Ever thought about starting a stake pool? - beginner video walkthroughs using Coincashew

Hi Cardano friends, my best effort to contribute to the Cardano vision is making stake pool setup as easy as possible for the public. Ideally enabling basically anyone to set up a pool, whether it be a wale, or small ADA holder.

I have made beginner guides using Coincashew website and think most anyone can now follow along and have a working, safe, stake pool. Get grandma creating an ADA stake pool for knitters worldwide (maybe not, but you get the idea). :slight_smile:

setting up a Cardano relay node on a VPS

Air-gapped computer

Block producer

As time permits I would like to follow this up with,

• updating a Cardano node

• Setting up a router if using your own computers (bare metal pool)

• Moving the block producer to another computer

8 Likes

Thanks. Interesting choice to not have any verbal narrative. Have you thought of recording a voice over to help walk people through the steps?

Great video overall though. Iā€™ll definitely watch all of them,.

1 Like

Thanks. I find when I do any voice that I end up doing a million takes before Iā€™m happy.

Using text overlays stops any rambling and keeps everything on point.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your guide.
I donā€™t have advanced knowledge in IT & Dev, so I want to setup a pool on Testnet.
3 Months later, iā€™ll try on Mainnet.
Do you have any guide for Testnet.
Thanks!

1 Like

Hi, the same guides should work, but whenever you see ā€œā€“mainnetā€ in the coincashew commands, you will need to replace it with ā€œā€“testnet-magic 1097911063ā€

So command the command:

slotNo=$(cardano-cli query tip --mainnet | jq -r ā€˜.slotā€™)
echo slotNo: ${slotNo}

Would become:

slotNo=$(cardano-cli query tip --testnet-magic 1097911063 | jq -r ā€˜.slotā€™)
echo slotNo: ${slotNo}

1 Like

Thanks so much,bro.
One more question please.
Iā€™m going to setup a stake pool on Testnet.
So, is there any cheaper server that you can recommend?

Contabo is the cheapest Iā€™ve seen. If anyone has found a cheaper VPS service, Iā€™d be very interested :blush:

4 Likes

Thanks so much :pray:

1 Like

I have been using Hetzner since 2 years for personal projects (non-crypto related). Thanks @MnMCharityPool_0pct for pointing out Contabo! :smiley: Also happy to see their blog post saying ā€œCryptocurrencies utilizing proof of stake approach are welcome at Contabo.ā€

Edit: I decided to research a bit and didnā€™t find any evidences that Contabo is eco-friendly or at least adheres to any carbon offset initiatives :disappointed:, so for the time being I am gonna stay with Hetzner.

2 Likes

When choosing a provider please consider to select one which is not heavily used by other pools to reduce dependency from individual hosting providers

1 Like