Introducing [RAOOL] - Raspberry stakepool

Not sure if it’s the right time for this as the requirements for haskell cardano node are not yet fully known and will likely change once Goguen is out.

BTW there is already a Cardano on the Rocks project by Clio.1 and Allnet is selling HW bundle:

That being said I would like to see some alternative to above as the guide is now quite old and setting everything up poses some challenges.

2 Likes

i agree with both points, it’s old and need for alternative, especially on the pi as i feel more are familiar with it.

i think the biggest change will be with shelly, then after that huge shift - upgrades would need to be a factor thats incorporated into the design cycle. i think they’d still be a lot of value if machines are out there which would become hardware limited (assuming Goguen would be resource intensive) as those would still be running the SL component of the network. and because of the affordability of it i can see people not being deterred from purchasing the higher spec v.2 (especially give the return on investment - it’d be accretive - made back it’s cost - in like a month) so they can have separate node which prioritise and optimise for different aspects.

further more i recon the v.1 would actually not only be more affordable but get more adoption/traction cause that’s what the market needs (SL) - especially in hard to reach remote places - as opposed to (CL) a multiparty computation.

either way i’m quite keen to have these conversations. interested to hear your reservations regarding waiting till Goguen - is it that you think it’ll require high specs or something else?

No I haven’t done this work

I am at the early stage and I don’t find the answers to my questions :

-what is the amount of pledge 500k ADA?
-Do I need a fix IP or can I use my home internet connection
-can I use a cold wallet generated by my ledger for the pledge adress ?

Thanks

2 Likes

I believe this currently under consideration and hasn’t been finalised as yet.

1 Like

What % of ADA addresses have 500k?

@Raspool Thanks for sharing details of your pool. I’m considering running a stake pool on Shelley and the idea of using an affordable, cheap to run PC like a Raspberry Pi is appealing. I would also be running it over my home internet, similar to yourself.

I’ve just started researching this, so I feel I have a lot to learn. To your knowledge, is there any disadvantage to using a device like a Raspberry Pi that has low computing resources? Or does the computing power not matter so much?

Looking at pooltool.io, I note that RAOOL has a lifetime ROS of 1.6%. Is it low because the pool has been offline, or some other factor? I note that other pools with similar stake have a ROS in the range 7-12%. I don’t mean to criticise your pool. :slight_smile: I’m just trying to get a sense of whether running on a Raspberry Pi may somehow make the pool less competitive.

Thanks!

1 Like

Raspberry Pi is an underestimated resource and its computational power is more than adequate for the task.

It has the advantage of not having to live by candle light out of panic that’ll make the electricity grid implode. :metal:

Obviously, and goes without question that, Cardano was built to tackle many aspects of other cryptos that are just simply not sustainable plus future proofing every aspect and with it being modular it is easier to bolt on the unforeseen. Making it an adaptive and versatile crypto to rival others.

2 Likes

Hello Greenjoy,

There is no disadvantage to run a stake pool on a Raspberry Pi. Keep in mind that it’s not a PoW protocol, hence it doesn’t require heavy computational power.
It just need to stay in sync with the network and win its “battle” when it’s the pool turn to produce a block.

Regarding my pool, i keep it online 24/7. The only moments it’s disconnected is when I do some system update/upgrade which need less than 30 minutes every 2 weeks.
The ROS is low simply because it has not been elected a lot to produce block. So far, and since I save log files, I’ve counted that the pool has been elected 4 times (4 chances to produce a block), but it has succeeded only one time. Not because of low computational power, but only because of competitive forks which are implemented in Ouroboros protocol if I understand it correctly.

If you look closer at the pool performance, the current stake has been here only for half its lifetime:

If you’re interested into running a stakepool, I strongly suggest you to do so. Even if you don’t keep it alive for a long time, you will learn a lot about how Cardano works :smiley:

3 Likes

Oh! I just figured out that it has produced its second block !!!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

6 Likes

Bravo :clap: i have been planning to use raspberry pi to start a stakepool too. I’ve been planning to buy the 8gb ras pi 4. Can u share what’s the performance of ur 4gb version?is 8gb really needed?

Hello, what info do you want ?

2 Likes

The Pi 4B uses a 1.5GHz 64-bit quad-core Arm Cortex-A72 CPU, with an SDRam clock speed 3200.

Having more Ram does make a difference in the amount of tasks it can process, so in essence it’s performance is increased. :metal: @Mr.Roo

3 Likes

Thank you @Trigger

Hi @Raspool
Thanks for providing the link to the organic design website. the steps are helpful. I am a bit confused about the genesis-hash.txt file. should it have these information from the protocol parameters from github
GENESIS_HASH=8e4d2a343f3dcf9330ad9035b3e8d168e6728904262f2c434a4f8f934ec7b676

FEE_CONSTANT=200000
FEE_COEFFICIENT=100000
FEE_POOL_REGISTRATION=500000000

i am a bit confused because there’s another genesis hash file in this repo https://hydra.iohk.io/build/2305083/download/1/index.html

1 Like

Hello @Mr.Roo

This file just has to contain the genesis bloch hash, hence:

8e4d2a343f3dcf9330ad9035b3e8d168e6728904262f2c434a4f8f934ec7b676

Nothing more :slight_smile: In fact, it is just used to shorten the following command, used to start Jormungandr, by reading the file content rather than writing the genesis block hash:

nohup ./jormungandr --config itn_rewards_v1-config.yaml --genesis-block-hash cat genesis-hash.txt >> debug.log &

It is the same as:

nohup ./jormungandr --config itn_rewards_v1-config.yaml --genesis-block-hash 8e4d2a343f3dcf9330ad9035b3e8d168e6728904262f2c434a4f8f934ec7b676 >> debug.log &

1 Like

thank you so much @Raspool

I am running raspbian on my Pi4. Would it be possible to post the steps you used in order to install jormungandr? This is the part that keeps failing. I followed the tutorial that you posted. Does not work when following the install of jormungandr. Thank you.

2 Likes

Hello @chadnick,
At what point does it fail ?

Under the " Install and configure Jormungandr" in the tutorial, it redirects you to the github site. I cannot get this step started.

I assume that the correct file for the Pi4 is: jormungandr-v0.8.19-armv7-unknown-linux-gnueabihf-generic.tar.gz

What is the code needed to set up the jormungandr and jcli files? I have searched everywhere and there is no clear copy and paste code to use with these files. The readme.md file redirects to a very unclear iohk website. Thanks.

1 Like

Do you know that the current ITN is about to become obsolete? (It might continue to exist, but not for the current purposes.)