Daedalus - Currently multi-threadded/ using multiple cores?

Anyone know if Daedalus is currently taking advantage of multiple threads/cores? Just wondering if we can expect performance increases coming down the line

1 Like

Yes.

However the bottleneck is and likely will always be the Cardano relay node that is fully syncing in the background more so than the Daedalus wallet application itself, especially as the ledger and transaction history increase over time.

I had done a lot of experimentation with making this faster earlier in the year but at this point for 99% of users I would recommend another wallet. For example outside of development (delegation, transfers, etc) I only use ADALite now. For development needs (dapp connectors, cardano integration, etc) I have been using Nami more recently.

1 Like

The default runtime environment configuration for the cardano-node on which Daedalus performance most depends is, as far as I can tell, limited with the -N option to 2 cores (or 1 if you’re on ARM architecture):

It’s hard to tell whether these default build parameters are in the currently released Daedalus, but I can say empirically that Daedalus will only ever use 2 cores on my 6-core machine… though it distributes nicely between those cores so it only uses ⅓ of each of them. :crazy_face:

I’ve asked in this forum before how we might be able to tune the network or performance settings of Daedalus, and got no response either from Daedalus developers or third parties more knowledgeable about Daedalus internals…

… though not being able to modify these configuration files could well be part of Daedalus’s well-audited security architecture. If I had my way I’d have a Daedalus UI option to start cardano-node with the -N option instead of a hard coded figure like -N2 so it would use all available cores. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

interesting , thank you for that thoughtful & detailed reply

1 Like

@ADA_user here is the link to the python topology helper I mentioned from earlier this year. There is also some good information about Daedalus/Cardano performance issues on that thread and linked posts. Most of this is still relevant however at this stage in the game if you aren’t using gigabit connection you will syncing for days on a fresh node no matter what you do!

1 Like