Daedalus 0.8.0.0 HODLing for too long without checking, how do I upgrade?

Ive bought a fair amount of ADA and used this old wallet
now when opening it up it takes days trying to connect
Can someone be kind enough what to baby me through
what I could do so I dont lose my investment?
Ive been so busy with first child so crypto time was sacrificed

1 Like

As long as you have your 12-word recovery phrase, you are golden, no worries.

If you want to upgrade now, assuming you do have your recovery phrase just as a precaution, all you have to do is install the latest Daedalus wallet on your system.

If you do not have your recovery phrase, please let me know, and I can assist you in backing up your current wallet before installing over it.

PS
Congratulations on your new arrival.

2 Likes

Greetings Jotunn
Matisse is a welcome handful thank you
Unfortunately no recovery phrase here
Was quite new to crypto and using this
wallet in its early incarnation was also
challenging but after I got my funds in there
I was just happy to HODL it for years.
However seems I need to upgrade the
wallet once in a while or change it ADA
to its newer form? All unexpected.

Unfortunately no recovery phrase here

You had one job. Daedalus specifically tells you to “write down and save” it. I recommend to immediately make a backup of the entire Daedalus data directory (e.g. ZIP it), which is ~/Library/Application Support/Daedalus/ (Mac), %appdata%\Daedalus\ (Windows). Then try and install the latest version of Daedalus and see if it works.

2 Likes

My apologies I have found the 12 word recovery phrase! thank goodness
lack of sleep does for so many years my apologies and thank you for your help

4 Likes

I second this, do it now! Then install the new version, once installed create a paper wallet, precisely following the directions, later transfer your Ada to that paper wallet so you are not dependent on upgrading Daedalus any longer.

2 Likes

Thank you kindly for all your suggestions will get on it asap but just to add to the drama we have just experienced no power so no internet for 4 days, however we are all safe after 250kmhr winds from Typhoon Trami but another is coming out way in a few days so will try and do it before then.
Many regards, M and family. Will write update processing again after I go through the suggestions.

Stay safe! :open_mouth:

1 Like