same transactions and balance, there?

If not, the most common explanation is: You have used (perhaps without noticing) the passphrase feature of Trezor: https://wiki.trezor.io/Passphrase

With this, the Trezor asks you for an additional passphrase. If you leave it empty, you get to the main accounts/keys as if it was not activated. If you give a passphrase, each passphrase opens a whole new initially empty account, even if it has only a single typo. It will never tell you “wrong passphrase”, but just open another empty account.

Other possibilities: You have another Trezor, you have this Trezor reset with a differenr mnemonic seed.