An idea about decentralized education

First of all, I don’t know if anyone has already discussed this here or on the Cardano subreddit. Sorry and please notify me if so.

I regularly use Brave as my main Browser, for security and performance issues I felt with other browsers. This choice introduced me to Basic Attention Tokens (BAT) which is a pretty interesting system that allows users to receive tokens for viewing ads, that they can later award ads or content creators for their integrity and content quality. This keeps a healthy system and the ads you recieve can have your trust.

Then I thought about these regular scams we see about guru courses and online classes about whatever going to 400$ or more, only to be old videos re-uploaded or just scam content overall. But at the same time, education in several topics is completely free all over the internet.

For me, the problem is clear, there needs to be a way to filter good from bad/misleading content. And there needs to be a way to give trust to creators, who often present platforms with great content but get lost in a broken algorithm that endorses clickbait and misleading information, or even hiding important content.

If there was a token, similar to BAT, where people could navigate through a Dapp and watch educational videos or documentation and were able to award the creators with tokens to provide a way to support content consistency and quality. Maybe a Dapp is not even needed and it could be just a platform on the internet (this way it’s a little bit harder because of the current competition like youtube and other content websites that have a monopoly of views).

Let me know what you think about the idea. It’s a little rough, just something that kinda got stuck in my head.

1 Like

Hey @jh_ada I have a browser extension called Gener8 which does something similar they are basically paying for access to my eyes and then downstream, my brain.

The training/education topic is an interesting one and something I have thought about A LOT! I won’t go into it all here but I think there is a HUGE use case around de-centralising education and training.

When you think about it, the mechanics of teaching hasn’t changed in 150years. Its been optimised(ish) and its economised but its basically a teacher throwing information out in the hope that some of it sticks. That being said Teachers do an incredible job and we should be grateful for them but imagine if we gave them control over the framework they operate in.

Sorry that was a digression, to your original proposition. What all the content was free (youtube) but instead of giving a Like and subscribe for the Alphabet algorithms to exploit, monetise and trickle down you awarded token based to the value it brought to you.

A pay what its worth to you model, this IMO would incentivise the good content you spoke about.

If there was then a network of these coins you could then have an educational eco-system where in theory do an exam/submit an assignment that awarded another type of token that could be redeemed for education certificate, removing the money making and debt burden aspect of much of the higher education network.

I hope someone who reads this post understand the education systems in the African and Indian continents and can see how this could enable and apply there. India has had incredible success in utilising education as a route out of poverty but more could be done and blockchain for someone smarter than me could be the answer.

Sorry I don’t have anything more concrete for you but I think this is a good idea and something you should continue to think out with serious intention and the universe will listen :smiley:

1 Like