Cardano Community Anti Fraud Ring : How could we?

Hey All!

I’m creating this topic following the discussion here, and picking up on @CaseyMonroeCF’s remark -

So I guess I’m asking the community -
1. How can we harness the power of the community, given it’s our best tool?
2. How should the effort be best split between CF and organic community (and perhaps a proposal for fund2)?

I’m not the guy to say what is needed here, but off the top of my head, to get everyone’s creative juices flowing -

• Browser extension or other app that the “Cardano’s Anti Fraud Ring” (or something else) can join.
  • Ping other members of the Ring when a page is flagged.
  • Create reputation points for flagging or other “achievement” mechanism for Ring members.
  • A digital location dedicated to discussing/deciding if something constitutes fraud, or how much so, and what are the actions we as a community sanction.
  • Collaboration with related 3rd party platforms for reporting and coordination.
  • Make it a competition with tribute prizes for every X scam pages you were the first to report (smart contract implementation pending :slight_smile: j/k, Or am I)

Or something else entirely?

Can we defend non-community members together, from being vandalized in Cradano’s name, while protecting Cardano’s brand?
merci

@rdlrt

3 Likes

Not really an answer to your question, but worth being aware of I think: there is a wiki page dedicated to possible scams. It needs updating for recent activity but could be of some use I believe.

2 Likes

So we sort of got a location folks, where we will be able to maintain our knowledge.

That’s 11 mins in! And setting a very high bar for the rest of us, as always, Mr. @RobJF everybody! :sunglasses:.

And @rdlrt joining us from another thread saying :

So that’s one important reporting channel we have, should we keep track and/or reward vigilant reporters? What do you think?

Thanks but I really don’t deserve any kudos for this, the page has existed for ages, I could have kept it up to date but didn’t.

One good thing about it though, it mentions the official scam notification channel, which is the email address report@cardano.org.

1 Like

Unfortunately, most of the people getting scammed out of ADA are those who did zero research before sending their ADA. Some people need to learn the hard way that you cannot get something for nothing and there is no such thing as get rich quick. There will always be 5-10% who fall for this.

Having pages set up to warn people only helps protect those who are smart enough to look for more information. So we cannot protect the simpleminded who want to get rich quick without putting in the work or thought.

So how do we protect those who actually look for clarity? I like your idea of the browser plugin or maybe a discord or other chat service. Like many of us, I work from home. So I have the privilege to sit in a chatroom in the background and I could be “activated” to take action if a scammer or fraudulent account or website is discovered.

I do want to stress that I support taking action ONLY against fraudsters and scammers and not people who might be bad mouthing Cardano or have a differing of opinions than our own. Creating a volunteer watchdog collation with clearly defined goals and objectives would be great but isn’t that kind of what the Cardano Foundation is?

1 Like

Ive been reporting repeatedly to YT, even sent a message thru IG. Good work here trying to inform more and find solutions. Thank you.

1 Like

The more I report the videos on youtube as spam or misleading, ( videos about cardano, eth and btc) the more of them show up on my feed!

I think reddit is the way. This forum doesn’t have enough participation yet.

We form an anti-scam subreddit, then have people post a link whenever they find a video. Then everyone who sees it can go report. It can be like a fun little game of whack-a-mole. Maybe over time we can even figure out some way to make a sport out it and have a donations section, with the ADA acquired given out as rewards to get more people into this.

1 Like

Funny thing I mentioned YouTube income in my introduction post and now this scam starts floating around. Here’s how they do it.

2 Likes

Definitely. That’s why I put ‘Fraud’ is in the title.

I’m not sure this is a discussion we need to get into here.
For all intents and purposes our goals are to keep our little corner of the web tidy and clean of scammers (and preserve Cardano’s credibility as a brand). So, no need to protect anyone in particular.

Don’t take it from me, you heard the big man, they need us -

Can I sign you up @rlewisgrover?

Hi all! the number of testimonials that were ripped off … again yesterday I spoke with a um member on the eToro platform who owned no less than 10k in which he lost it, he got ripped off to try to win more than ADA. Incredible how morons who steal from ADAs don’t even realize that in the end it only damages Cardano’s image and also the goods they stole …

1 Like

OK everybody! Great discussion! Thank you all.
Now it’s time to put the pedal to the metal :blue_car:.

Which of us would like to join the Ring?
@ADAnycoin @randalert @rdlrt @Cada.news @precious_access

I feel that we have some outline of a vision and the scope we are after.

If any of us step up, I will have no choice but to put my money where my mouth is :money_with_wings: and actually come up with what comes next. So put me to folks, who wants to see some results?

EDIT:
@MelanieDawn, @Donnybaseball, @Trigger & @necropuddi are in. Beautiful quintet. signup filling up nicely. Who else?

What are you proposing? Think I’m unclear. Thank you.

1 Like

Hey Melanie!
I’m suggesting that whoever is interested should get together and discuss what we are going to do? How we’ll make the space safer? And what, and how much we’d like our members to contribute, together.

That’s still some prep work for me to do, so we can do that :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Sure, yeah I’m open to the discussion. Not sure how I’ll be able to contribute, but interested to see if I can.

1 Like

That’s all that’s required. Welcome aboard @MelanieDawn! The Ring is now live :space_invader:.

All 3 from YouTube July 15/20

1 Like

There is a telegram channel for reports like that, so admins can take care of stuff like this.

1 Like

Yes! Not starting yet @MelanieDawn :slight_smile: .
Let’s see who else joins and we’ll find a forum to discuss next steps.

1 Like