Moving and installing cardano-cli to cold environment

ohhhhh sorry mate I thought you were typed is not ls, yes I see both files there in terminal
I have another directory in /usr/local called sbin, is this relevant?

and if u type here (usr/local/bin)

cardano-node - -version
what is the output?

still doesn’t recognise the command.

Don’t recognise it?

okay I think I know what the problem is, my $HOME is in the /home directory. and my path to cardano-cli that im setting is $HOME./local/bin. And this means that its looking for these folders inside the home directory correct? to get to the binaries you have to go one more back from $HOME to the top layer of the drive, then you go /usr/local/bin. So is it possible that this is why its not finding the binaries?

does this make sense?

Current Path:
base-layer/home/local/bin

Real Path:
base-layer/usr/local/bin

U can always adapt the path

nano $HOME/.bashrc

okay so I corrected the file to this:

export NODE_HOME=/home/sleepy/cardano-my-node
export PATH=/usr/local/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:

However this hasn’t changed the outcome. Im not sure if i’ve done that right though. The path I found in the file when I opened it seemed very butchered tho, I wouldnt be suprised if it that was the problem.

Hey Alex, I’ve established that the system can find the binaries as when I use:

type -p cardano-cli

I get /usr/local/bin/cardano-cli which is the correct path
how ever I still can’t run it. What could I possibly be missing here?

Ok, try to copy the binari files under cardano-my-node folder and try from there… also check the permisions of the files

warch this video pls, maybe it will help you

1 Like

Far out I feel very stupid for not checking the permission untill now, after running

chmod +x cardano-cli

It runs now. Thankyou Alex for your patience and all the help you give to this community, I much appreciate it.

You are welcome, no problem man!

1 Like

Probably the easiest way to create an air-gapped/cold environment is by doing normal online install following guide such as coincashew or CNTools stopping before the step of generating addresses and keys. You can even let it sync as a relay if you wish, but it is not necessary. Then physically disconnect the PC from the internet. Now you have your safe and functioning air-gapped environment to do your keys, signing, cert generation, etc. Past the point of generating your keys, never ever connect it to the internet again and you are safe.

Should be faster just copying the binari files

1 Like