Node Setup: Can´t copy cardano-cli and cardano-node files into bin directory

Greetings :slight_smile:
This is my first post. Currently I´m trying to setup nodes in the main- and testnet.

I´m using linux, a cloud server, the coincashew guide … and am completly unexperieced with all of them. ^^ But I`m willing to learn.

Today I got a mainnet node running (it is already synced up and seems to work fine) :partying_face:

BUT I notized, that my usr/local/bin folder is empty.
The commands:

sudo cp $(find $HOME/git/cardano-node/dist-newstyle/build -type f -name “cardano-cli”) /usr/local/bin/cardano-cli

and

sudo cp $(find $HOME/git/cardano-node/dist-newstyle/build -type f -name “cardano-node”) /usr/local/bin/cardano-node

seem not to work. I tried it serveral times now and even if there is no errormessage… it´s not working. Does anyone know what I can do to solve this problem?

I´m grateful for any help.

Type which cardano-node to see where the files are located

then u can navigate to that location and copy the files to usr/local/bin/…

Thanks for the fast rply :slight_smile:

I typed it in an weirdly it says: /usr/local/bin/cardano-node

But when Im checking out this folder it is empty. Is there any trick to see the files in this folder that I dont know about? I am completly unfamiliar with ubuntu.

What do you mean by it’s not working? Basically those command lines are copying cardano-cli and cardano-node to /usr/local/bin/. After applying them, you won’t get any messages at all if they were successful.

After you performed the “which” command and found them in /usr/local/bin/, it seems to me that you are good to go mate.

I see no problems here! :slight_smile:

Good to know. :slight_smile:

With not working I mean that the folder is empty.
There is no file in it. Or am I looking in the wrong folder?

I simply use the “explorer” of my local ubuntu device and click on other locations → computer → usr → local → bin

type

cd /usr/local/bin
ls -l

do u see anything? (Perhpas it’s a wrong folder on ur explorer)
then type pwd copy the path and paste it on ur explorer

When Im typing

cd /usr/local/bin
ls -l

In the terminal in which Im currently logged in with the user i created to manage the server, then it shows me that there are 2 folders.

When Im using the same command in the terminal of the regular user of the ubuntu device I did set up… then it says “total 0”

As I said … Im completely unfamiliar with ubuntu… could this have something todo with my struggle to find the files?^^

differntly asked:
Where do I find the explorer of the user I created to manage my server?^^
Or are these files not on my local machine, but in my cloudserver?

should be inside user folders… /home/<your-username>/

Hmm… I cant find it there.
Everytime when I connect the user that I created to manage the server the following happens:

I type in:

ssh -i ~/.ssh/user user@ [IP-adress] -p [XXX]

I get the message:

“Warning: Identity file /home/user1/.ssh/user not accessible: No such file or directory.”

But other than that everything works fine. Should there be an identity file on my local device or is this completely normal? If there should be one: What can I do to get it?

Why do you use -i ~/.ssh/user to request a specific identity file …

… if that specific identity file does not exist? Just leave out that option from the call to ssh.

So, you have a local machine you are working on and a remote machine, where you want to install cardano-node and cardano-cli?

Of course, they both have totally different /usr/local/bin and /home folders. They are totally different computers and these folders have nothing to do with each other. You should always know exactly if you are doing something on the local machine or on the server at the moment.

In first instance: Nowhere. Nautilus will always show you your local computer. You use ssh to control the remote server on the command line.

1 Like

To be honest: I just did what the guide I used stated ^^

For me this wasnt clear. These are my first steps with the ubuntu os and with setting up an ubuntu server. Thanks for the clarification.

I think what irritated me was that one of the guides I watched did a node setup on a bare-metal-server without me realizing it.
The reason for me asking about these files in the first place was that I wanted to take a look into some json files. For me setting up a testnet node is harder than setting up a mainnet node… because I need to change some lines of code … but the instructions in the CoinCashew guide arent 100% clear to me.