HELP - I believe my ADA has been stolen. Not sure what to do next

Yesterday nearly $40,000 worth of ADA has disappeared from my Daedalus wallet and now have a $0.00 balance.

For several months I had been staking my balance in one of the Ocean pools for the benefit of the community. I also transferred additional ADA to my account from my Kraken exchange account.

After transferring from Kraken to Daedalus wallet, I then decided to change the pool to which I was staking to, updating it from Ocean to PEGA.

After doing this, I then went to the Google Play Store and downloaded the Daedalus Wallet - Secure ADA Cardano app believe it was a legitimate app. I noticed there were 150+ reviews over 4-stars so I thought it was legitimate. After installing the app I entered my 24-word keyphrase which I believe was my undoing. The app reported my balance was 0.00 so I figured it just had not updated yet. ( I am obviously newer to crypto ).

Later the same evening I opened Daedalus Mainnet on my computer and noticed 4 transactions sending ADA away from my account. I do not know what to do now or how to get it back. I submitted a support ticket to IOHK but no response.

The transaction IDs are:

e35f8340b57718f4c89c9bd607a78b2df4821f28a95bc36d90f221fbb4487f59

c537db70ec1720136a44cbebf40e7e37c318e6196c8f2ac71a7225e9936ba477

105c83ca1b2146917920c0ca4c7c9b65f95db2b54e667b74a7b1af87c5f3ed45

e853468732a9a249e9e56e06a76c662f30f5e1e0b88758a4991a8199ec08c63c

I have filed a local police report as well as a report with Coinfirm.

What can I do next? Any help would be super appreciated, I am pulling my hair out at how easy this happened. Also, today, after submitting a SCAM report to Google Play Store, the app has been removed from their store but I kept screenshots of everything.

My one question of hope is this … being that I elected to join a new staking pool, is it possible my account shows 0.00 because the ADA is tied up while joinging the new pool or it it officially scammed from me??

It has been reported multiple times that the app for daedalus on play store is a scam, so I’m afraid that is what has happened to you. It would not be possible to recover the funds I’m afraid. I’m really sorry for you.

4 Likes

What does iohk say to that? Did you send them your logs?

What does iohk say to that? Did you send them your logs? They dont have any information?

After supplying them with the information they asked for their response was (looks like a copy/paste job from an FAQ page):

Thank you for contacting the IOHK Technical Service Desk.

The Daedalus Wallet is the only IOHK wallet for ADA and can ONLY be downloaded from https://daedaluswallet.io/ website. Any other method of downloading and installing Daedalus, or restoring your wallet is NOT valid and doing so will put your funds at risk. Daedalus does NOT offer a mobile wallet application.

If you happen to come across a suspicious ADA, Cardano, or Daedalus related application, website, or wallet in the future, please report it to our team by using the submit a request form so that we can take immediate and appropriate action.

If you restored your wallet on a scam application or website:

There is a very small chance that you can try to access your funds before they are accessed by the scammer. To do this quickly, restore your wallet in Yoroi: https://yoroi-wallet.com/#/ and IF there is a balance remaining, immediately create a new wallet send the funds to a new wallet. If there is no balance remaining, please check your transaction history for unauthorized transactions.

If you sent your ada to a scam application or website:

Unfortunately, we do not have any means to recover funds compromised by scam applications, websites, or wallets. We are constantly working diligently to find and shut down any scams or phishing sites related to ADA, Cardano, and Daedalus. However, we cannot prevent people from creating unofficial scam applications, websites, or wallets.

If necessary, we will pass your ticket to our security team, and provide you our feedback if we find more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
The IOHK Technical Service Desk

As of right now it looks like I’ve learned a very expensive lesson because I was not aware of this website before learning of Cardano elsewhere. The natural response for a consumer is to search the world’s largest Play Store for their app - and of course its not called Cardano or anything related to ADA.

But these are the types of examples the SEC is going to try and regulate - their job is to protect investors and Google allowed these scam apps to run unchecked for weeks while innocent people’s money was being stolen right beneath their noseand even after the apps were reported multiple times.

Thx for answer. And what didn’t the security team say? They didn’t have any information? after all your wallet had to be reinstalled somewhere? they don’t have any ip data?

pon., 25 paź 2021, 17:54 użytkownik Chad Deihl via Cardano Forum <cardano@discoursemail.com> napisał:

I dont know. That was the only response I got from them. Thats where it ended. I’ve considered a lawsuit against Google for allowing their algorithms to go unchecked and allowing scammer apps to continue to operate after being notified multiple times. Their own teams should be able to verify what is being missed by their own algorithms. Its professional negligence.