Restoring 27 phrase paper wallet help

Many thx! ADAlite accepts the 27 words and shows the warning “you are accessing shelly incompatible wallte” and shows 0 ADA.
There can be found 19 adresses and the first one is exactly the one adress printed on the paper certificated created around 2018.
So the phrase is 100% correct and I know that I used the phrase one time successfully in 2019, when I moved from old laptop to new laptop.
Then I did not use the Daedalus many years… And now the desaster.
I was always trusting in the 27 word phrase. Never thought that it is sometime no more supported and the ADAs are lost in space.
:frowning:
Well it is only 1000 Dollar… but could be a million…
Too sad.

Are you absolutely sure that you transferred the ADA to this wallet?

You should then see a transaction history and also what happened to them.

You can also search the address in a blockchain explorer like adastat.net or cardanoscan.io to see if anything has happened on these addresses.

If there is no transaction history, it is quite possible that you generated a paper wallet with Daedalus, but actually used a different wallet with a different seed phrase. Most wallet apps can manage a lot of different wallets with different seed phrases in parallel. Just because you create a new one – paper or not – doesn’t mean that other wallets are somehow tied to this newly created one.

Do you have any other seed phrases given to you at the time?

Maybe a backup of the secret key files of Daedalus?

You could try to re-install your old Daedalus wallet with your 27 words.
Maybe this creates the secret.key?! :thinking:

I really tried everything back then to restore my wallet with the 27 words. But only with the secret.key file it worked.

Thanks again to @Alexd1985 :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

1 Like

Many thx to you 2:
I am 1000% sure that this is the correct 27 seed phrase, because in 2019 I used it for a new laptop installation. No problem at that time.
Under transactions is just nothing displayed.
I never ever had 2 wallets on Daedalus, that I know for sure.
So I don´t have another phrase or a later phrase. I saw no need to create a new phrase in 2019, because it was working perfectly.
I doubt that somebody can restore with the old 27 seed phrase in the current version 2024 of Daedalus a wallet. This must be a bug.
I don´t have a copy of the secret.key file… If I just have knewn this in 2018 :frowning:

Reinstall of a older Daedalus software and import there? Which older version would work? Where can I find it?

Did you check on adastat.net or cardanoscan.io if that address – the one printed on the paper wallet and shown by Adalite – has any transaction history, was ever used?

The 27 words will only give access to the wallet with that address and to nothing else.

The idea of a paper wallet was to have an additional wallet that only exists on paper, that you send ADA to the address on that paper and it will not be accessible in Daedalus until you restore the wallet with the 27 words a long time later.

So, the usual way would have been: You have your regular online wallet with a 12 word seed phrase and then you click the icon to create a paper wallet and get that PDF with the 27 words (9 of them written by hand). But that has nothing to do with the online wallet that is already there. It does not give access to the existing wallet. It is an additional empty wallet to just send to and later redeem with the seed phrase. The existing wallet will still need the original 12 words (or the secret.key file) to restore.

For what it’s worth, here is an old video showing how paper wallets were created back in the days: https://youtu.be/lLy6ScllTZw?si=JfginS8mhybB9X0D&t=570 And at exactly the timestamped position it says that it included a confirmation that this paper wallet will not be stored in Daedalus.

What you are describing is only possible if you never created a usual Daedalus wallet, but only a paper wallet and then immediately restored that wallet to become your only Daedalus wallet. Technically possible, but somehow unlikely.

…, but then this is not really possible. :woman_shrugging:

Can only have worked using the 12 word seed phrase or just copying over the Daedalus folders or at least the secret.key file.

That is it! I never unerstood this. I never sent my ADA to the paper wallet. And that is the reason why there is no transaction on the paper wallet.

Can only say now:
Thank you and byebye my dear money… have fun in NIRVANA

PS: And my remembering of 2019 must be wrong!

1 Like

I think you (justaguy) did the same failure like me.
You never send the ADA to the adress on the paper wallet adress, correct?
Then this all is explainable… at least… :slight_smile:

I think you speak german!? click here

Danke für den zweiten Beitrag.

GOOD NEWS!
I fixed it myself with trying, because I had a copy of the Daedalus Mainnet folder.
In the secret 1.0 folder was no secret.key available, because I had already installed a newer version on the old laptop.
But the wallets folder was filled with files!
I installed Daedalus freshly WITHOUT any wallet and just synced it with the blockchain.
I closed the Daedalus app.
In the wallets folder was only one file stake-pools.sqlite.
Then I copied the old other files from the old copy into the wallets folder.
Then started the Daedalus again and saw after some minutes my old transactions.
Then it needed 1 night of syncing again and my ADAs are back again!

Hope this will help others in the future.
Chris

Awesome! but can u move the ADA? because without the spending password shouldn’t work

The ADA wallet password I still have noted. 1 ADA test sending to Binance worked successfully . All is good!

1 Like