Running headless node 24/7 in Reward Era

When we go into the Reward Era, I would like to run a full Cardano node 24/7 on my Synology DS415+. Currently, I’m capable of running the Cardano-SL back end with wallet on the Synology server in a Docker container but I have not succeed in connecting the Daedalus middleware and frontend GUI to the backend using the Synology box simply because there is no xwindows on the system which is needed for the wallet GUI. This does not have to be a problem if the Daedalus middleware could run on the NAS together with the backend 24/7 like a headless node but I’m not sure if this is possible.

I hope one of the developers could shed some light on this.

2 Likes

Maybe I should ask a question to get an answer:

As far as I understand the Cardano software, there are 3 components:

1. Cardano-ls node (backend)
  2. Deadalus wallet middelware
  3. Deadalus wallet frontend

Is it possible to only run Cardano-ls node and Deadalus wallet middelware and participate in staking?

New question:
Is it possible to run the Windows or MacOS Deadalus wallet and connect it to a different node (i.e. my own cardano-sl node)?

Is there a reason my previous questions are not answered? Maybe I ask stupid questions but would really appreciate an answer. Even an answer that the question is stupid or irrelevant is appreciated…

This should/will be possible as POS and ATM have synced blockchain for faster transaction speeds, closest viable nodes.

As long as the specs of your NAS supports the Cardano settlement layer, which you have confirmed it does, then yes you will be able to run headless, remember the wallet has a PureScript API.

Cheers,
Joanthan

1 Like

I finally succeeded in setup a proper headless cardano-sl node and the Deadalus wallet on Linux. See my HOW TO on setting up the node in a Docker container.

5 Likes

Thanks for the write up! I am trying it out on my linode now

Great! Let me know if you succeed…

I actually unable to do the building part, and started looking at this: https://github.com/h4ck3rm1k3/cardano-sl

It seems like they provided the script for building from scratch, instead of doing nix-build ourselves.

Yes, that’s the other build method. That one didn’t work out for me but James is very responsive and willing to help you if you have any questions. Success!

I have another question for developers:

Currently, I’m running a headless cardano-sl node on my server. I can attach the Daedalus wallet to it and then see my ADA in the wallet and in the logs of the cardano-sl node. However, when I close Daedalus, the node does not show any reference to my ADA wallet anymore. So, when we go into the Reward Era, does this mean you have to run node and wallet 24/7 or is running the node enough once you stake or delegate your ADA in the wallet?

Wow this is all so complicated. I hope before the reward era starts those of us with little tech understanding can get a detailed walkthrough on whats needed to set up an effective full node.

I hardly know what I am even reading but I missed the train on bitcoin mining and want to go full steam ahead with POS on Cardano

Hello, did you manage to get this working on your synology NAS? If so, could you possibly provide some brief guidance for the process?

Many thanks

1 Like

Yes, I got it working and it is running 24/7 smoothly. I have written a little HOW TO on Github. You can find it here.

2 Likes

Great work - thanks very much for your help!

Does hardware or speed of net make any difference with the PoS method?
Any projected net usage? i.e. if I have a node what resources does it need

Great write up zmeel!

I saw your Grafana setup in another post, do you mind sharing how was it setup?

Thanks!

Did you get any response if there’s a need for Daedalus client to run 24/7? Is the headless SL enough for POS?

@bearbearbowl: I’m running a python scripts that is scrapping the log file. The script sends the results to InfluxDB and Grafana is used to make the nice graphs. Everything is running in different docker containers and currently it is a bit of a mess because some of these containers are on different subnets and therefore having difficulties reaching each other. I’m trying to simplify things at the moment and then I could make a litte HOW TO if people are interested.

2 Likes

@javaronin: No, unfortunately no answers yet. Actually, Chainomatic is the only one who answered on of the questions I asked. I guess, developers are not reading this forum or do not have the time to answer all our questions. I have still many! I’m really curious what my node is doing currently. In the logs, I see it is connected to a different node on port 3000. I have port 3000 closed on my router (just opened it). The logs always mention peers=0. I’m curious if I will see incoming connections now the port is open.

1 Like

Hello, I am using the nix build as well. So, headless I am doing with port forwarding.