Cardano Foundation announces its delegation methodology - CLOSED

Hey Andy, I was just thinking about my experience with Jormanager wallet interface, makes this process probably a lot easier for you guys. I don’t know what your using for the delegations, but just wanted to let you know this interface might be the ticket for the CF ticket!

One to many wallets coming soon!

How does k affect block assignments?

It doesn’t, I assume he’s mixing up k and d.

So basically, all the pools that haven’t yet produced a single block since August will remain in the shadow.

…and 15M to each pool is too much…

a lot of errors from cardano…i’m very sad…

#smallpoolsaredying

2 Likes

Hello all,

Thank you for participating in these discussions, and helping to shape our delegation strategy. Our CEO, Frederik Gregaard, and General Secretary, Hinrich Pfeifer, have now met virtually to discuss the evolution of the Cardano Foundation’s delegation methodology. We are pleased to share this short video with you, which should help explain how our current methodology was informed, and how it was implemented. Frederik and Hinrich also discuss their plans for the Cardano Foundation’s delegation methodology in the future.

Thank you, and please stay tuned for future updates as our delegation methodology evolves.

8 Likes

I appreciate what Cardano-Foundation is doing to achieve decentralization and I mostly agree to the criteria set forth in choosing the pools. I just have a question / somewhat a suggestion…

Regarding the criteria to choose pools which is one pool only, will you be considering the pool’s registration date as a check item? I believe, a pool that was recently created is most probably created by an operator of a previously big pool that have decided to spawn up a new pool anticipating the effect of the recent k = 500 factor change. Excluding the new pools (based on registration date), would then make it easier for CF to select the one-pools on the reduced list.

1 Like

Thanks you @Cardano-Foundation for the video and update. The take away from the video is that there is not a in stone set staking methodology, but rather a constant evolving one that adjusts to the environment. Two important points Stake pools need to have, besides the requirements that are mentioned in the opening posts are:

1. Stake pools that are operating just one pool [SPACE :white_check_mark:]
  2. Stake pools that have a social good purpose [SPACE :white_check_mark: ]

1. One Fair Pool
Our pool Staker Space would like to get some support from the CF or IOG. When the SPs could register after the hard-fork. Staker Space registered pretty early on and it was gathering fair share of good delegations, there was a delay in proposing blocks by the community that was proposed by IOG as they wanted a more fair start, that made SPACE lose the advantage it had. I didn’t mind at the time as I thought that delegators would come by again, as they would recognize fair > unfair.

As time progressed the pool has now an active stake of ~950K ADA. I haven’t tried any tricks such as opening more pools, or playing around with commission (lowing and raising) I have been operating a fairly spread-out operation with 4 relays, but somehow the community doesn’t give anything about this. I hope the CF will value this steady operations by SPO’s that is good for the network.

Also what worries me is that another stakepool operator has a similar ticker name and I hope this doesn’t exclude my pool (SPACE) to be eligible for foundation delegation. I trust the CF can make the distinction between pools that have similar ticker names, but not the same SPO’s or maybe not yet. See the example image below when searching on pooltool.io for “space”

2. Social Good Part

I have been working on plan called Fair Squares, initially to be developed on substrate as a PoC. Apart from the framework that it will be used on,I will dedicate my time to create social coordination tools where people can organize themselves from the bottom-up that will have a social impact. Planning to create a dedicated page and promote it better the coming time as I will work independently on this and will dedicate my fulleat time, where I will rely on my pool together with other PoS protocols operations as my main income. You can find in the EU report on housing how it needs a structural change.

Summary Fair Squares

Fair Squares(FS) is focused on creating a fair housing market for investors and renters. Houses can be owned and rented out within rules and regulations, by consumers and SMEs. The fairness of the protocol is where the platform won’t allow more return than is set by it’s governance processes. The governors are it’s users and the council that is elected. This allows the investors still to get a decent return on their investment in a safe asset class and renters to get affordable housing.The novelty lies in it being an open system where communities can own houses and newcomers can easily enter the market, where rental properties are affordable and the entire process is transparent and fair.

