Cardano Media Guidelines On Official Channels - Your Input Is Desired (Stake Pool Advertising)

‘Rule has been in place…’ this is clearly not been communicated to the community if there is this much confusion! And there seems to be many people who think this should not be a rule.

If I publish a video, that happens to have an advertisement for a stake pool, the video should not be removed for that reason! This entire discussion is such a waste of time because community members should not be censored bc of a stake pool.

This is the same type of ridiculousness as telling ambassadors that they cannot use the word ‘ambassador’ in their stake pool name, but any other operator in the world is able to.

1 Like

and that’s okay. Take the video down. I am not talking about this one video in particular, I am speaking of content creation with advertisements in general. If you read my reply I mention that it’s okay if some get removed but moving towards a point where all are removed is my issue.

This is incorrect, I have been posting my videos with my stakepool advertisements even before the ITN. Three weeks ago the rules have started to be interpreted differently. I have even had moderators state that my content with the ads follows the rules.

Those same rules are now being broken. I am not talking about golden spoon or special treatments. I am specifically talking about being able to post content with advertisements in general.

I can post probably 50+ videos all with stakepool advertisements that have always been allowed and supported by some moderators.

These videos are on reddit, telegram, and the cardano forum. There were never any issues until you set the precedent by removing one video on telegram. Following that they were removed on every forum.

The whole “they must have slipped under the radar” is wrong too as many of these videos have been at the top of reddit.

Three weeks ago the rules have started to be interpreted differently.

Your videos were probably not checked , and expected to follow the rules - especially given the status. The rule has been in place since Dec 2019, and you’re welcome to check with Moderation teams.

I can post probably 50+ videos all with stakepool advertisements that have always been allowed and supported by some moderators.

If in official telegram channels, Please do - if there have been some that slipped while we were unable to , you’ll probably find hundreds more that werent allowed to :slightly_smiling_face:
I do not see reddit much , and sure there might have been lapse - I saw that you were responded to before that there could have been lapse before. But I can definitely vouch for telegram platform :slightly_smiling_face:

#rules trigger is place multiple times almost every day on telegram platform. Again, I am not active on reddit and you should absolutely feel free to challenge rules / highlight discrepancy if found - but when you join ambassadorship you sign contract with CF, you acknowledge not using ambassadorship as part of advertisement.

I am just adding clarifications in the web being created around censorship around moderation without providing the complete picture. But I know how it works (i.e. tendency to have the last word and conclude with something that supports a view as natural human behaviour - myself included), I will sign off here (I just wanted to respond to Umed mainly - who took a tangential approach suggesting there was a conflict of interest with running pool while one who deleted reddit post does not run a pool), and will let CF onboard further inputs with respect to rules :+1:

Well this is the answer right here. I have been able to post my videos on reddit and the forums without any issue since day one. The second I start to use telegram too you remove the post. That sets precedent and then the reddit removal comes, following that the forum removal.

Then one week later no more stakepool advertisements are allowed at all, even if it provides value.

All I am trying to say is that I think that if content provides value then it should be able to stay even if it includes and advertisement. It’s okay if some get removed, I get it. But I shouldn’t be removed from all public forums because I include SPO ads, I don’t see this practice as fair for the reasons I brought up earlier. If I were advertising anything else it would be okay.

I agree, but this should be the same way for content creation.

An ad in a video is the same as putting it in your reddit post/telegram name.

It’s a small portion of the actual content provided. The content for the names would be them helping new people with questions.

If it’s a video about a stakepool then it should be removed. The same way if someone messaged in the telegram just to advertise their pool.

What other is a stakepool presentation than marketing?

