Is NAMI Wallet hacked?

Lots of users are complaining that either coins are simply disappearing from their NAMI Wallet or been transferred to a scammers wallet:

1. Indepth summary: [Serious Issue] Funds been incorrectly transferred to someones else wallet!!! Nami Hacked?? · Issue #257 · Berry-Pool/nami-wallet · GitHub

2. 100+ Issues And Growing: Issues · Berry-Pool/nami-wallet · GitHub .

3. More reviews on google chrome extension page: Nami - Chrome Web Store

Click on Reviews tabs > Sort by Recent

1. Official twitter page: https://twitter.com/NamiWallet/ , please read comments.

The developer of NAMI Wallet is a college kid and he is not responding to any issue. Can someone please contact SundaeSwap team and ask them to remove NAMI Wallet from their website until this critical issue is fixed?

1 Like

I don’t see anything suspicious in that transaction. He did some transaction with SundaeSwap, like obviously everybody did, the past 24 hours. The target address is the SundaeSwap smart contract.

As for the reviews: As can also be seen here in the forums, when something is not running as smoothly as wanted, everybody screams “Scam!” the next minute.

Heck, noone forces you to try trading Mickey Mouse money on the first day.

1 Like

Did you even read the actual issue?

Since you have posted both here and in github thread linked above in first link, the issue owner has already replied to both of your comments on github.

1 Like

Oh, I read it in much detail.

The transaction he claims to be fraudulent is: https://cardanoscan.io/transaction/b848175625866e1ef829d39ad0edc7b81a96fa6c3de70cc75e6172a996815dfe

He thinks it’s suspicious that part of the ADA came back to his address, which already shows that he has very little knowledge about how this whole thing works, but anyway.

The target address, which he accuses to be a “scammer”, is: https://cardanoscan.io/address/addr1wy2mjh76em44qurn5x73nzqrxua7ataasftql0u2h6g88lc3gtgpz

It says “Contract” in not too small letters as the main heading. There are an impressive amount of transactions in and out (out would be kind of strange for a scammer, wouldn’t it?) in the last hours/days. So let’s look back at his transaction at the metadata:

Looks like an order for “worldmobiletoken”, doesn’t it? (Are they so cheap that 4.1 ADA are a realistic price?) The thing at key 1000 is his address in hex, the thing at key 1002 is the policy ID of “worldmobiletoken”, 1003 is the asset name. 1004 and 1005 look like amounts.

But let’s look at another – supposedly successful – swap:
Someone sends 1942.1 ADA to this “scammer”: https://cardanoscan.io/transaction/791fbf8842607f53b23d0295e7e6a65596ffa7e23e6de03721020e807f6b6515
With something in the metadata that looks suspiciously like an order for “SUNDAE”s:

And four minutes later, the “scammer” sends 2000 SUNDAE and some accompanying ADA back to this very same address: https://cardanoscan.io/transaction/84bd80ec88e8925c4c69116e759888dc46565b3c5509dbde09d3df70fc07b1a2
So, key 1004 seems to be the amount requested in fractions of a token. Can’t make sense of keys 1001 and 1005 up to now.

This is not a scam. This is SundaeSwap doing its thing. (If the whole token trade/gambling makes sense is another question.)

Having questions is okay. Unfortunately, we also find a lot of scams/hacks/malware attacks, when looking at these things.

But accusing Nami of being a scam with so little insight is just not okay.

3 Likes

It is a big issue, I have the same situation fund despaired in the wallet without explanation. SundaeSwap need to remove them until they fix the problem and return the fund

1 Like

From the things I have seen the last days, the most likely explanations are:

• It is all still just slow and the view in your wallet app is not fully synced. Look up your addresses at cardanoscan.io if the balances and transactions are off there, too.
  • You have been scammed by one of the zillion scammers active in this whole affair, given your seed phrase to a fake website or to some person over one of the communication channels. That’s bad, really bad! Sorry!
  • You did an order on SundaeSwap and the transaction got through much later, but the order could not be completed (up to now). Funds did disappear into the contract. Order can be cancelled on the order page in SundaeSwap. The transaction for cancelling needs collateral being set (creating the order does not, as far as I can see). It all might still be a bit slow. It is for me.
  • You did restore/import the wallet, but the seed phrase was not correct. You see an empty wallet without transactions or the wrong wallet with wrong transactions. Happens surprisingly often. Only solution is to find the right seed phrases. Variation: You used the multiple account feature of Nami or ccvault and did not recreate the subaccounts in a restored wallet. Just recreate them.

None of this is really Nami’s fault and in none of these cases they can return any funds.

Granted, the documentation could have been better, but that’s about it.

1 Like

so whenever i try to send the address changes to another address i sent 2,000 ada to an unknown wallet. and this space has become almost impossible to be apart of or defend with amount of scams, hacks, and rugpulls. anyway yes nami and nobody cares but what i do have in the account i can never get out or it goes to another person so i goes my nfts and crypto will forever stay in the wallet. and goodbye crypto, I’m done trying to defend you. maybe it’s time to ban it all

1 Like

so whenever i try to send the address changes to another address

If this is happening then that means your computer is infected with some form of malware.

1 Like

Hello friends
nami wallet does not move on to the next word until you type the correct word while typing the wallet words. In this case, an algorithm can be written and the nami wallet can be hacked. When importing my words, I think the probability of a hacklname is very high.

1 Like

What are you talking about?

Yes, it only lets you continue when you have correctly typed one of the 2048 words. That’s a great help. And those words are known, anyway.

But it cannot know which of those words appears in your seed phrase, it can be any of them. It does not know your seed phrase before your have given it.

1 Like

Kenan_D i think you are right in some aspect and mistaken on other. The probability that exactly your account will be hacked is still very low. But indeed such algorithm can be written and with number of wallet holder rising, rises the probability for somebody`s wallet to get hacked by a lucky guess. This could be very easily avoided if that number of words 2048 would be unknown and the words themselves wouldnt be known, but generated, for example: durelox, vasinuk, fyrtikan etc. anyway the average wallet holder dont memorize those 12 - 18 words given, instead writes them down.

love to all in this discussion :heart:

In principle, more seed phrases being used raises the chances of collisions, of finding a wallet by a lucky guess. But not in any meaningful way

24 word seed phrases are equivalent to 256 bit random numbers, 15 words to 160 bits and the 12 words often used outside of Cardano still to 128 bits.

Even the short 12 word ones have 3.4×10^38 possibilities. Even if 10 billion people use 100 seed phrases each only one in 3.4 ×10^26 seed phrases would have been used.

It is extremely, unbelievably unlikely to find a wallet by chance.

That would not make much sense. The word list has to be known and has to have exactly 2048 words for the algorithm to work as intended. It is just an encoding used, because humans are incredibly bad in handling large numbers and managing 24 words is much easier for them than managing 256 bits or 32 bytes.

It is a feature of BIP 39 seed phrases that the words are known and there is a checksum, that tools can suggest words and help correct errors. It does not take away from the security. There are still 2^256 possible 24 word seed phrases. It is as secure as choosing a number of that length randomly.

Theoretically, it would be possible to just use a hash of an arbitrary phrase possibly also including phantasy words like in your example. But it would make it horrible to handle. One typo, one additional space and the phrase does not work anymore and the wallet app would have no possibility at all to help.