3. Spreading the word

One of the best meet-ups in the Netherlands when we still could come together was co-organized by me, @Andy_Hendrikx, @Bullish and @tom.kelly. I forged the program, I had experience in organizing ETH-dev meetups and also organized Polkadot meetups all at the same place.

The only speaker at the time the CF could provide was David Bernardo, which would be a very thin meet-up as there were not many community initiatives at the time. I scraped the IOHK website to find someone and found Edsko de Vries who lived closeby to join and had an interesting topic. After that Manuel Chakravarty had a short talk and Philip Wadler hijacked the meetup after that. This was on of my greatest meetups and I co-organized and I did this so people would be informed and educated on what is to come. The Meetups were free, there was food and drinks that were provided by the company I work for. It was a full meetup 110+ persons were in the room.

But then when it’s time to be recognized for these efforts for spreading the word, nobody ties this to the pool SPACE. I hope by writing all this I have successfully reintroduced myself and my pool

If a pool is part of the group - what does it matter when it was registered. By being part of a group it is currently not qualified. Provided, such link can be entertained.

Ticker has no bearing on the delegation methodology. What matters is the unique ID in your pool’s information and no known group link to establish independence.

1 Like

Interesting. I tried to get this answer for so many weeks. E.g. we’ve had 5% set from the very beginning. So to qualify - it has to be 4.9% then instead? Not sure why this couldn’t have been 5 or less to avoid such, but okay.

Group information would indeed simplify the process. Was just thinking of refining the process, if grouping might have been missed somehow. (I’d look for an example if I’d find one)

@danny_cryptofay I’m sorry if I missed that question. Whether it is <5% (less than) or <=5% (less than or equal) was a completely arbitrary decision. It could have been either one or the other, the important thing is that it is determined exactly.

Nah, I have asked someone from foundation on twitter and he said to come back to clarify. No worries.

7 January 2021 re-delegations by the Cardano Foundation

The 45 stake pools the Cardano Foundation re-delegated to on 7 January 2021 are (in alphabetical order):

1STKE,
ABBA*,
ADI,
ADNT,
ALPHA,
ALPS,
AMAR,
ANQA,
APOOL,
ARKA,
ART,
AUTO,
BOOST,
BPOOL,
BROTH,
BYADA,
CHIL,
CRTX,
CSR,
CYPOQ,
DMOON,
FIRE,
FRUIT,
HOARD,
IWH,
KARMA,
LAGO,
LIFT,
LOCO,
LPR,
LSS,
MAG,
MANA,
ORCA,
POF,
SEGV,**
SILVR,
SoPHi,
TSS,
UNION,
VEGAS,
VIBE,
XORN,
ZELDA.

**EDIT: As attentive community members have already pointed out, there were two pools in the list that did not fulfil their pledge. Therefore, they were re-delegated:
ABBA → MAML
SEGV → PARAD

10 Likes

Thank you! :pray:

2 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot im very happy to see that i have the support from the foundation
Cheers from Chile

2 Likes

How Does BBHMM stake pool get included in this? We were part of the ITN and had a pool up during the Shelly Hardfork.

• Hold between ₳25,000 and ₳2mn as a pledge, We are at around 600,000
  • Operated by a stakepool operator that only runs one pool (difficult to verify but best effort attempt), Only 1
  • Have a normal operating cost of less than 5% variable rate, and a fixed rate of around ₳340,
    We are at 5% and 340
  • Does not have a high number of ada already staked (less than 5% saturation),
    We are around 1 million
  • Have validated blocks successfully in the past,
    We have 3 blocks now
  • Have not been delegated to by the Cardano Foundation in the last four rounds
    We have not

Good move, glad to see the Foundation continue support of community stake pools. :smiley:

2 Likes