If you are not happy mxing marketing with more informative subjects, create a separate marketing section on the forum, under which also the stakepool presentations fall.
There they can all market themselves silly and visitors to the forum will know where to go to compare products.
Probem solved…

1 Like

Yes @bigezdaddy exactly for this reason we have created such possibilities, for example in the forum: Pool Introductions - Cardano Forum

On Reddit: Reddit - Dive into anything

Also do not forget the channels, based on community initiatives, on Telegram like: Telegram: Contact @adastakepools (for pools) and Telegram: Contact @CardanoYouTube (for YouTube content) that we will promote and encourage going forward with #triggers like we do already we trading/price related content and the trading/price channels.

(This means that there will be a special trigger that leads the people into these channels like the existing trading trigger.)

1 Like

I will chime in her because I see some factually incorrect statements which are putting the Cardano Foundation and/or it’s employees/Ambassadors in a bad spotlight.

My content got removed and not the content from other people
Not all my videos have been removed consistently

We wish we could have a success rate of 100% but the reality is that we don’t have the resources available to watch every video from beginning to end from every one who posts their content on our official channels.

• “No spamming or low value content. Posts and comments including referral links*, phishing websites, affiliate links, (stake pool) advertisements or duplicate content will be removed and repeat offenders will be banned. DM an admin before posting any telegram ref. links.”

This is the guideline that I have been following on all forums for over a year. To me this guideline makes perfect sense. Remove low value content that is clearly made for an advertisement but keep content that has an advertisement if it provides value and the advertisement itself is not the purpose of the video.

I am sorry, that is not how the rule should be interpreted. This is the main messaging:

“No spamming or low value content. Posts and comments including referral links, phishing websites, affiliate links, (stake pool) advertisements or duplicate content will be removed and repeat offenders will be banned. DM an admin before posting any telegram ref. links.”

And as the messaging stands now it applies to all (stake)pool advertisements whether it is 1 seconds or one hour long.

The Cardano Foundation is censoring me

Well, from your point of view perhaps. What people often forget is that we and our Ambassadors are also tasked with keeping the channels clean and mediate between disagreements or on negative sentiment. Fact is that if we don’t keep a close finger on what appears on our official channels we are basically creating a precedent and saying “If he can do it you can do it as well” with a potential downward slope as a result because most individuals only see it from their own perspective, and not the full picture.

If the rules have changed, they need to be spelled with clear-cut cases.

Agree. But to be frank the rules haven’t changed. Price related rules have been there basically since inception and stakepool advertisement rules some what before the start of the ITN era. Were they not 100% executed? Absolutely - but please refer back to the beginning of my comment for an explanation.

SPO’s cannot be moderators

That is up to the Cardano Foundation to decide. I can absolutely vouche for my boys and girls that they are objective and unbiased.

I now have practically no place to promote my content/pool/etc.

False. We have:

And there seems to be many people who think this should not be a rule.

Many people? I yet have to see more than 10 unbiased people complaining about the rules.

‘Rule has been in place…’ this is clearly not been communicated to the community if there is this much confusion!

Reality is that this has been communicated well enough in the channels since those rules were introduced and those rules together with the people from our ecosystem have shaped our community as it is today. Do you think that the full picture - rules, officials (+channels) and community members together - are not healthy, mature and good enough as they are today?

Zoom out. This is a “Tempest in a teapot”

That being said - we will probably communicate revised rules around SPO advertisements somewhere in the near term to make it more clear about what is and what is not allowed.

10 Likes

I don’t know why this post was titled “Your Input is Desired” when none of y’all are even listening to each other.

I think this entire thread is clickbait because I think there was no intention of changing, or improving the rules, nor any added value to the rules to support content creators. Shunning your content creators who also advertise is likely a bad idea.

Here is what I sum up so far:
“Go sit in the corner we made for you”.
“We want your input, but we are not changing the rules”.

3 Likes

Hello Rick,

Thank you for stopping by.

I will tell you why it was called this way - because I wished everyone to come together and come up with improvements and suggestions outside of telegram/twitter narrative.

Again, I must insist to start suggesting actual improvements and suggestions. These back and forth combos are not advancing the issue forward meaningfully. Do I have unrealistically high expectations of everyone here?

