Guide Raspberry Pi 4 HTN Setup [Pi Pool]

Thanks for the answers.
I will try to set up the Pi on the Testnet.

Hi @alessandro

Thanks for your tutorial, it’s really helpful.

However, I’m hitting a wall for two days now when I do “cabal build all”:

aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc: error: /home/furya/cardano-node/dist-newstyle/build/aarch64-linux/ghc-8.6.5/byron-spec-ledger-0.1.0.0/build/Byron/Spec/Ledger/Update.dyn_o: No such file or directory

I’ve tried different project version, delete all and download again, etc… It always fails at this Update.dyn_o file.

I’m not used to cabal, do you have any idea how I can compile this file ?

Maybe it works if you do:
cabal install cardano-node cardano-cli
and then
cabal build all

Let me know if that works.

already did that ^^ same error in the end

What version are you trying to build?
I would try 1.14.2 if you haven’t.

I tried 1.14.[0,1,2] and 1.13.0
They all failed at the same point :confused:

At this point, I’m considering reinstalling the OS.

Edit: I’ve opened a new topic to discuss this issue.

@alessandro Just to inform you that I’ve been able to build the missing file by creating a swap partition on my SSD.

4GB of RAM is not enough to build Cardano-node.

2 Likes

Nice, yeah building takes a lot of RAM. I had no problems with the 8GB version. Worked flawless.

1 Like

Agree. I went through the same with a 4Gb RP4 and it always complained on memory. With the 8Gb RP4 it worked first time.

2 Likes

What would you recommend for the 250GB SSD? I was doing a quick search and saw that the Samsung 950 Pro NVME works well for the RPi4 but it’s a bit too pricy for me, would cheaper alternatives work? Also I don’t have any SSD cable adapters, what would be a good one to get as new? Thanks.

Will this SSD and this adapter last on the RPi4 running 24/7?

1 Like

I think it doesn’t matter which SSD you buy. I have the SanDisk Plus SSD.
The Eluteng Sata Adapter should work without problems. I have Sabrent and it works too, but I needed add quirks.

1 Like

Thanks a ton! For the advice and for the guide. From what I see online, quirks is on the software side and not an accessory/hardmod, is that correct?

yes, it’s just a small software modification. This tutorial helped me:

1 Like

Any recommendations for cooling? Regular heat sinks? Cooling cases? Fans?

I’m using an aluminium case. Actually the case had two cooling fans on it, but they were too loud hahaha, so I removed them and I’m just using the case for passive cooling. That’s more than enough, because CPU usage is just about at 5-6% with two running nodes.

1 Like

Wow, never thought it was that light on cpu usage. Was expecting somwhere from 10-20%. The RPi 3 I used for multimedia was almost always at 80% cpu usage. Props to the devs at IOG. Gonna try the aluminium case. May add a fan during summer heatwaves. Thanks as always.

The building and syncing process will take a lot of cpu and ram. But as soon as the node is running normally, the cpu and ram usage is very low. The Pi can handle this easily.

do not buy Nvme. the enclosed cases are not compatible with raspberry. ive tried them all from amazon. i end up with a 500gb SSD. anyway there is no need for nvme . you will not feel the difference

1 Like

Great man. Will this work for the ROCkPI too?

Maybe yes, if you get Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on the Rock Pi, the guide should work out of the box.