The next big thing in Cardano: Land registration reform

6 Likes

While it is definitely an opportunity for Cardano these registrations are only work in countries with stable legal system. In a country like nigeria you can engrave your registration on gold bars if you like people will still be coming out of the woodwork kill you and take away your home and property. If no one even respects/cares about the law then what is the point doing anything there.

2 Likes
3 Likes

French speaking Africa is also in the game.

But as @Aione said first the legal system has to be stable. So maybe the question would be how to make the legal system more stable with Dapps ?

2 Likes

you’ve got a point here, but that’s in fact why we need some kind of record of original owners of land and properties. There really is no place for justice for lawlessness in cases like this where there’s no record. Africa needs blockchain either ways.

I would really love to connect with any french speaking african that is enthusiastic about cardano :))

2 Likes

Great, I’ve been looking for your contact too :o)
I’m giving a course on blockchain to civil servant in Ivory coast and wanted to introduce Cardano. my students are computer literate. I already introduce the bitcoin blockchain, and the scaling problematic. but I only mentioned smart contracts. I myself am not an expert but I’m quickly getting up-to date. Next course (4h) will be next Tuesday. I want to dive in the technical details of PoW and PoStack and PoSpace and something practical to do. I don’t know what exactly yet.

If you have an idea, please share it.
Thank you

2 Likes

Wow, that’s great work already man. I’ll be in contact w you now

In fact, there are records in africa, but they are oral records. The african approach is not “the code is umutable and it is law”, I think it’s more “the speech is mutable and it’s the speaking that makes the law”

One question I often ask myself we comparing written and oral cultures, is which approach is the closest to truth, or what is truth ?

Let’s take the story of Romeo and Juliette. What is the message of the shaking spear (Shakespeare, I guess an image of the feather used to write down, maybe not a real name that’s my spirit making a context) ? What is the most important ? the shaking or the spear ? the process or the text?

If one wanted to get the true message or Romeo and Juliette:

1. Should he build a time machine to go back to medieval Italy (the code, context is law).
  2. Or would he have more luck living himself a passionate love and try to explain it in plain modern english.

In Theology. Does one needs to understand ancient Hebrew or even read hieroglyph scripts to understand the nature of God or the religion or what could be a spirit ?

In other words, when I write something (even for myself) isn’t the important thing the spirit (ie the moving context) with which I write it ? and if so, since the spirit continues to evolve once I took its snapshot with a script, shouldn’t I have the right to update it ?

I’m probably very confused in my examples and this may not be the right place, but I see 2 things when comparing written and oral traditions.

1. in written tradition we try to freeze the truth in text, adding more and more meta-data to freeze the context too. We execute code to do that. Then, we try to stick or peg the present, any reality, to what we believe was written. The additional meta-data is there to convince ourselves that we understand the truth of the text and we have the message. (like plunging one self in medieval Italy to understand Romeo and Juliette, if not physical at least virtually).

2. in oral tradition, we focus more on the processes believing that truth can never totally hold in a finite number of words. The confidence is in medium or the messenger. One may give some consideration to this text because I can indeed, update it easily.

But, to conclude this already too long text, I think the debate should not be where I took it. It’s not about the nature of law: written, process or written process i.e. code, but on what part of humanity should be:

• engraved for ever (text),
  • in the noosphere (process)
  • or at the intersection of both (written process, a tentative to catch a the context)

In Africa, we observe a clash between written roman tradition law and oral african tradition law. Modern states obviously try to enforce the written roman tradition that even influenced the anglo-saxon tradition, but in fact the oral african tradition is far more decentralize. So why not try to catch up with it directly instead of reverting to a written tradition that was the tool a centralized roman empire ?

1 Like

I fully agree with you.

I can share with your records that were clearly tempered with.

My family got three versions from the census office where some of these records are stored.

After we contested the first version they gave us a second version.

After we contested the second they gave us a third version

We escalated the third version to the minister and then the office told the minister that their research was done well.

The problem is that we have been merged with two different families.

We found this out because we paid for the birth and death certificates in the family tree they gave us.

The problem here is that several folks working in the office holds apartments on our land. So you see l, there is no justice.

But our battle not over yet.

We need a blockchain powered system.

It would be interesting to get close to the traditional chief in talks with the State, about formalizing land ownership. See how the traditional way of settling land dispute could be eased with block chain.

I think there is a lot in common in the decentralized traditional way of doing things and the block chain.

This short video on the first distributed ledger really kick started some though of connecting tradition with modernity

1 Like

I have also my eyes on PoA (Proof of Africa)

Africa can be a huge market for Cardano with millions of people involved.