Correct value for node.counter

So I was just issuing a new node.cert and updated node.counter on my airgapped offline machine. Now the thing is that I am not sure what the value of node.counter should be for my system.

cardano-cli query kes-period-info \
    --${NODE_CONFIG} \
    --op-cert-file node.cert

returns the following:

It says that the ‘operational certificate counter agrees with the node protocol state counter’.
I am still a bit icky though, as the qKesNodeStateOperationalCertificateNumber equals 2 and the qKesOnDiskOperationalCertificateNumber equals 3, which have always been the same value until now. My node.counter value is 4. Are these all correct values? (especially since vasil hard fork has required OpCert + 1)

Thanks a lot,

You did not mint any certificate so far with the certificate with the counter 3. Then you created the certificate with the counter 4.
If you don’t mint any block before the hard fork, then it is NOT OK. After the hard fork, the next block minted should be with 3 (assuming you don’t mint any block before the hard fork).
After the hard fork, every new operational certificate should have the counter “qKesNodeStateOperationalCertificateNumber” + 1.
For more details you can take a look at the guide here: Adjust Node.Counter for KES - How to Guides for Coincashew Method Cardano SPOs

4 Likes

The original documentation from the dev team is at cardano-node/7_KES_period.md at master · input-output-hk/cardano-node · GitHub

3 Likes

@georgem1976 @ParadoxicalSphere Thanks a lot guys, this was exactly the information I was looking for. I will keep an eye out until the hard fork. If I haven’t minted a block before then, I will rollback the node.counter value.

Thanks George

1 Like