"Hello!" from Canadian computer graphics artist & systems geek

Hello!

My Name is Jeremy Bot.

I’m looking forward to sharing some ideas on how I might contribute to the community, but thought an introduction in this forum would be important to start off with… to get my feet wet, and to connect!

I’m an ex(?) IT technician and 3D animator / technical director. I was born in Detroit, Michigan (USA) and now I’m currently living in Vancouver, BC (Canada). 5 years ago I transferred all my computer IT & graphics skills away from the expensive commercial 3D animation tools (that are all being gobbled up by Autodesk) and over to all open source graphics applications (i.e. Blender, GIMP, Krita, etc).

I have one foot in the entertainment industry, while the rest of my limbs are dedicated to the visualisation & education of science. I research and develop animation production pipelines that aim to be more sustainable than the centralised top-down structured that I was initially introduced to within the massive automotive corporate assembly lines in Detroit.

I discovered Cardano only a few months ago, while (finally) getting my feet with with crypto currencies & blockchain tech. The systems geek inside of me has been overwhelmingly inspired (and distracted) by what I’ve been discovering, especially with projects like Cardano, Arweave and some others. Particularly blown away by these systems of governance, and the idea of a true “cloud”, where data can live forever (pending a solar flair or EMP blast). I have played with these concepts while working within large animation studios, trying to figure out more democratic ways to produce creative content.

Anyhow, they say that pictures are worth 1,000 words… so…

Here is a video recording of a talk I gave in Amsterdam, at the 2019 Blender conference. I’m sharing about the “Digital Life Project” for which I am leading the CG work. We scan and animate living animals for the purpose of education, conservation and open access science. This gives many hints at the potentials I see within Cardano. Life on this planet is vast, and our team is small!

And some examples of my work include…

A screen capture of a 3D lung animation I developed while working with a respiratory therapist to animate an explanation of what asthma is.
lung_1stInBlender

An interactive 3D animated model of Nemesis, hammerhead: Great Hammerhead Shark Nemesis - ANGARI Foundation

Bakari, an animated scan of a southern white rhino that is at the Perth Zoo in Australia:

Scallywag, a rehabilitated green sea turtle that was released back into the ocean, of the coast of Florida:

If you want to dig a bit deeper, just ask! Or, also have a peer reviewed paper published by CLIR. It’s on page 54 (and no pay wall!):

Here is my portfolio of various projects, mostly within entertainment:

My workstation, from where most of this comes from. :slight_smile:

202003_sleeping

Hope that wasn’t oversharing (too much). Just wanted to cast out a wide net, to increase my chances of connecting.

Hope you found this interesting.

I’m also putting together a proposal, that brings together some ideas that I’ve been developing for about 15 years. The task seemed overwhelming and almost impossible… till I discovered these 3rd generation blockchains. I’m guessing that conversation is best kept for it’s own thread.

I also enjoy many styles of dance, science fiction (from Cyberpunk to Farscape!) and the study of our anatomical and psychological visual systems.

Looking forward to meeting more of you, and seeing how Cardano grows.

• JerBot

P.S. I wonder if Ricardo Semler is aware of Cardano. Hmmm…

6 Likes

Hello @jerbot, welcome to the community.

Your work is really amazing! I’m sure you can do something very interesting in the community. If you think something solid, you could present it in the Catalyst Project, look at this proposal. You maybe interested in the nascent world of native tokens and NFTs.

Greetings.

3 Likes

Thank you for the links @Napoles , I am checking them out.

Yes, that is an area in which I’ve put a considerable amount of time researching, and would love to use Cardano for such a thing. Two concerns keep popping:

1. Energy usage - Which is something that Cardano handles beautifully (staking on Raspberry Pi!! Oh my.)
  2. Where the actual graphics files are stored. The current NFT solutions out there feel… hmm… misleading. I haven’t been able to track down solutions built specifically within Cardano, but this is something that Arweave was built for, from the ground up.

There’s still much for me to learn about the technologies, but it seems that blockchains can work together. So perhaps something like Arweave can be used in combination to store works… permanently.

