Air gapped machine cardano-cli Syntax error: "(" unexpected

I copied the cardano CLI over to the air-gapped machine and changed the permissions using
sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/cardano-cli but when i try run any command (but particularly key-gen at this point) it returns Syntax error: “(” unexpected. Hopefully this is not something embarrassingly silly…

Are u following coincashew guide to generate the KES and certificate?

So I think I have fumbled every aspect of this so far and fallen down a hell of a rabbit hole.

TL;DR If you build your cardano-node and cardano-cli on an ARM machine (you can check with command cardano-cli version) you need your air-gapped machine to also be an ARM machine. If you have a x86 air gapped machine you need to build cardano-node and cardano-cli with an x86 machine. I also could only get it to work on an x86 VM running Ubuntu 20.04 - I tried an x86 WSL(windows sub systems for linux) with Ubuntu18 and Ubuntu20.04 no dice.

You could theoretically use qemu and emulate an AARCH64 architecture but Its not worth the headache. Furthermore, it seems if you use an x86 VM with Ubuntu18 you just get thrown a GLIBC_2.29 not found error. Hope that saves someone the hours I lost down one helluva rabbit hole.

You can follow the coin cashew guide if you fulfill these criteria it seems.