Restoring 27 phrase paper wallet help

Do u have the old pc with win7?

Yes, but I can not do anything.

And I canā€™t update on this PC because the new version of Deadalus doesnā€™t work on W7.

Perfect, check if u can find the secret.key file inside daedalus state directory

C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Daedalus

The secret.key file

The secret.key file contains the private keys for all of a userā€™s Daedalus wallets. If users have lost their wallet recovery phrases, they can still use the secret.key file to import wallets, even without a full state directory backup. Without the full state directory, however, Daedalus will not be able to import wallet names, making it harder to match wallets with spending passwords. Users importing from just a secret.key file will need to try their known spending passwords against all imported wallets to correctly identify them.

The secret.key file is located in a subdirectory named Secrets-1.0 on Windows and macOS platforms, and a Secrets subdirectory on Linux, within the state directory location for each operating system.

1 Like

Got it.

Synching with blockchain. Again. :eyes:

Ok, did u used it to restore from file option in the new wallet right?

1 Like

ā†’ ā€œ+ Add walletā€
ā†’ ā€œimportā€
ā†’ from ā€œDeadalus ā€˜secret.keyā€™ fileā€
ā†’ typed in wallet name
ā†’ sync starts

1 Like

:partying_face:

OK. That worked. Thank you very much, @Alexd1985 :heart:

But now I have a whole bunch of questionsā€¦

1. What would have happened if I hadnā€™t had the secret.key file?

2. Why didnā€™t my recovery with the 27 words work?

3. Can I or do I have to do something now to save my ADA?

4. Should I save the ā€œnewā€ secret.key file and no longer rely on my 27 words?

5. Is it correct that ā€œByronā€ is next to the wallets?

6. Why do I still have no ā€œreceiveā€ tab? How do I find out my new(?) address now?

• What would have happened if I hadnā€™t had the secret.key file?

I donā€™t know, perhaps u were not able to recover funds with that seed words

• Why didnā€™t my recovery with the 27 words work?

Perhaps itā€™s wrong, canā€™t tell u for sureā€¦ I wanted to check an old seed words from my byron wallet but havenā€™t time
As u can see the seed words restored another wallet than the secret.key

• Can I or do I have to do something now to save my ADA?

You will need to create a new shelley wallet (bkp the new 24 seed word and move ada from byron to shelley)

• create new shelley wallet
  • bkp the new 24 seed words
  • move 10 ADA from byron to shelley wallet
  • delete the shelley wallet and restore it again with the 24 seed words
  • if u see the 10 ADA after restore it means the seed words is fine and u can move all ada from byron to shelley
  • start delegating to earn free ada

Or if u want u can order a ledger wallet and store the funds in ledger

• Should I save the ā€œnewā€ secret.key file and no longer rely on my 27 words?

Once u moved the ada from byron to shelley u will not need the secret.file, from now on u will use the 24 seed words (shelley)

Or u can save the fike if u will keep the funds on byron

• Is it correct that ā€œByronā€ is next to the wallets?

Being an old wallet, it is fine

• Why do I still have no ā€œreceiveā€ tab? How do I find out my new(?) address now?

Because we are in shelley era and ur wallet is a byron one

!!! Be carefull what apps were installed on the new PCā€¦ many people lost the funds ā€¦ I think the PC were infected

1 Like

I find that extremely scary.

No this can not be. As written: I restored my wallet in 2019 with these words.

Ok. I will do that. (Apart from staking, because thatā€™s not worth it for tax reasons.)

I understand.

And thatā€™s why the 27 words donā€™t work? I doubt it. :wink:

Thanks first of all. Iā€™ll get back to you when Iā€™m ready.

Noo, U should checkā€¦ the pc should not be hacked otherwise u can lose the funds

And also keep in mind that there is no giveawayā€¦ all those giveaways are fakeā€¦ do not send ada out of the wallet to anyone

1 Like

Yes, I know.

But the question is why the 27 words didnā€™t work. This can not and must not be.

Thank you, but I know that too. Iā€™m MOD in a (relatively) large german crypto community and have already written many articles about SCAM, DYOR, regulations, taxes etc.

I am not a beginner and I am very (very) careful. :slight_smile:

This is precisely why it is incomprehensible to me why my seed did not work.
Itā€™s 100% correct and Iā€™m not too stupid to enter it. :wink:

I will try to restore an old byron wallet to see if I can see the transactions historyā€¦

Thank you, but I know that too. Iā€™m MOD in a (relatively) large german crypto community and have already written many articles about SCAM, DYOR, regulations, taxes etc.

wow, greatā€¦ maybe u will mention my Cardano Pool and my project on that channel :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unfortunately, staking is not profitable in germany. There are only a few staking here. :frowning:

Butā€¦wait for my DM. :wink:

Ok, back to the topic.

It took a while because I completely reinstalled my PC.

The 24 words worked. My Daedalus Wallet (Shelley) is back. :partying_face:

But there is one thing that irritates me now: There is no secret.key file. The subdirectory Secrets-1.0 is empty.

Does this file no longer exist or has it been renamed?

I donā€™t want to rely on the 24 words again and would like to have an additional ā€œbackupā€, if this is possible.

[EDIT]
I just realized that I canā€™t send you DM. Is this function not activated here? :frowning:

Secret file was for byron wallet as far as I knowā€¦ but try now to restore using the all daedalus state folderā€¦ it will allows you?

If not working, bkp the seed words somewhere away from the internet and u will be safe; if it worked once to restore the wallet then is fine

From now on before to uninstall/delete the daedalus, check first if u have the seed words and if itā€™s working

Thatā€™s what I thought about my 27-Byron-words and it didnā€™t work.

Without my old secret.key I would have lost my coins.

there are 2 possibilities:

• the seed words itā€™s not ok
  • something is not ok

but to be sure I need to test my old byron address (I will restore my old byron wallet to see if I can see the transactions history). if after the test I will be able to see the transactions history then it means the problem is the seed words maybe you have 2ā€¦ or you mixed few words orā€¦ I donā€™t know

1 Like

The seed is ok. Definitely.

As I already wrote: I installed the wallet in 2018. The HDD space was running out and I had to move to a new PC. The backup worked fine.

Well, I would say that the restore process does not work properly in the new version.
I canā€™t imagine anything being changed in the code, but thatā€™s the only explanation for me right now.

Yes, please.

I printed out the ā€œDaedalus Wallet Paper Certificateā€. (Printer without internet access)

I canā€™t have entered a wrong seed.

Did the restore work for you or did you not have the time yet? :slight_smile:

Hello to all,
I have exactly the same problem.
The 27 phrases are 100% correct and it created a 0 ADA wallet.
I donĀ“t have a secret.key file. The subdirectory Secrets-1.0 is just empty.

Does this mean the 27 phrases are not secure?
Those paper were 4 years in my safe in the basement and nobody knows it.
What can be done?

Many thx
Chris

You could try to restore the wallet on adalite.io. Itā€™s the only wallet app apart from Daedalus that still has some support for Byron-era wallets (including 27 word seed phrases it seems).

(If you manage to find the funds, that is probably a reason to create a new Shelley-era wallet and move the funds there so that you can use it with all the modern Cardano wallet apps.)