As my work is for conservation, I see NFTs being used for more than just clip art… but for scientific (3D) models.

1 Like

Very cool thanks for posting. Most definitely looking forward to your contributions to the space!

1 Like

Thanks Donny,

I’m typing up a proposal right now. :slight_smile:

I hope I can accurately paint the picture that I see.
Cardano solves so many issues that I’ve been dealing with in my work… when it comes to scale, conservation, and credibility/accountability, governance, community engagement and support, etc.

The inspiration has been building up (so much) over the last few months I feel like I’m about to burst.

Difficult to contain.

So much potential.

cottonCandyGirl_SUGAR_sm

1 Like
  • update *

Still working on proposal. Just got positive feedback from my team.

Also…

Just picked a Raspberry Pi 4 w/ 8GB. As I also have experience in IT (linux included), I’d like to assist in demonstrate energy efficient blockchains. I found a few good resources, which include (so far):
General: A guide to becoming a stake pool operator
Raspberry Pi specific : GitHub - alessandrokonrad/Pi-Pool: Cardano Stakepool on Raspberry Pi
and : GitHub - alessandrokonrad/Pi-Pool: Cardano Stakepool on Raspberry Pi

If you have any on the topic (stake pool node setup w/ Raspberry Pi)… please send links!!

1 Like

Awesome I will certainly post information as I see it.

1 Like

Ok, I’ve posted an Insight for Catalyst.

There are problems that I’ve been experiencing in my work with scientists. I’ve made this proposal/insight a bit more fundamental & less specific than the photogrammetry scans I typically work with, but solving these problems would be a huge win for science. Been thinking of various solutions for years now, and ever since discovering the potentials of blockchain, and the accessibility and governance built into Cardano… a light went off.

It’s actually possible now.
Let’s see how this goes.

Checkout my Insight here:
https://cardano.ideascale.com/a/ideas/recent/campaign-filter/byids/campaigns/26115/stage/unspecified

1 Like

Hey @jerbot,
thanks for the insight in your work and your ideas. I’d say welcome to the community, but this is actually my first post. Your way of sharing made me really want to leave a post.
Really love your ideas, and will keep coming here to see how it’s going!

1 Like

Sounds good to me! See you around. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Btw… link me to some techno! The more minimal, funky and tribal the better. :wink:

1 Like

Maybe you’ll like one of those:

This is the DJ project of my girlfriend and me, if you want to have a listen: Stream krukru music | Listen to songs, albums, playlists for free on SoundCloud

1 Like

Nice! I like it all. :stuck_out_tongue:
Some a deep housey mix and more techy tracks there. Different stuff for different moods/tasks.

Your DJ project is great too.
Question : in [krukru überwach(t) im Südpol] - at 20:30 - Is that a Drumcode track by any chance? Simliar vibe to some old tracks I have on that label.

Thanks for the tunes. Will be listening as I work.

1 Like

Good ear - it is :smiley:

1 Like

NICE!

Funny story about Drumcode: In/around 2001 I was playing at a large warehouse party in Detroit (my home town), and someone came up to me and asked if I had ever heard of Drumcode. I hold them I had not, but that I would check it out.
And then, as I started playing my next track, they cam running back to me and yelled, “THIS IS DRUMCODE!” I never really looked a the names. I just knew the label design and tracks… so it was a pretty entertaining moment… which ensured that I would never forget the label name, and has helped me identify their sound and signature moves.

Anyhow… thanks again for the tunez.
liked and followed via verbal007. :wink:
:notes: :control_knobs: :pray: :headphones: :notes:

Was caught off guard by the Proposal deadline, as I didn’t realise it wasn’t linked to the Insight. Glad I didn’t realise this too late, as I was able to cram last night at get out a sketch.

So many other great proposals.

Ok… here we go…

-= Conservation of Life on Earth =-
https://cardano.ideascale.com/a/ideas/recent/campaign-filter/byids/campaigns/26115/stage/unspecified

material_cycle