Daedalus Installation & Tutorials for Newbies

Hi All,
I just joined. Checked #education section but saw some posts there which were quite old - from 2017 or 2018.
Watched @bitboy_crypto on Youtube - Interview of Charles H. Used Ben’s links to find Cardano Foundation website, then links to Daedalus (wallet).

INSTALLATION PROBLEMS

1. Installed Daedalus 3.3.2 - 2 nights ago, had some problem with installation.
  2. After install, it was on my desktop. After opening it, it gave me an error message, 2 applications are open, to close one. I couldn’t find where they were open.
  3. In Menu of my PC, I saw latest download and clicked on it. Then I was able to login, password, 24 words etc. It was syncing to the blockchain… took a long time. I left it.
  4. I couldn’t find it tonight. Went to Menu again, click, “Pin to Start” and then it had same message, 2 applications are open. Removed Pin to start. Pin to Taskbar.
  5. Somehow I saw one in the taskbar, it’s now verifying the blockchain 99.9%.
    Why is this happening? 2 applications open? I couldn’t see where the 2nd one was.
  6. I’ve used Exodus before, it’s very easy compared to Daedalus.
  7. Will buy Ledger or other hardware wallet soon. Sent Ledger XS back to Amazon, not enough storage space for my coins. Heard about Ledger being hacked.

STAKING

1. I had 15,000 ADA before, sold 7,000 by mistake due to FUD.
  2. Bought new batch over 4,000 ADA, thinking of staking as I hear ADA has good future. But I see some questions about problems with people’s ADA in Daedalus transferred from staking pool but not found in their wallet etc. I don’t want to lose my ADA… is it safe to keep it in Daedalus?

INTRODUCTION TUTORIALS
Please consider some intro/tutorial videos to help newbies:

1. Install Daedalus
  2. How to stake
  3. How to get ADA out of staking pool etc.
  4. How to avoid common mistakes etc.

Thank you.
Ivonne from Sydney

Dear Ivonne,

The mandatory links are:

This should help you to go on the right track.
Note: Always keep multiple copies of your seed phrase and spending password on paper stored not on a computer. Having a wallet is taking full responsibility (you are the bank). 15 k ADA is already worth to think about a hard wallet.
Second Note: There are no mobile versions for Daedalus and no give aways.

If you need more guidance feel free to ask.

With ADA we delegate we do not store (this is why I like ADA). You are free to do whatever / transfer wherever you want with your ADA. You have a onetime deposit of 2 ADA. which you will get back once you stop delegating for good.

Best,
Johann

1 Like

Daealus is 100% safe and secure as long u keep the seed words and spending password safely !

Cheers,

1 Like

Hi Johann,
Thanks for the quick reply and links/info.
Many people are buying ADA now and interested in staking as they want to wait for USD10 (price prediction). Hopefully they can join the staking pools.
Will check the manual tomorrow.
About Daedalus and cold wallet like Ledger, when I want to stake my ADA, I will send it to my Daedalus wallet right?
So it is easy to remove the pledge (to stake) and send it back to my Ledger when I am finished with staking? I saw someone asking about this in another post.
Yes, I will keep my password and PP safe. I know I cannot get it out without them.
Appreciate your time to help.
Kind regards
Ivonne

Dear Ivonne,

your ADA will stay with your hard wallet, but indeed you will have to connect to Daedalus or Yoroi to enjoy the staking. It is documented how to do it. If not me someone else will probably will find soon a link to a howto delegate with a hard wallet.

The price action is what brought a lot of attention and new people to the Cardano community. No financial advice but this market is very volatile.
I am happy you start to enjoy our community!

So it is easy to remove the pledge (to stake) and send it back to my Ledger when I am finished with staking? I saw someone asking about this in another post.

It is much easier than that, your ADA never leaves your hard wallet. All you give are the rights to a stake pool operator (SPO) to validate blocks. That said it is your responsibility to find an SPO. Try to avoid over saturated pools.

Best,
Johann

1 Like

Wow! You guys are so helpful! It’s reassuring as joining a new community can be scary for newbies. I will definitely bring more people here!
I was buying ADA to sell (swing trader) before and made some money but now, I’m also interested in the long-term benefits of ADA.
It’s a great project!
Charles’ AMA’s are very popular!
Thanks again!

1 Like

Happy to have you here!

Happy staking :slight_smile:

Best,
Johann

1 Like

Charles’ AMA’s are very popular!

be careful that there are many youtube videos with giveaway… many people lost their funds :frowning:
Remember that there will be no giveaways or airdrops…all these are SCAM!
keep ur ADA in ur wallet and u will be safe

Cheers,

2 Likes

Hi Alex and Johann,
Thanks guys for your help.
Have ordered Ledger wallet to keep my coins esp ADA safe.
I’ve seen scams saying from Cardano Foundation. Their video page shows “special” offer like send 2X ADA, get 4X ADA etc. Reported to Youtube. They seem to be gone.

Thanks for the warning!
Keep up the good work!

Kind regards
Ivonne

1 Like

And also was a fake daedalus app on google market place which stolen people’s seed words

Cheers,

1 Like

Dear Ivonne,

and whoever is interested in staking with hard wallet this is the telegram group you want to join.
The procedure to join takes up to 5 mins:

Because they try to avoid scammers. But it is worth it.

Best,
Johann

1 Like