Move Stake Pool to new VPS

Hi everyone!

I’m currently running my stake pool on Droplets from Digital Ocean. I have installed core and relay ver. 1.27.0 in June 2020 on two rented VPS with 8 Gb RAM for 40$/m each.

Few days ago I have upgraded both nodes to ver. 1.29.0 and (like many others) noticed that nodes hangs with “starting” status. This problem has a solution - increase RAM to more that 8 Gb. I had to rent more expensive VPS with 16 Gb to startup my nodes on ver. 1.29.0

Now I have to pay 160$/months to Digital Ocean for two VPS. It’s worth mentioning, I still didn’t mint a single block.

https://pool.vet/#pool1e6z3jnnvu9zqxlk60hkfjym2vj3mvgysy6h8l2xxyj5j220vlsd

I decided to cut costs by moving nodes to Contabo (Contabo 🥇 Quality VPS & Dedicated Servers At Incredible Prices 🥇).

I followed very useful Guild guide (Guild Operators) to setup relay node on Contabo VPS.

It’s up and syncing now.

Now I have some troubles to shoot and seek to a help to do the following…

The plan is to:

1. start new relay on Contabo
  2. kill old relay on Digital Ocean
  3. move Core from Digital Ocean to Contabo and avoid paying the pool registration fee (500 ADA).

Issues:

1. Core can’t see new relay

Note: main net-topology.json and topologyUpdater.sh are updated. New and old relay are connected to each other.

Thoughts: maybe it’s because the new relay isn’t synced with Cardano blockchain yet.

1. How to setup Core using Guild guide?
    I noticed instructions for relay only. Core only mentioned here, but no clear commands were provided…

https://cardano-community.github.io/guild-operators/Build/node-cli/

Alternatively I could use Coin Cashew guide, but I loved the simplicity of Guild guide.

1. How I can move my Core node from Digital Ocean to Conabo without paying stake pool registration fee again?

Have no I idea …

Bingo!
Wait till the relay will be 100% synced

Alex,

Thanks for being very responsive and helpful here in community.

Could you please also go through my 2 and 3rd questions?

Man, it’s simple, just set up the nodes how u did it on digital ocean, then… u are using cntools or …?

U will not need to register again the pool, just move the core files to the new server and start it like a producer…
Anyway, you will need to send a new pool certification because u will need to register the new relay _IP

I not using CNTools. I’m using command line.

But CNTools looks more convenient way to do the same.

Great, then:

• install the new nodes
  • upload the DB folder from one node already synced from digital ocean to new nodes (this way u will not wait 1-2 days till the new servers will be synced)
  • upload the priv folder from the old producer to the new producer, edit the env file and the new Producer will work like a charm
  • go to cntools → pool → modify and register the new relay
1 Like

Could you please list the content of the “priv” folder?

I don’t have this folder on my core (installation is quite messy), so I will pick files one by one to copy. I need to identify all required files.

sorry, you said u are not using cntools…forget about priv folder;
so you will need to copy all pool/wallet files
node.cert, kes.start, vrfs files, payment.addr, stake.addr, delegation.cert, etc

I told you, all u have to do is to upload all files which u have on your old Producer to the new Producer

thank you. I’ve got the idea.
Now waiting second VPS to be registered on Contabo.

1 Like

The path … download to ur pc using sftp (filezila) and the upload to the new node

1 Like

that’s too easy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,
Just a really friendly advise. I think you should not disclose your Node IP in the public. It is not good idea. Probably you can just write as a.b.c.d or anything.

thanks
I’ll follow it.

What I have identified so far:
balance.out
deleg.cert
fullUtxo.out
kes.skey
kes.vkey
node.cert
payment.addr
pool.cert
stake.cert
vrf.skey

Did I missed anything?

can you show me picture to identify full list of files (to avoid “etc.” thing)?

I don’t know if u havee all the files on server or u are keeping them offfline

Wait a second

# Name Translated Name Hot/Cold

|1|deleg.cert|pool
|2|kes.skey|pool
|3|kes.vkey|pool
|4|node.cert|pool
|5|node.counter|pool
|6|node.skey|pool
|7|node.vkey|pool
|8|params.json|pool
|9|payment.addr|wallet
|10|payment.skey|wallet
|11|payment.vkey|wallet
|12|pool.cert|pool
|13|poolMetaData.json|pool
|14|stake.addr|wallet
|15|stake.cert|wallet
|16|stake.skey|wallet
|17|stake.vkey|wallet
|18|stakepoolid.txt|?
|19|vrf.skey|pool
|20|vrf.vkey|pool

But I don’t know if u have a cold server, if u are keeping all on ur live producer, etc

no. this just the list of all possible keys.

Some of the listed key shouldn’t be shown on the internet - Cardano Key Pairs | Cardano Developer Portal

I was asking for the list of keys required to upload new Core node.

I will try to start with this list

Not clear where to I should copy keys to run stake pull.

I changed env file to add POOL_NAME=“CoolT” (as requested by guide: Node & CLI - Guild Operators)

So, where I should copy keys from old Core node?
Option 1: $CNODE_HOME/priv/pool/CoolT
or
Option 2: /opt/cardano/cnode

But, on your old Producer where are the files stored? U didn’t followed the same guide?

That’s why I asked if u use cntools, cntools has a priv folder (option 1) for pool files and
$CNODE_HOME/priv/wallet/CoolT - for wallet files