Availability of daedalus wallet for linux system

Of course Linux is safer but I think you are ok leaving it on a windows computer as long as you donā€™t enter a password to send ADA and donā€™t store the password on your computer. You can still sync the wallet, check balance and receive ADA without using your password, therefore little chance for an attacker to get it.

sure we can make a deb file no problem.

2 Likes

If that helps I have a running docker setup (was going to make it from scratch, but noticed some prior art, so only fixed some issues it had) here https://github.com/jaen/cardano-daedalus-docker/tree/feature/fix-daedalus-wallet.

Itā€™s slightly fiddly - you have to allow X server connections for docker using xhost, make directories for Daedalus volumes (otherwise Daedalus will fail complaining about permissions) and the Cardano node doesnā€™t seem to terminate cleanly when you send it a SIGTERM, forcing you to do sudo rm -f state-wallet-mainnet/wallet-db/open.lock to run it again later.

But otherwise it seems to mostly work ā€“ I can add a wallet and transfer funds (even though it required a restart after adding the wallet for it to show up).

Hope this helps some. Also, much thanks to the person I forked off ā€“ I couldā€™ve done all of this by myself, but thanks to that I didnā€™t have to.

PS I suggest to treat run.sh more like a reference than a script to run, because it can be a bit confusing why sometimes Daedalus wonā€™t work unless you understand that the node can fail to start due to stale lock file or similar issues. Or you can replace the last two lines with docker-compose -p cardano up and call it a day.

That would earn you something similar to an, ā€œeternalā€ gratitude from many, Iā€™ve no doubtā€¦:blush:

1 Like

ok maybe I will work on it. We need something like a ada backed feature request where people can put coin money against these ideas and developers can claim them.

2 Likes

Agreed, coding, ā€œlaypersonā€ that I am, I am, nonetheless, very big on the idea of, ā€œfeature bountiesā€. I think (donā€™t hate me) Github, et all, should integrate this possibility for projects, #justsayinā€™ā€¦

At any rate, if this comes about, I will be amongst the first to contribute. I mean, Iā€™ve got ADA, more than I am comfortable with, ā€œstrandedā€ on an exchange, which, incidentally, ā€œrobbedā€ me of funds on a transfer, wait for itā€¦on Christmas Day; and I canā€™t, ā€œbring these ADA homeā€? Well, you can imagine how frustrating that isā€¦

This is more of a priority, imho, as an early, ā€œpublic relationsā€ issue, than I think the project is aware of. Or, theyā€™ve got some ā€œmeta-strategicā€ reason, while they feel they shouldnā€™t have to care, at least at the moment. Either way, one would expect more from the ā€œDigeratiā€.

Okay, lol, okay, Iā€™m doneā€¦lol!

Thanks again for your time, and insightful input!

ok I get it, so try one of the three docker repos
https://github.com/jaen/cardano-daedalus-docker/network that should be a good starting point

1 Like

Thanks very much sir! Your time and information is greatly appreciated. In fact, please point me to your, ā€œtip jarā€, if youā€™ve got oneā€¦:wink:

Best,

sure, you will find my wallet id linked here https://github.com/h4ck3rm1k3/daedalus DdzFFzCqrhsjVNdJGABBkC8MKyWxnVDGtiJ4QBN7vkpQ5WQvu9AvxVCgd3gGS3eeJLkcu5auzHcbd2abSv5c22zajmxgeJDuoXYYxr3Q

Awww man. There seems to be some issue on Linux, with starting a node needing ipv6 to run. The scuttlebutt is that this is a ā€œbugā€, that is that it should work with only ipv4.

Unfortunately, I have to have ipv6 disabled on my Linux box, as it leaks ip to my isp, and makes my vpn service invalid. So, again, Iā€™ve had to disable it. I am unsure if the same would apply to docker images, but I would assume so?

At any rate, I know much more now than I did. So, again, thank you for that!

Best,

1 Like

Which is to sayā€¦

Error:

[*production*:INFO:ThreadId 4] [2018-01-10 22:27:47.45 UTC] using configurations: ConfigurationOptions {cfoFilePath = "./lib/configuration.yaml", cfoKey = "mainnet_full", cfoSystemStart = Nothing, cfoSeed = Nothing}
[*production*:INFO:ThreadId 4] [2018-01-10 22:27:48.47 UTC] System start time is 1506203091000000
[*production*:INFO:ThreadId 4] [2018-01-10 22:27:48.47 UTC] Current time is 1515623268471804
[*production*:INFO:ThreadId 4] [2018-01-10 22:27:48.58 UTC] Wallet is enabled!
[*production*:INFO:ThreadId 4] [2018-01-10 22:27:48.58 UTC] Using configs and genesis:
ConfigurationOptions {cfoFilePath = "./lib/configuration.yaml", cfoKey = "mainnet_full", cfoSystemStart = Nothing, cfoSeed = Nothing}
walletServeImpl initWsConnection
[*production*:DEBUG:ThreadId 4] [2018-01-10 22:27:49.92 UTC] Loading SSC global state
[*production*:INFO:ThreadId 4] [2018-01-10 22:27:49.92 UTC] Loaded SSC state:   certificates from: [0efd6f, eb6493, 104065, 6bef44, ce1e50, 1fa56b, 5ffca3]

