Introducing [RAOOL] - Raspberry stakepool

Hello folks!

I would like to share with you my own pool - Raspberry stakepool.

As you guessed it, the pool runs on a Raspberry Pi 4 with 4Gb RAM. This small beast is linked to internet via a FTTH connection so it is always synced with the testnet.

All details are visible in the following monitoring webpage which is updated every 10 seconds.
https://www.raspberry-stakepool.fr/

Example of displayed informations:

Here are all the informations about it:

• Ticker: RAOOL
  • Pool ID: ab1d87a6bc722d94dea5494e9c5f96469cd7777db73da7be2fc6f29a43749415
  • ​Fee: 3%, no fix fee
  • Server Specs: Raspberry Pi 4 running Linux-4.19.97-v7l±armv7l-with-debian-10.3
  • Ram: 4Gb
  • ​Storage: 64 Gb

It’s obviously a private server hosted at home, in a small town near Paris, France.

As it’s energy cost is extremely low, I keep it plugged in 24/7.

If you have any question, feel free to ask!

Have a wonderful day!

12 Likes

Very cool, I’ll be keeping an eye on your pool as it would be great to see low cost pools spread around the world.

Yo! Thanks for your enthusiasm :slight_smile:

Despite the fact that the pool hasn’t been assigned a block for now, I’m really impressed with the fact that it’s able to stay in sync.

Even when I have to reboot the pool because of a system upgrade or Jormungandr upgrade, it catches up really quickly. Devs did, and are still doing, an amazing job!

After a few weeks, my pool finally created its first block! :smile:

8 Likes

Hi, How are you finding running your pool? I’m interested in knowing how difficult it is to run and maintain the Pi.

Ps. Congrats and on creating your first block.

Carey

1 Like

The hardest part is the configuration, but it’s not difficult at all. English is not my mother tongue but I could do it, so everyone can :slight_smile:

Here is the link to the tutorial I followed: https://www.organicdesign.com.br/Set_up_a_Cardano_staking_pool

Once it’s been configured, it runs smoothly. All you have to do is keep it updated every time a new version is out. That part take less than 5 minutes.

I’ve written some simple shell and python scripts to help me boot the node and start the monitoring displayed on my webpage for example. This was the longest part in order to get them right, but those scripts are not mandatory at all.
You can easily rely on the jormungandr & jcli commands.

If you want to run a node, or just by curiosity, I strongly suggest you to try the tutorial. You’ll be amazed by how easy it is.

8 Likes

Thanks that’s really helpful of you, I really appreciate it, and I’ll take a look at the links and sent across. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I understand your fee. Any idea what the net return to us in % will be?

Yo!

One block provides around 800 ADA to the pool.

The only block the pool has been assigned, rewarded it with 840 ADA (You can check it on PoolTool.io).
So, as the owner, I took 3% of it (25 ADA), the rest was distributed amongst the delegators (815 ADA). As I was the only one who delegated to the pool at that time, I got the full amount ^^

I haven’t check but I believe your % reward will depend on the % of ADA your share represent.

Right now, there are 577k ADA delegated. Only 20k are mine.

So, if I’m correct and if the pool is assigned a new block, I presume I would only have:
20*815/577 = 28.2 ADA as reward + 25 ADA as fee.
All delegators would be rewarded 815 - 28.2 - 25 = 761,8 ADA splitted amongst them depending on the size of their share.

3 Likes

In other words, your fee will be 3% of the award. 97% of the award will be split amongst the others in the pool. If I have 400,000 Ada and there is 4,000,000 in your pool I’ll get about 10% of the 97% shared reward.

I think the issues going forward her that there’s a 3% fee, and how big is your stake pool. Then it’s just a matter of how many blocks does your pool stake earn. I’ll just have to wait and see once the pools are out and what the odds are of your producing any blocks.

Is it guarantee that every pool will produce at least some blocks? It seems that there’s a large discussion that avoiding a super big pool is better – any thoughts on that?

A very quick question. I realize your pool is part of the test, and your pool contains only your ADA.

It took a couple weeks to produce one, but how many ADA were in your pool stake in total - about?

In other words, your fee will be 3% of the award. 97% of the award will be split amongst the others in the pool. If I have 400,000 Ada and there is 4,000,000 in your pool I’ll get about 10% of the 97% shared reward.

That’s what I think.

I think the issues going forward her that there’s a 3% fee, and how big is your stake pool. Then it’s just a matter of how many blocks does your pool stake earn. I’ll just have to wait and see once the pools are out and what the odds are of your producing any blocks.

Is it guarantee that every pool will produce at least some blocks? It seems that there’s a large discussion that avoiding a super big pool is better – any thoughts on that?

There is no guarantee for a pool to produce a block.
I don’t know if I’ve been lucky to be assigned a block in three weeks after I started the pool or not, but this very unique block rewarded me with more ADA than the total of what I earned since the beginning of the ITN.
I’ve never tried to delegate my stake to pools larger than 0.3% because I always thought it wasn’t worth it. There may be some maths theories about which type of pool is better depending on the size of your stack, but it’s absolutely not my field of expertise :slight_smile:

how many ADA were in your pool stake in total - about?

Around 21K ADA that’s why I consider myself lucky on this block.

I’ve done a little bit of research and hand almost everyone agreeing stay away from the large pools.

Insight on the rating page where it talks about the size of pools, one has a red triangle that is just too overloaded already. I’ve done a little bit of research and hand almost everyone agreeing stay away from the large pools.

Insight on the rating page we are talking about the size of pools, one has a red triangle that is just too overloaded already

What do you think the overall return might be?

On the page I want to some pools are averaging between 8% and 11%. Most had smaller returns but there were five or six that were in this range

The average return for the ITN is supposed to be around 10%.

Quick update:

So far, the pool has been elected as slot leader for three blocks, but only produced one.

Here is the last it was elected as slot leader, but the block was produced by another competitive leader:

Thank you very much

Hi,

I am also located near Paris.
I have just chosen your stake pool to deleguate my ADAs.

Have a good day.
François

3 Likes

Bonjour François,

Merci pour ta confiance :smile:

Bon weekend !

1 Like

Hello
Thanks for your subject.

I am also planing to run a stake pool with a Raspberry Pi (I have already a bitcoin node running with a rasperry pi)

Do have a hot wallet for your pledge ?
I would like to use a cold wallet with my ledger nano for pledging adress.

Regards
Yannick
PS Bonjour de Suisse et bonne fin de confinement

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @Yannick!

have you considered setting up shop for people to buy preprogrammed ones say once shelly is released? I’d be up for finding a way to make some effort towards this.