15-word mnemonic phrase for Yoroi wallet

My phone died and i did not back up the mnemonic phrase of my Yoroi wallet that holds my ADA anywhere else. I don’t have my spending password either. Is there a solution to this problem? Serious answers only please. Thanks for your time in advance.

Hello,

I’am afraid no, u can restore the wallet with the 15 seed words only :frowning:

Try to fix the old phone or try to find the seed words… u should have it somewhere because u couldn’t complete the wallet installation without them written somewhere (a picture, on a paper, etc)

Cheers,

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick response. The phone is not fixable and I don’t have a picture of the seed phrase anywhere else. To not be able to recover my funds some other way is an almost unbelievable scenario. If I can’t recover funds that are rightly mine then this type of investment is definitely not for me. I suspect there are many others that feel this way. I’d say good luck to all that contributed to this project but you know…

But, u have the picture of the seed words in the old phone?

The phone is dead. It is not operational in the least.

But no cloud bkp for files? Anyway… as I said before without the seed words u can’t restore the wallet

1 Like

Amazing. Good luck to all with this very interesting project.

1 Like

The only silver lining from this nightmare scenario is that I haven’t invested more in what is a more of an investor unfriendly project than I first realised.

yes but they warned you and u acknowledged the risk

1 Like

Hi @krestivo ,

I am so sorry to hear that. Hope you wrote down the seed phrase in a paper in the past. I know that this is a painful experience. Wish you all the best.

1 Like

Appreciate the sentiment but that doesn’t help.

1 Like

Good luck raising funds for your project if that’s the attitude you and your colleagues are taking.

if you cant manage to save your words on paper then crypto is definitely not for you. The fact that nobody can recover your account but you is the whole point. You are your own bank. that means you cant put all your eggs in a picture on your phone. nor should you have ever even taken a picture of the words to begin with. as anyone with that picture or who hacked the phone could steal your funds without your spending password. i mean google takes all those images im sure. Any crypto project is like this it has nothing to do with the project. You were reckless, and you paid for it. Its not unthinkable that your phone would break its actually happens all the time. hence why you dont do that.

I hope this problem will be change in the future if possible… A lot of people lost they Seed Phrase because of a lot of reasons and it is impossible to return this… I lost my acces to my wallet because of a update from my computer… As I normaly keep my seed phrase safe i just can’t remember where… I got a mirror wallet on my mobile device and know my spending password… Still, with the knoledge i know now, i won’t be able to acces my funds… really frustrating…

While we are always really sorry, when a user loses their funds without a possibility to get it back (really: thoroughly search for the seed phrase again and again, we had quite a few cases of “Finally found it!”):

This problem cannot be “changed”. It is one of the building blocks of Cardano (and most other cryptocurrencies) that people are “their own banks”, that they are the only ones who have control over their keys. With this prerequisite, there will always be something, a secret that you have to keep safe and secure yourself and if you lose it, you will lose access.

In the current setup, this is the seed phrase. And all wallet apps go out of their way to make very clear that it needs to be kept safe and secure and that there is absolutely no way to recover funds without them. @Alexd1985 has shown example of this above.

There are other systems. If you have a bank account or an investment portfolio, there is always a help desk that can (with some effort from both sides) solve issues with lost access. But cryptocurrencies were invented as a (more or less fundamental) opposition to these systems. It is not promising to try to persuade them to reinvent centralised systems with their power to control things and thereby also the power to fix such issues.

In fact, it is one of the stronger points of critics of cryptocurrencies that people at large need such help, that lost access and fraud needs to be reversible. But this is such a fundamental point that it is not a question of “Crypto communities should fix this!”, but rather a question of “Cryptos are a very bad idea in the first place because of this!”.

Before you decide that cryptos are something that you want to try, you (and everybody else) should be well aware what the risks of “You are in full control yourself!” are.

1 Like

Thank you for your message and I trully understand. It is a shame that something like a little error can cause a lot of damage… In my case it was an update from my laptop that erased the log data I guess. What I don’t understand is that my Nami wallet on the same computer wasn’t touch. So I can acces my Nami but not my Yoroi. As I wrote my seed phrase long ago I just have to look if I can find it somewhere… it is a shame it is not like Metawask where you can see your Seed Phrase by entering your password code…There are video’s where you can fix the seed phrase when you miss one or two words… In the past that wasn’t possible… So maybe in the far future there will be more options… Till then I only will have a mirror wallet of my ADA…

That could be implemented by some wallet app. Not sure what the weighing up between security and convenience would be in that case.

But wouldn’t help you now, since Yoroi does not have the wallet anymore. But could help people, who are aware that they don’t know, where there seed phrase is, anymore, to store it again (instead of moving everything to a new wallet).

Recovering one word is something totally different than recovering the whole phrase. If it would be possible to recover the whole phrase, I could do it and steal all your funds easily.

Repairing one missing word and similar things can be done by https://github.com/3rdIteration/btcrecover for Bitcoin since 2014. They added Cardano in August 2021. And I have written https://github.com/HeptaSean/PySeedRecover for the same task, before knowing BTCRecover.

1 Like