Two same words in 27 word recovery phase of my paper wallet

I bought some ADAs and created a paper wallet to store my ADA. While writing down 27 words recovery phrase i noticed that two of them are same words. I want to be sure if it is normal or is there any problem ? Thanks

1 Like

I wouldn’t say it is normal, I never seen it myself. But I think it is possible as the words are like giant letters.

2 Likes

Yep, the Matrix had some anomaly, but it’s working again.

1 Like

I am not being able to be confident enough to send funds to the wallet … Did anybody has got the samee issue before ? Or i am the 1st one .

Looks like nobody else around here has heard of it. You could try restoring it but in the case of paper wallets that destroys it. Maybe just forget that one and make another?

1 Like

This is normal, the words are randomly selected and some may coincide. It is very difficult for someone to decipher your series of words and much less the correct order. This is not a issue
Regards

4 Likes

This isn’t a problem, just not a likely thing to happen. These words are basically a long number encoded using this dictionary of words. Can be compared to some sequence repeating in a decimal-represented number, e.g. 57292847528928473.

If you feel uncomfortable with it, destroy it and generate a new one.

1 Like

Thanks Rob

Thanks !! But the same issue repeated when i tried to create a second paper wallet.

Thanks !! But the same issue repeated when i tried to create a second paper wallet…

Chances of this happening twice in a row are about 1:10,000 if we assume the words to be uniformly random. It’s odd, but not impossible. Generate more, see how far you can take it. :grinning:

1 Like

GONNA BE FUN THOUGH… YEAH I AM GONNA TRY

1 Like

I have paper wallet with two words and it works just fine so you’re not alone in this.

1 Like

Where did you get that from? It’s ~1/4M for me, but it’s still acceptable.

I was being ignorant and assumed that there’s a 27 / 2048 ≈ 1% chance of generating such a wallet. (Assuming each word is random, which I realize might not be, there’s a checksum in it and I don’t know what else.) I now realize this is a more complex problem. I was surprised to find that there’s a much higher chance of generating such a wallet, about 16%, so probability of generating two such wallets in a row is 2.5%. Could this be true?

1 Like

Sorry, I misunderstood, thought two same word next to each other.
It’s not as complicated if they use BIP39 somehow for the 27-word mnemonic. As an example, the entropy (128 bits) is generated first (using some PRNG), then they caclulate the CRC of that entropy (last 4 bits of the SHA256 of the entropy) for generating a 12-word mnemonic (132 bit) by splitting this 132 bits to 11bits (indexes of the mnemonic).

3 Likes

You can try raising the issue on Cardano’s reddit community sub page.

Maybe you are not the only one. Or maybe you are. Worth a try

1 Like

Paper wallet mnemonics are not standard BIP-39 mnemonics, they are just specially scrambled BIP-39 12-word mnemonics and the resulting scrambled byte string is encoded back to a 27-word mnemonic (first 18-words are the scrambled mnemonic itself, the remaining 9 words encode the passphrase used for scrambling), so there aren’t really any constraints on the structure of the paper wallet mnemonic apart from the word count. I know it because I was reverse engineering it for our own wallet - cardanolite (https://www.cardanolite.com).

4 Likes

I had a look at it and they use a BIP39’s 12-word and a BIP39’s 9-word mnemonics to generate the 27-word paper wallet. They use the 9-word one for generating a spending (certificate) password and then scrambling the 12-word to to a 18-word.

2 Likes

Ooops, sorry did not see that you have already answered it. I thought it was a BIP39 12-word (using some random input vector to extend it to 18) instead of a BIP39 18-word one. But, I can be wrong.

1 Like