ADA payment on e-commerce store

Hi Community,

I’ve been with ADA from the day it went on bittrex, I think it’s a great project. My partner and I, in addition to our day jobs, run an e-commerce site for jewellery called corticaboutique DOT com. We’d love to accept ADA payments and offer a significant discount for anyone paying in ADA. It’s ran through shopify, would this ever be possible?

Not sure if I’m allowed to post link.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Yes, this will be possible. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How do you know? :slight_smile: Have you seen info on it? Thanks!

We’d love to accept it. We could essentially do it now but there would have to be a strong element of trust.

there’s an interesting question for me: How do you know WHO has payed you for what?
Cardano’s whitepapers talk about metadata. I imagine that could be an order number. This way your shop backend could get notified and automated to mark this order as (fully) paid and so ready for delivery.

But at the moment there is no “description” field available in Daedalus…

Anyway: count me in a strongly interested in implementing and adopting real world use cases for all kind of

• digital services
  • material goods
  • booking requests
3 Likes

Great thread. I run a company that manufactures and sells globally and would love to be able to take Ada for payment.
I think there’s a great use case for Ada/crypto for online e-commerce esp with Visa/MC taking up to 3% or more out of every sale.
I’d give 1 or 1.5% discount for crypto just because of that and still come out ahead.
We are already looking at doing some simple transactions by letting customers simply send the prepaid order amount, turn it into store credit and they can complete the transaction.
Look forward to more updates on Cardano’s plan to attack ecommerce, as the Visa/MC stranglehold with their fat 3%sh gross cut is a juicy low hanging target imo.

5 Likes

Yeah it makes sense just from cutting fees , @werkof it may not be private but companies accept bitcoin won’t give anonymity but as you check out you pay in visa , PayPal or Ada

1 Like

Exactly that’s the interesting point. I don’t know if you ever connected e-commerce shops with traditional payment gateways (Visa, Mastercard, Paypal, …)
You get the "merchant-ID and access credentials from a (your) bank and the developer integrate it into your shop or whatever application.
Whenever a customer selects one of these digital payment methods he inserts his ID (credit card) or is redirected to the PayPal website to identify and verify that he has the money to pay you. So far nothing special or new.
But these middle-men payment providers automatically connect the seller’s payment request with the buyer’s payment. 1:1 all is clear.

Now our goal is to have a future system without any (centralized) intermediaries.
Just to clarify: I talk about normal day commerce and payments (food, services, goods, …) and not AK47s or strange chemical substances.
So for such things, it doesn’t matter to stay hidden and anonymous. The seller needs to know which of the incoming transactions is yours, in order to deliver the goods or service. Imagine there is s rush to a hot item (like a fidget spinner or such crazy useless things) and your shop gets several orders per minute. Imagine you’re a pizza-call service. You would have no idea who of the placed orders effectively paid the (correct) amount and what has to be delivered just now. Since there is no merchant id and transaction number provided by Visa or Paypal you need some “metadata”.

I’m - not yet - deep enough involved in smart contracts, to understand if this little order ID has already to be a smart contract, or if it’s only a couple of bytes as a - in the best sense of the word - payload.

3 Likes

Would like info on this. I’m a psychotherapist and would like to offer ADA as a payment option for sessions. We also deliver digital mp3 recordings and currently use paypal via woocommerce (wordpress plugin), not sure how to make it work and calculate exchange rate and fees appropriately at POS?

2 Likes

Hi Criterion811,
Yes, we just ask them to send to the wallet address and then verify it’s received/confirmed, and then apply a store credit. They can then checkout like normal.
Obviously it’s a fully manual process vs the no involvement needed for Visa/MC, but want to support crypto and also helps us better verify the customer is legit due to the additional interaction needed.
The more Cardano can help move this to a more automated process then the better they can drive merchant adoption so look forward to them improving over time for ecommerce.

2 Likes

Thanks @MegaWind. I like the thought of doing that, I think for our business model it’s not possible at this time because our products are generally low value but over time I’m very interested to see how this develops.

Maybe a payment processor for shopify! Maybe I’ll suggest it to the Shopify team!

I’ve Shopify Payment Partner status and can create the bridge between Shopify and Cardano.
If interested, please, write to payments@trademinister.net

2 Likes

Hi,
here’s also the scheme of how a payment gateway works:

1 Like