Daedalus Installation Issue

My Daedalus 5.2 Stopped Working and it was stuck at Replaying my Ledger… at 75%. After trying different ways to fix this, I came to the conclusion to delete and uninstall my Daedalus and Reinstall it. I had already moved my Daedalus Mainnet Folder from my C: Drive to my G: Drive… and while uninstalling I erased every file/folder remaining in drives C and G.

When I went to re-install Daedalus… This time it asked me where I want to install the program. I chose Drive G… the app has been slowly synching… I’m at around 75%… BUT

BUT, now I noticed my small SSD Drive – Drive C – is getting full… It looks like Daedalus is still using that Drive even though I specified Drive G… Why??

I am assuming daedalus is still putting the Block data on Drive C and only installed the program on Drive G – instead of installing everything on Drive G… At this rate, I am not sure if I have enough space for Daedalus to finish the installation…

If that’s the case, do I need to interrupt the installation and redo everything using Drive C then move folders to Drive G as I did before? But then, not sure I have 65GB of space. So can I do??

What happens if the blocks data fits on my Drive C and I want to move it to Drive G… Will it overright my app on Drive G if I make this move?

Do you really want to use a full node wallet like Daedalus? If not, id recommand getting a litewallet like Typhon or Eternl. These wallet doesnt need to download the whole blockchain and are easier to use.

1 Like

Hi. Here are the instructions to move the chain folder to another location:

Or, as @Zyroxa has suggested you could use a light wallet interface instead. You can simply use your seed phrase or hardware wallet to restore your wallet in a different wallet interface. Your wallet is on the blockchain and these ‘wallet interfaces’ are basically tools you can use to view and interact with your wallet. You can find a list of them here:

https://cardano-community.github.io/support-faq/Wallets/list/

Hello @Tchairdjian

My version of Daedalus shows that 115GB are needed for a full node version at the moment. If you don’t have that much space available you will not be able to run Daedalus on that drive.
DaedalusSize

Thank you guys. 115GB? That’s getting crazy. I have more than 2 TB of space on my G Drive, but the problem seems to be with Daedalus insisting to install itself on Drive C for some reason despite my initial instruction to it to go to drive G… IOG needs to do a better installation procedure…

I think, as some already mentioned. I see no benefit whatsoever to run a Full Node anymore. I already set up lite wallet - Eterni – and paired it with my Ledger Nano X.

Thank you. I have more than 2 TB of space on my G Drive, but the problem seems to be with Daedalus insisting to install itself on Drive C for some reason despite my initial instruction to it to go to drive G… IOG needs to do a better installation procedure…

I think, as you already mentioned. I see no benefit whatsoever to run a Full Node anymore. I already set up a lite wallet - Eterni – and paired it with my Ledger Nano X. It’s working great.

1 Like

Feel free to post here again if you have any questions regarding Eternl. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you. I just did. Eterni. it’s too bad Daedalus can’t do a proper installation so we can direct it to a particular drive from the start because my G drive has more than 2 TB space on it.

Btw there is a guide on how to install Daedalus on a other drive here → Define the Location for the Blockchain Directory in the Initial installation of Daedalus in Windows 10

But to be honest 99,99% of the users doesnt need to run a full node wallet.

Like I said earlier, I know how to move it to another Drive once Daedalus is already installed and running. The problem is Daedalus appears to “insist” to install itself on my C Drive which is a small SDD drive and has hardly any room.left on it < 40GB. I tried to direct it to Drive G. It did install the app on Drive G, but then it started saving the Blockchain copy on drive C and that went nowhere LOL… It kinda defeats itself no?

Those instructions basically work the same before it has completely synced (and uses the full 115 GB). You could just abort the sync, move the chain over to G, and start again.

But as everybody says: there is very, very, very rarely a need to run a full node wallet app, especially if you have a hardware wallet. And even with a seed phrase wallet, the security gains of Daedalus are minimal … and not related to the 115 GB full blockchain madness at all.

2 Likes

Good to know. Thanks. I didn’t know it. But I agree, I don’t see any benefit in using Daedalus anymore. I used to think I am helping the Blockchain like when I run a Full Node for Bitcoin.