Please help debug port opening issue - home environment

Greetings, I recently completed the coin cashew tutorial to create my stakepool. It is registered and running, but when I check pool.vet - Cardano stake pool checker to vet my pool, it is showing the following -

Upon further inspection, I found that the ports I have set up for forwarding are not accessible from outside the local network. I used Open Port Check Tool - Test Port Forwarding on Your Router to verify. I can SSH into the relay node from the blockchain node with local network IP’s. I have since purged and reinstalled the UFW on my relay node with no success. @laplasz was kind enough to try and help me troubleshoot this last week in this page, but we had no luck and he recommended that I open a new topic. I don’t know what I am missing, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Things to check:

1. The port you are forwarding (on your router?) is being forwarded correctly to the right internal IP of your relay.
  2. The IP address you posted is still your IP (static IP or make sure dyndns keeps it up to date)

You could open up another port like SSH temporarily to test by connecting via your external IP to make sure that both of the above are correct.

If they are, the last thing to check is that the node is actually started and running so it can accept the connection.

After triple checking that things were pointing in the right direction, I re-entered the information for the forwarded ports into the router and I appear to have access now, but the new message is this

The relay is now reachable, so do I just need to wait for the topologyupdater to run again and it should be good to go? or do I need to change something in my bloackchain node’s topology file?

Great!

Now check the logs for topologyupdater under node logs folder.
Could you execute topologyupdater manually?

This is the latest output. Now the relay is in the topology but I’m still getting the “TODO”. And to add to this is my last result log for the topology updater has only been the following for the last several days-

{ “resultcode”: “502”, “datetime”:“2021-04-13 19:28:47”, “clientIp”: “8.42.76.9”, “msg”: “invalid blockNo [null]” }
{ “resultcode”: “502”, “datetime”:“2021-04-13 20:31:54”, “clientIp”: “8.42.76.9”, “msg”: “invalid blockNo [null]” }
{ “resultcode”: “502”, “datetime”:“2021-04-13 21:24:39”, “clientIp”: “8.42.76.9”, “msg”: “invalid blockNo [null]” }
{ “resultcode”: “502”, “datetime”:“2021-04-13 22:29:47”, “clientIp”: “8.42.76.9”, “msg”: “invalid blockNo [null]” }
{ “resultcode”: “502”, “datetime”:“2021-04-13 23:22:17”, “clientIp”: “8.42.76.9”, “msg”: “invalid blockNo [null]” }

The last time it was different was days before -

{ “resultcode”: “403”, “datetime”:“2021-04-07 21:22:18”, “clientIp”: “8.42.76.9”, “iptype”: 4, “msg”: “glad you want to stay with us, but please check and enable your IP:port reachability” }
{ “resultcode”: “502”, “datetime”:“2021-04-07 22:22:11”, “clientIp”: “8.42.76.9”, “msg”: “invalid blockNo ” }
{ “resultcode”: “403”, “datetime”:“2021-04-07 23:22:06”, “clientIp”: “8.42.76.9”, “iptype”: 4, “msg”: “glad you want to stay with us, but please check and enable your IP:port reachability” }
{ “resultcode”: “403”, “datetime”:“2021-04-08 00:22:04”, “clientIp”: “8.42.76.9”, “iptype”: 4, “msg”: “glad you want to stay with us, but please check and enable your IP:port reachability” }
{ “resultcode”: “403”, “datetime”:“2021-04-08 01:22:21”, “clientIp”: “8.42.76.9”, “iptype”: 4, “msg”: “glad you want to stay with us, but please check and enable your IP:port reachability” }
{ “resultcode”: “403”, “datetime”:“2021-04-08 02:22:07”, “clientIp”: “8.42.76.9”, “iptype”: 4, “msg”: “glad you want to stay with us, but please check and enable your IP:port reachability” }
{ “resultcode”: “403”, “datetime”:“2021-04-08 03:22:08”, “clientIp”: “8.42.76.9”, “iptype”: 4, “msg”: “glad you want to stay with us, but please check and enable your IP:port reachability” }

And finally the blockchain is not processing tx (This maybe something for a new topic?)
Capture

Hi!

How do you execute topologyUpdater?
Please manually execute the topologyUpdater and see is it working in that way or not
probably related topic:

hope incoming Tx will happen if relay will have incoming peers - but for that topologyUpdater should work

I am using crontab to execute topologyupdater. I will attempt to run it manually and see if it is working.

Then it wont work manually either…

Do you have this line in your topologyUpdater?
cardano-cli query tip --mainnet | jq -r .blockNo

I am not currently able to check this but I will later today and update with what I find.

After reviewing the linked topic in your last post I opened my topologyUpdater.sh script and found the line you mentioned. I followed the steps that the previous poster had made by changing “.blockNo” to just “.block”. My updater script wont be running for another 45 minutes, but once it does should I be able to see the TX incrementing?

Good!

But I recommend to download the latest version of topologyUpdater - since there is no such line anymore…

yes, good chance that with a working topologyUpdater relays will find yours and start connecting to it.

How would I go about updating it…? Some of my basic Linux skills are VERY rusty. Will I need to make changes to the crontab with the new version of topologyUpdater.sh?

download the file and replace it with the old one…

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/cardano-community/guild-operators/alpha/scripts/cnode-helper-scripts/topologyUpdater.sh
mv topologyUpdater.sh /path/to/old/topologyUpdater.sh

that is it

1 Like

I received this error

1 Like

updated the previous post with the right address

I don’t think that downloaded the correct file, When I attempted to run it I received this -
./topologyUpdater.sh: line 7: syntax error near unexpected token newline' ./topologyUpdater.sh: line 7:
I entered “less topologyUpdater.sh”. And this is what it returned-

1 Like

I updated the post again - sorry, now it works

No problem, I appreciate the help. Now it looks like the right file was run but I’m unclear on what the output is saying

rob@relaynode:~/cardano-my-node$ ./topologyUpdater.sh
tee: /opt/cardano/cnode/logs/topologyUpdater_lastresult.json: No such file or directory
{ “resultcode”: “201”, “datetime”:“2021-04-14 22:36:58”, “clientIp”: “8.42.76.9”, “iptype”: 4, “msg”: “nice to meet you” }
mv: cannot stat ‘/opt/cardano/cnode/files/topology.json.tmp’: No such file or directory

do you have this folder?
ls /opt/cardano/cnode/logs/

I do not, my logs are here- /home/rob/cardano-my-node/logs, I can create that folder if necessary though.