Do additional pool owners need to register a stake address?

One of the owners of my pool has not delegated before, which means they’d never paid a 2 ADA deposit/registered a staking address. They provided me a stake verification key exported from AdaLite (I did the same for mine).

I didn’t have any issues submitting the transaction, but I’m unsure whether their balance will count towards the pledge. On the adapools site, their stake address shows “status: inactive” whereas mine shows “active”.

Should they have done this first? It seems strange that AdaLite allowed downlodaing the stake file to send to me without it being done if it was required, though if it is, what’s the correct way to fix it? Could they just delegate to the pool via AdaLite, or would that remove them as owner?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hello,

Just tell ur friend to delegate to the pool and everything will be fine!

Cheers,

1 Like

Cool, thanks! I presume this means that a) yes, they do need to have paid this deposit in order for their ADA to count towards the pledge and that b) delegating to a pool still counts as pledge if your stake verification was included in (and you signed) the pool transaction?

(right now, adapools and pooltool suggest the pledge is met, however one of them also shows the old pledge value, so I don’t know whether to trust the data is all consistent right now!)

Thanks!

Confirm above… points a & b
Tell me the ticker to show you something :slight_smile:

Ticker was TUPS, but changed it to CODER at the same time as changing owners + pledge:

It shows the updated pledge (40k) and a green tick suggesting it is met, though clicking through to them under owners shows “inactive”:

So…

• on pooltool.io it’s CODER and has 50k pledge
  • on adapools.org is TUPS and has 40k pledge
  • on pool.pm u lowered the pledge to 40k 2 hours ago

What pledge did u set?

It was originally TUPS/50k, I changed it to CODER/40k (20k coming from each of us). I’m trying to understand if their 20k is counting. It’s simple enough to have them delegate to the pool, though I’m curious if what we did was incorrect and it’s necessary, or if the registration is only required if they need to claim staking rewards (which they don’t here, as the rewards go to me).

• 788152b6fe3a53033e9df6d085516c025a22ce3c2762d51f50dc1684 - is delegated to NASEC
  • 75b9ee33f80a98c18cc3e9d0d7fb7c5878d1bb7a92b6c9469090500a - NOT delegated yet

NASEC was where I was delegated before creating the pool. I included the stake key (exported from Adalite) when creating the pool and then signed the pool transaction through Adalite (following the instructions from their post).

I assumed it showed as NASEC just because that’s where it’s active, otherwise the pledge would still not be met at all (but the pool sites all showed that it was - eg here the tooltip says “declared pledge met”, but that’s only possible if the NASEC delegation account is being counted in this pledge).

So now I’m even more confused :grimacing:

But u redelegate to coder after? Can u delegate wallets to coder and then register again the pool? Something is not working because on adapools I can’t see CODER and on pooltool.io I can’t see the plece modification…should appear like this (red arrow):

Cheers,

Nope, I haven’t not delegated to the pool directly - I thought that was done automatically as part of signing the pool transaction to become owner?

When I built the registration certificate with the new pledge, I passed both owners like this:

--pool-reward-account-verification-key-file ../stake.vrf \
    --pool-owner-stake-verification-key-file ../stake.vrf \
    --pool-owner-stake-verification-key-file ../stake2.vrf \

and after we both created witness files through Adalite, I created the transaction including them all:

cardano-cli transaction assemble \
  --tx-body-file tx.raw \
  --witness-file operator.witness \
  --witness-file pool.witness \
  --witness-file owner1.witness \
  --witness-file owner2.witness \
  --out-file tx2.signed

Can u delegate wallets to coder and then register again the pool?

I can, but it’ll have to be tomorrow so I can get them to re-witness the certificate. Is it normal to delegate the owner accounts to the pool though?

Something is not working because on adapools I can’t see CODER and on pooltool.io I can’t see the plece modification…should appear like this (red arrow):

Yeah, I wasn’t sure if these sites just had lots of caching and might take time to update (or their own bugs). Adapools is showing everything correctly for me now ([CODER] Coder's Cardano Stake Pool | Cardano Staking), and I did see a note saying the pledge was decreased on their homepage after I made the change. It still shows the pledge is met though but I’m not sure if that’s true since half of it is now from an account that hasn’t registered its stake key. Is it possible the key only needs registering for staking/collecting staking rewards, but not pledging?

Right, I can see now on adapools CODER… but if u will click to pool owner (rewards) u will see that the owner address is still delegated to NASEC … u will not need to register again… just delegate manually to CODER…and check again on adapools

Is this because there hasn’t been a snapshot since my pool was created? Otherwise, how would I have gotten into this state (is there a bug that should be reported?)? And why would the sites all show that the pledge is met? I don’t expect to make any blocks in the coming epochs, so I could wait for the next snapshot and see what happens. Though it’s the second owner that hasn’t paid the 2 ADA (and shows as “inactive”) that I’m most curious about.

Is this because there hasn’t been a snapshot since my pool was created? Otherwise, how would I have gotten into this state (is there a bug that should be reported?)?

Nope, it is because u didn’t redelegate to ur pool, it seems need to be done manually

And why would the sites all show that the pledge is met?

As I know adapools.org will not compare the pledge with the wallet ballance, only pooltool should shows u but… I don’t know why it didn’t changed yet … hmm or it can’t check the balance because ur ada are on hw wallet right?

I don’t expect to make any blocks in the coming epochs, so I could wait for the next snapshot and see what happens.

Should be the same but u can wait

Though it’s the second owner that hasn’t paid the 2 ADA (and shows as “inactive”) that I’m most curious about.

Doesn’t paid 2 ADA because the wallet wasn’t delegated to any pool

Cheers,

Ok, I think I found where I’ve messed up:

https://docs.cardano.org/projects/cardano-node/en/latest/stake-pool-operations/register_stakepool.html#generate-delegation-certificate-pledge

I did not do this step properly - I did not include the delegation certificate in my transaction. I’m surprised that any of the sites are listing the pledge as met now though. I’ll go ahead and manually delegate (and get the other owner to do the same) now I think I understand what’s happened.

Thanks for your help!

Hmm, we’re both re-delegated, but their account still shows “inactive” here:

On the left, it does correctly show as delegated to our pool. It’s not very clear what that “status: inactive” label actually applies to. I thought maybe it’s because delegations take a few epochs, although I can see brand new accounts that show “active” after delegating without waiting for any epoch boundaries.

Maybe it’s cached data and will update soon, I’m not sure :thinking:

I see 2 addresses on pooltool.io, both active on cardanoscan.io

and

• try to register again the pool certification (it’s seems the pledge is not ok) but first check the balance of the addresses registered on cardanoscan.io

Ugh, weird… one of those stakes keys is not active on adapools, but is on cardanoscan.

Where did your “pledge not met” screenshot come from? I see this on pool.pm:

Screenshot 2021-03-24 at 10.17.53

pool.pm but perhaps meantime updated

We re-did everything about 30 mins ago, and can see that the update appeared (it was on the adapools homepage saying the pool was updated), but adapools still shows “inactive” on the other owners stake address (and I’m still completely unsure what that means - they also don’t show on the Delegators tab even though it includes them in the count!), and pooltool still shows the old pledge from before yesterday (we’ve submitted twice since then with the new pledge).

I don’t know if those sites are both broken and/or slow to update, or if something is wrong - though I’m starting to wonder if it’d be better to just delegate :grimacing:. It would suck to run the pool for months without a slot without knowing whether it’s because something is wrong, or it’s just because of small pledge/delegation, and miss out on rewards.

Any advice/suggestions welcome!