Cardano 1.5 testnet: Daedalus 0.13.0 with Cardano SL 3.0.0

Today we release Cardano 1.5 on the Cardano testnet in preparation for the later release to the mainnet. The Cardano 1.5 release is a milestone because it is the last Cardano release of the Byron development phase, which we have been in since the launch of mainnet.

Cardano 1.5 is important in preparation for moving to the Shelley development phase. This update brings a new consensus protocol, Ouroboros BFT, which is a key step in the transition from Ouroboros Classic, the current consensus protocol running the Cardano network, to Ouroboros Genesis, the protocol for the Shelley era. Ouroboros Genesis is a major upgrade to the protocol that underpins Cardano because it is first proof-of-stake protocol that matches the security guarantees of proof-of-work protocols such as Bitcoin.

Ouroboros BFT will not be immediately activated after deployment of the 1.5 release. It will be activated through a protocol update later, which will be announced separately. This protocol update will deactivate the Ouroboros Classic protocol and activate the Ouroboros BFT consensus protocol. This update is technically a hard fork but will take place in a smooth and automatic way because this is a planned protocol upgrade whereby all parties of the current federated system have agreed to the change.

Anyone running a Cardano version before 1.5 will not be able to make the hard fork. Users of the Cardano testnet are strongly encouraged to upgrade to 1.5 to help the development team test the transition on the testnet before we make Cardano 1.5 release on the mainnet. When the 1.5 release is made later on the mainnet, users will be able to easily upgrade by following prompts in Daedalus.

Cryptocurrency exchanges that have still not migrated from v0 to v1 of the wallet API should do so now. We encourage exchanges to use this testnet release to test their integration with the v1 API. The v0 wallet API, which was deprecated in the 1.4 release, is now completely removed in the 1.5 release and can no longer be used.

The Cardano 1.5 release also makes many other improvements. These include performance improvements when rendering lists with a large number of transactions and wallet addresses, the addition of features for detecting insufficient disk space, and a new screen that visualizes the block storage consolidation process.

For more information please see the release notes.

34 Likes

Good stuff!!!

1 Like

Great thanks for keeping us informed!

1 Like

The future is exciting!

so daedalus 0.13 avaiable to download now?

So would I need to do anything to the Ada I hold in my exchange account or on my Yoroi wallet?

Yep, but only for TESTNET and from here.

1 Like

Great Job everybody!

Excellent news. Thanks for the update.

Iā€™m confused, isnā€™t that link for developers? What if im just a long term investor in the project. If Iā€™m holding on an exchange or in my Yoroi wallet what will happen during/after the hardfork?

TESTNET means for testing, not for real usage. You donā€™t have to worry about the hard fork, just say yes to wallet updates.

1 Like

You dont have to worry about the ADA in Yoroi or a Trezor model T, especially since Yoroi has such a good relationship with IOHK. They will make sure everything goes as smooth as possible. I would not hold any crypto on any exchange for any long term period though. Also, just make sure you have your seed phrase(s) in a safe place(s) and youā€™ll be fine long term. Commit them to memory as well to be completely safe.

Thanks for confirming

It appears there is a difference to the ā€œUSERS ON THE TESTNETā€ and those who did not participate on the testnet.

Users/holders of ADA who did not participate on the testnet it appears can upgrade with no concern when Shelly is launched on the mainnet. At that point, at least on the Daedalus wallet we will have a notification in/on it that will provide and upgrade notification. My understanding is that from that wallet one can simply activate the upgrade in the wallet for it to happen.

IF ANYBODY knows something different PLEASE post it so we are all aware.

I lost $20,000. in XLM because I didnā€™t get it right when they did their major upgrade. I didnā€™t pay attention to detail instructions. Still looking for a solution.

It looks like Cardano has taken reasonable steps to prevent this from being experienced among their holders. Lots of heads up warnings and a reasonably clear road map help. After my experience with XLM Iā€™ll probably always be a bit nervous about these kinds of upgrades.

I wish they would separate the instructions for testnet participants and the rest of us. Just to settle my nerves. LOL. Iā€™m serious.

When Shelly is released to the mainnet will the upgrade to Cardano ADA blockchain and the Daedalus wallet be separate upgrades that will activate separately or will the upgrade when activated be contiguous, (one automatically follows the other upon activation of the upgrade process in the wallet)?

Very sorry to hear about your XLM experience, thatā€™s horrendous.

I havenā€™t seen/heard confusion between testnet and mainnet in any official information, some people got confused but ISTM they hadnā€™t paid enough attention to what was actually quite clear.

Shelley release is not a one step operation, but for ordinary Daedalus users all updates/upgrades will come in the form of Daedalus updates, whether the change is in the backend, the frontend or both.

Thank you. I appreciate your reply.

Yes the XLM situation is a very bad experience. Iā€™m very sensitive to potential issues. I am working with Ledger and XLM to try to resolve the issue. Itā€™s a grueling process since everyone is afraid of telephones today. Nothing is as easy as it used to be.

My reference to the Testnet vrs mainnet was raised from reading some of the comments in this forum. People seemed to (like me) be wanting clarification between themselves and testnet users. Ordinary ā€œusersā€ is an odd reference. here is why >>> no one to date is a user. You have testnet participants, ADA traders and ADA holders/traders. Users is used in the original description of two groups it appears. Testnet and everyone else. Both are called users and there literally are no users YET. LOL. Yikes!! anyway, your explanation does make it a bit clearer.

Iā€™ll look for the update notification in Daedalus wallet. However, will the wallet update as part of the process? Or will there be two separate updates?

I appreciate your earlier reply. It was very helpful.

craig

1 Like

Good luck on the XLM thing.

You can certainly take the view that there are not really any Cardano users yet, but there are many users of Daedalus and the other wallets, and I believe thatā€™s all thatā€™s meant here.

As I understand it there will be three releases before Shelley is fully operational, of which Cardano 1.5 is the first. IMO ordinary Daedalus users donā€™t need to concern themselves with what each update contains.

I m very sorry for you for the XLM thing, good luck

I really think you have just to follow the updates of Daedalus wallet and not to care that much about testnets if you are not interested or just have ADA for holding it for long term

If you are exclusively a holder of ADA, this what I m personally doing then if you wish you do the same or not, just sharing what I m doing

1- I have multiple ADA addresses that I donā€™t have nowhere other than the blockchain

Meaning
I open a multiple wallets on Daedalus I transfer funds ( obviously I keep the 12 words for each wallet ) and I delete those wallets from Daedalus

So I jut have the 12 words for each wallet and the the address to check time in time about the balance!

I plan to restore the wallets for delegation/staking once is live, to delegate then erase them again ā€¦ until one day I use them
That stack of ADA in my perseption is long term holding

2- I have 2-3 wallets permanently on Daedalus that I would use them sooner than the other ones and it serve to me as data about rewards on staking once Shelly is released and trading eventually once there are sufficient patterns that make believe I would have gains ( I m bad trader as I love too much ADA, selling it breaks my heart )

3- As Yoroi is a light client, and a Mobil version is available + ( I trust they are doing a great job! ) I keep an certain amount of ADA that I believe itā€™s good for me for wherever it is
Commercial stuff, buying goods/services, using a currency for what it meant to be used
Quick transactions basically