Cardano: A roll to play in Carbon Markets

World leaders are gathering in Glasgow Scotland the first two weeks of November for the 26th Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework on Climate Change (COP26).

This is a meeting of the minds and a collaboration / negotiation between the worlds most influential governing officials, and the world is attuned to their mission more than ever before, demanding to see progress.

If you do or do not agree with climate change / global warming I would ask to stop and reflect on the basis of the argument. Climate change itself is potentially irrelevant. Bear with me.

Consider this instead as THE social experiment of our time. A drive to implement a sustainable balance between energy production, usage, and offsets.

The drive to is a true test of our ability as homo-sapiens to share a conscientious movement towards revolutionizing our energy infrastructure. A chance to utilize the best of our brain power, will power, and technology in a collective effort to revolutionize our perception of sustainability, and enhance our current survival methods. (Suggested Read: Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari).

Energy consumption is what drives me as a member of the Cardano community. Cardano’s proof of stake methodology was a choice made with purpose. I’ve read energy consumption is as much as 99.9% more efficient than that of proof of work.

Further, blockchain is the perfect technology to apply as a ledger for contractually based production and use of carbon offsets to help our world leaders establish efficient carbon markets, without introducing a centralized, bureaucratic, corruptible marketplace.

And so… this topic is to bridge COP26 and Cardano by asking a very big question:

What projects are in place to uitilize Cardano’s blockchain technology as a mechanism to trade Carbon Offsets?

It seems intuitive to me that Cardano’s network has the potential to develop a decentralized protocol to facilitate this market. World leaders have “settled” in to the Kyoto Protocall and established as a new framework in the Paris Agreement (Article 6), forming concepts of carbon markets with a need for further definition. The outcome of COP26 should bring us even closer to defining the framework.

So - How can (or will) Cardano position itself in the spotlight of GOP26? Does the Cardano community have the earnest capability of bridging today’s world to ONE method of “tokenizing” a carbon credit, tracking it throughout it’s life cycle and effectively establish a path to an increasingly sustainable future?

Thanks to all for progressive thoughts & contributions.

1 Like