Daedalus 4.6.0 16 GB RAM minumum?

I see the new minimum for RAM to run Daedalus is 16GB. Does anyone know if it can run on an 8GB machine?

What OS do u have?

1 Like

I’m running macOS 10.15.7 Catalina.

For windows u can increase the swap file size but for Catalina I think will not work. U must upgrade the RAM or u can migrate to yoroi (light wallet)

is it a simple wallet or HW wallet?

1 Like

wow now 16gb brainpower needed,after you sad to me about swapfile,its stil working perfect with my 8gb ,fast verifies the chain load up the sync in 20/30 min when i leave my sync @all times no less then 95%.what you think charles going to work on this usage of 16gb to bring it down or not to increase it more🤔
thanks mate​:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

16 GB of RAM to run wallet? insane and laughable. Stake pool don’t need that much RAM

That’s only if you choose to run a full node wallet like Daedalus. You can always use regular wallets like Yoroi or AdaLite instead.

Also, stake pools now need more then 8GB or RAM for BP Nodes as well.

Full node wallets were never meant to be the main use wallets. It’s just that Daedalus is so much better then all other wallets (if you can run it). Hopefully the new light wallet that IOG/IOHK announced for 2022 is a lot more user-friendly then what we have now. :smiley:

1 Like

I know exactly how much RAM need stake pool my friend. I run my own cardano stake pool. But we talking here about Daedalus which requierd 16GB of RAM which is still more then stake pool need at the moment. Thats the point. And so far I use only Daedalus from the begining, but the fact is just single aplication taking so much memory and sync ages is not really nice experience for a lot of people.

1 Like

In Daedalus under alerts it’s noted as a new requirement but the link to the IOHK article calls it “recommended”.

Anyway I do have it running on my 8GB RAM MacBook Pro. It’s an old one, late 2013. Not my main machine.

Here’s the link to the IOHK page.

Based on our measurements, we recommend 16GB, but 8GB might be enough, as others have said, especially if you are not running many other applications. MacOS does seem to handle paging reasonably well.

The memory usage requirement is basically driven by the size of the chain. We are working on various improvements (a new version of the node is in the pipeline that reduces memory usage, for example).

3 Likes

know my beloved team cardano is working very hard,great efforts to stay ahead of your game going in to 2022 charles h will come out with soo much great news cardano ecosystem expanding its scaling,speed,smartcontrts,nft,dapps, partnerships,x chain briges with other crypto,and my no 1 on my lists​:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::joy: paying with ada @ Mcdonalds for a bigmac​:fries::hamburger::cup_with_straw:

I like Daedalus. I trust it and feel it’s safe and secure. I don’t feel that way about browser plugins. Daedalus is slow in that it keeps the entire blockchain locally. I launch it frequently to keep it up to date. I’m not doing many transactions. In fact, I don’t do any since I’ve got my ADA staked in a few pools. Every epoch I download my rewards and see how my pools are performing. So I’m good with Daedalus.

My computer doesn’t meet these requirements which is very disappointing. 16 Gb is a huge amount of memory. If you want to to run a program that simulates an entire galaxy, then I understand thst you need a large amount of ram. But is it really necessary for a cryptocurrency wallet which seems rather pedestrian in comparison? Is there any justification?

I suspect that the wallet is bloated. It could have something to do with the language used or that it simply doesn’t make it possibe to conttrol how the memory is used. Thank god FoxPro isn’t used which was not efficient at all. I remember it seemed as if it grabbed as much as it could.

Is there any hope that next phase of Cardano will bring a wallet for which 8 Gb will suffice? I could do without animations if that helps.

Daedalus is a full server node. You should try a lightweight wallet like Yoroi.

:thinking: strange my wallet runs now very smooth on 8gb ram with this flags active mode on for weeks now​:man_shrugging:

The thread is from December, before these flags were introduced. RAM really seems to be not such an issue, anymore.

But on the other side, the traffic has become so much more since then, that I wouldn’t recommend Daedalus for regular users anymore. It’s disk usage is growing rapidly and it takes hours for syncing even if you only had it off for just a few days. …

just did it today the sync after 6 days and 40min later booom 100% sync​:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::crazy_face::+1:

Unfortunately, yoroi didn’t accept my hw wallet last time. I giess it has been fixed. Also, being a programmer, I would like to play with json interfaces so Daedalus seems like my best choice. Not very important, I’ll manage.

Hi. My Lenovo Thinkpad has 4 GB of ram and will no longer sync fully. Balance and transactions are 93.8% synced after days of running the computer. I can upgrade the ram to 8 gb only. I understand that I can restore the wallet on Yoroi etc. My problem is that I can’t find the recovery phrase for this wallet. My coins are in a stake pool(scar 2). Does anyone have any idea how to solve my problem? I have the original 12 word Cardano seed which I used to restore a wallet on my friend’s desktop(12 gb ram capacity). That Byron wallet’s transactions shows that I sent all the coins to my current wallet so that I could stake them. Is there a way to move my my wallet from the Thinkpad to anothe computer without the recovery phrase??

1 Like