[*production*:WARNING:ThreadId 4] [2018-01-10 22:27:49.92 UTC] notifyReady failed to notify systemd.
[node:INFO:ThreadId 4] [2018-01-10 22:27:49.92 UTC] Our verInfo: VerInfo { magic=964a, blockVersion=0.1.0, inSpecs={96: Conv 43, 49: Conv 5c, 97: Conv 3d, 34: Conv 5e, 98: Conv 37, 67: Conv 60, 83: Conv 0, 4: Conv 5, 5: Conv 4, 37: Conv 5e, 6: Conv 7, 55: Conv 62, 73: Conv 5f, 43: Conv 5d, 92: Conv 31, 61: Conv 61, 93: Conv 2b, 94: Conv 25, 95: Conv 49}, outSpecs={49: Conv 5c, 67: Conv 60, 83: Conv 0, 4: Conv 5, 5: Conv 4, 37: Conv 5e, 6: Conv 7, 55: Conv 62, 73: Conv 5f, 43: Conv 5d, 13: Conv 0, 61: Conv 61}}
[node:DEBUG:ThreadId 4] [2018-01-10 22:27:49.92 UTC] startNode, we are NodeId f6b8172-f62-4b0-9bf-2b99ef9dab
[node.ntp-check:WARNING:ThreadId 4] [2018-01-10 22:27:49.92 UTC] Failed to create sockets, retrying in 5 sec... (reason: Network.Socket.socket: unsupported operation (Address family not supported by protocol))
[node:ERROR:ThreadId 4] [2018-01-10 22:27:54.93 UTC] node stopped with exception Network.Socket.socket: unsupported operation (Address family not supported by protocol)
[node:DEBUG:ThreadId 550] [2018-01-10 22:27:54.93 UTC] waiting for [] outbound bidirectional handlers
[node:DEBUG:ThreadId 550] [2018-01-10 22:27:54.93 UTC] waiting for [] outbound inbound
[node:ERROR:ThreadId 4] [2018-01-10 22:27:54.94 UTC] Network.Socket.socket: unsupported operation (Address family not supported by protocol)
cardano-node: Network.Socket.socket: unsupported operation (Address family not supported by protocol)

and the reported ā€œipv6 issueā€, mentioned here (in the post avieth commented on Nov 6, 2017):

https://github.com/input-output-hk/cardano-sl/issues/1869

If that is of any help. At any rate, Iā€™ve appreciated your help very much.

Best,

very good find, makes sense that ipv6 is needed, it is a good way to get over a firewall and it is insecure in many ways.

Take a look around there are vpn vendors that claim to support ipv6.

Someone seems to have created a nice docker container for the wallet: https://github.com/d0x2f/cardano-daedalus-docker

Seems to work pretty well.

Official wallet packages for Linux distros should be made available by the Cardano team. Sorry to say, but all other solutions are just hacks, and most donā€™t work anyway.
I donā€™t see Windows users having to compile any code in order to use the wallet, and thatā€™s because they shouldnā€™t. It should be the same for Linux users.
Please donā€™t ignore this issue.

Thank you!

1 Like

This is by far the biggest reason for me to not get involved with Cardano.
Cardano is supposed to be technically so awesome. So how can the developers overlook a Linux wallet?
It just seems like a weird decision to me.

Linux is a common OS for people doing cryptocurrencies and every other cryptocurrency always seems to have a Linux wallet in the beginning.

And yes I know that we can spend half a day dealing with poorly documented hacks to make compiling work, but that just seems shady to me.

It took me 30 mn to make it work on my linux system. I guess this is because of the use of haskell. They had to use haskellā€™s package managerā€¦ I saw IOHK contributed a patch upstream to enhance cross compilation with haskell. Anyway, the linux version is one of the top priority now.

Daedalus under Linux is necessary for many developers. Just for the wallet, I need windows now.
I did tried building the wallet but there were some dependency version conflicts.

Just in case you missed this :slight_smile:

Iā€™m on NixOS as well. I will try to build again but last time I tried it took a lot of work to get a little working.

I had to use ldd to find what wasnā€™t linked and PatchElf to make Daedalus run at all. On top of that the launcher was not working and I did manage to connect at some point but it never quite worked for me.

I would like to try again because I do not want to use Windows. At all. Just my pref.

On the https://cardanoroadmap.com/ you can see that Linux is currently at 80%.
I started a list of Ada wallets and exchanges.
Currently there is one which supports Linux.
See: Comparison of Ada wallets and exchanges