ADA balance showing in wallet, but not on block explorer

Hello there, I’m new to the crypto space and having some issues…my total ADA balance is showing in my Daedalus wallet, but not on the block explorer… any reason behind this? Everytime i withdraw ADA from binance i generate a new wallet address. could this be the issue? Under the “transactions” tab in the wallet, it does show the 3 transactions when i received ADA from my binance withdraw…

It sounds like everything is working fine. It is also good to use a new address with each transaction, so good job doing that. That is a good practice to get into to help protect you privacy. The wallet is referencing the blockchain that it syncs on your machine. Since the wallet shows the correct balance and all of the transactions that info is certainly recorded on the blockchain. What block explorer are you using? It is possible the block explorer is not fully synced.

Thank you for the response. i am using the Cardano block explorer. Is there a way i can generate a new wallet address that shows my full ADA balance on the site? As so far i havent figured that part out… i rarely use the cardano block explorer, so maybe i might need to restart my computer…?

The Cardano Blockchain explorer should be accurate and has nothing to do with your local copy of the blockchain. Since you sent the 3 transactions to 3 separate addresses they remain in those 3 separate addresses and you should be able to see each one individually on the blockchain explorer. The wallet is only summing up the transactions visually. Under the hood you still have 3 separate addresses for each transaction. If you want all of your balance on one address on the blockchain you would have to create a new transaction and send your entire balance to a new address. I don’t know if you can do that all within one wallet though without an error. It should work but I wouldn’t try it. There isn’t any reason to do this anyways. All of your addresses and future ones not yet created are linked to your seed phrase and can be restored if ever needed. And you will have no problem spending part or all of your funds even though they are on separate addresses. The wallet will take care of that for you.

I hope that helps clear it up. Sometimes these concepts are difficult to explain and to understand in the beginning.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the help. This really cleared things up for me. Appreciate it.

No problem. I should add that if you wanted your entire balance on one address for some reason, not creating a new address for each transaction would have accomplished this. If you had sent each of the 3 withdrawals from Binance to the same address the entire balance would have been reflected on that address. But the way you did it is best practice. Have fun learning, this stuff is really fascinating.

Thanks for this post. I’m having the same issue. For other currencies, I like to bookmark my wallet’s public key via the associated block explorer. That way I can check my current balance from day to day and be sure everything is right where I left it, without having to launch a full-fledged wallet and/or connect my Ledger.

In general, I like the idea of the wallet generating separate keys for individual transactions, for privacy concerns. That means I can send and receive currency for various transactions and it’s not directly traceable to my wallet, right? Pretty cool.

But does that mean that there’s no single public key that I can put into the blockchain explorer and quickly check my balance? I have to fire up the Daedalus wallet and wait for it to synch every day if I want to keep tabs on things?

That’s right. If you are using different addresses for each transaction you would have to check each individual address on the blockchain to find it’s balance and tally them up to get the wallet balance. Sometime this year there should be a release of a light wallet, which is a wallet that doesn’t require syncing of the entire chain, and checking your balance should be a lot more efficient using that one.

2 Likes

Here is a Cardano block explorer project under development by a community member. They have enabled a feature to make a watch list of addresses and receive notifications when changes occur. This might help you out.

4 Likes

I if I wanted to send ADA and my ADA is spread on a few addresses does that increase the transaction cost since its technically multiple transactions to send it?

noob question here but how do i use cardanos block explorer??

Hi @James_McKenzie,

You can copy and paste the:

• Transaction ID
  • Wallet address
  • etc.

to check successful transaction, ADA and so on

Hey thank you so much for the reply. Yes I’ve now confirmed a particular transaction has taken place.

The next question is an external wallet has both addresses for shelly and byron formats. Does sending ADA to both addresses arrive in the same wallet???

Many thanks.

Hi there @James_McKenzie ,

I don’t think so. Shelley era wallet (with addr1xxxxxx) will be a different wallet to a Byron era wallet address. So its a different wallet if I may say.

What do you want to do? Maybe you could explain better, so we could answer your question properly. Thank you.

Hi yes of course.

BC vault wallet provides both Byron and Shelley addresses when receiving ADA. I have the wallet set up with a shelley address. However when sending ADA recently I inadvertently chose the Byron address from the drop down menu in the wallet.

There is currently an issue that BC vault are investigating that means all funds and transaction history are not visible in the wallet. I’ve been told by there team this is because cardano servers are not communicating the information currently??

So, I’m unaware of weather ADA has arrived or not.

Hope this makes more sense to you. Again many thanks for your time and information.

James.

1 Like

Then try to check your Transaction ID or the target receiving wallet address using Cardano Blockchain Explorer

For example: if you inadvertently chose the Byron address in BC vault, and you send your ADA there, try to put the Byron address to the explorer. If you ADA is successfully receive, usually you can see it there in the explorer. Or usually you get e-mail from BC fault?

Hope it helps.

Hi that’s great

Yes I can see transaction has clearly gone onto blockchain. Sent from source address and received by target address. However, the target address is listed with many other addresses??

Tapping on the target address in the list reveals further information with the correct amount of ADA sent minus the small fee.