I would really enjoy reading actual suggestions of what these guidelines could look like so that we can support each other.

4 Likes

I suggest:

1. 40:1 ratio. For every 40 minutes of content 1 minute of advertising, any advertising. Pools, dApps, proposals, whatever.
  2. Pool tickers,dApps, or banner displayed anywhere in the content the entire time not to exceed 10% of the display surface.
  3. Let the community police itself. (Cardano moderators cannot watch videos at the rate they are created, which is a good thing for Cardano. As long as content creators stay ahead of the game we are winning. The more content and content creators the better.)
4 Likes

This is a wonderful start. I appreciate your input, Rick. Let’s see if we can get more of this around the table following your lead.

Thank you, sir.

1 Like

It seems like you have completely missed what I said.

My post didn’t state this “My content got removed and not the content from other people”.

Nor did I state this in my post “The Cardano Foundation is censoring me”.

Nor did I state this “I now have practically no place to promote my content/pool/etc.”

I am stating simply that Cardano content creators should be able to post their content that adds value even if it includes a stakepool advertisement.

Here’s why I think you’re missing the point here. You linked me all places that I can advertise my stakepool.

My content is not about advertising my stakepool, it’s about education. It always has been, by advertising my stakepool I am trying to make the educational content sustainable.

Posting my videos on reddit is not the same as:

These are all places to advertise your stakepool and nothing else, the other two subreddits are trading absolutely zero of my videos have been about trading. These are not places for educational content about Cardano.

If my video were had a Dollar Shave Club ad it would be okay, but because I am a stakepool operator I can not post my video with an ad for my stakepool. That makes no sense.

1 Like

Thanks Danny.

We are going to have the same problem with dApps because we are going to have for example:

20 or 30 good dApp projects for every 100 worthless shitcoins running on Cardano (as an EXAMPLE)

and it will make the this Pool Operator/YouTube debate look like a walk in the park. This is just a warm up for 2021. Mark my words. This forum and Reddit is going to get clobbered with a pile of crap coins for every super coin.

Warm regards,
Rick

3 Likes

@bigpey Thank you for your input.

Would you be able to suggest some skeleton guidelines of what you think would work the best and how it promotes the goal that we are after here collectively?

Namely - specifics that can help us anchor the conversation into something that can be tangible for consideration. From there, we can work our way upwards and I think it will enable CF to engage in a positive way.

Thank you in advance, Peyton.

1 Like

Let’s take a step back and ask ourselves why shouldn’t people be able to include a stakepool ad in their video and post it to the forums?

Is it:

• An unfair advantage?
  • Are we worried about the brainwashing of our precious delegates as Pryiank said?
  • Worried about spam?

The first two make no sense and if it’s just constant spam then the rules say to remove it.

“We wish we could have a success rate of 100% but the reality is that we don’t have the resources available to watch every video from beginning to end from every one who posts their content on our official channels.”

• This is another thing that makes it seem like you completely missed the point.
  • I have never once had a video taken down until three weeks ago. I have posted videos multiple times a week for over a year with stakepool advertisements in every single one of them. Priyank set a precedent on telegram and then following that my videos are removed.
  • You can’t claim we weren’t perfect when every single video was allowed and many were commented on by mods saying nice job.
  • The rules are being interpreted differently and you can’t claim otherwise.

Absolutely. On a side note; could you let me know where you read “This is for Peyton?”

You might want to rectify this now, since the whole post was not addressed to someone specifically. It is just a summary on the complaints and concerns I have seen of the past few weeks.

Factually incorrect. Please read our rules carefully:

• “No spamming or low value content. Posts and comments including referral links, phishing websites, affiliate links, (stake pool) advertisements or duplicate content will be removed and repeat offenders will be banned. DM an admin before posting any telegram ref. links.”

Allow content creators to post their videos even if they include an advertisement if that’s not the sole purpose of the video.

There is a tangible difference between a stakepool advertisement and “k in increasing, this is what this means for you”.