Block producing node connection timed out

Hi there,

I just landed in the cardano scene and although I do have linux experience (which is quite rusty), I am a beginner concerning crypto. I had some old computers lying around, so I figured that I should set up a cardano stake pool :slight_smile:. I have Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS running on both servers.

I followed the guide on coincashew and the official documentation and everything seems to start up as it should except for one thing: The block producing node is not able to connect to the relay node (even when the firewall is disabled). Am I missing something?

gLiveView of the relay:

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edit:
Changing the BP node’s topology to this, is letting the node sync with the blockchain:

{
  "Producers": [
    {
      "addr": "relays-new.cardano-mainnet.iohk.io",
      "port": 3001,
      "valency": 2
    }
  ]
}

Which Linux distro are you using? If it’s red hat-based you need to disable the SELINUX.

While the node is syncing u will can’t connect on port 6000… the node will accept connections only after will be 100% synced

Wait for the nodes to sync then connect each other… I am sure this is also the advice on coincashew guide

Updated my question.
I am using Ubuntu server 20.04 LTS on both servers.

so add the IOHK nodes back on producer topology file or copy the db from relay to producer and restart the node… both options should work fine (last one is faster)

Alexd1985, I did not read anything like that but I could have missed it… I personally thought that the BPN should only connect to the relay and nothing else but I will make sure the node is synced then.

Thanks for your advice :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah, there isnt’t :slight_smile: my bad

Alexd1985, allright so my BP Node is now all synced up and telnet connections are all responding as expected.
gLiveView now shows the following:

Edit: it now shows Peers out: 1 and Peers in: 1, which seems to be okay.

And although I do only have 1 relay and 1 node, my relay node shows the following (3 peers out):

Am I misunderstanding something here? I just want to make sure everything is functioning as it should.

Thanks

You need to run a topolgyUpdater script - how about: GitHub - Josef3110/stakepool_python_tools: some tools written in python to run cardano staking pools

there’s topologyUpdater.py and a JSON file to configure the script. If you have questions - just email: me askJoe@adapool.at

I’m using it from the beginning and it works without any problems. Has many features the shell script does not provide.

The script should run every hour and the relay node should be restarted once a day. You can check https://pool.vet/ to see if your pool is properly setup