My transaction history for my wallet was being synched with the Blockchain i has been 10 hours...and has 23+ hours to go

Try turning off your virus scanner and any unnecessary programs. But mainly the virus scanner.

1 Like

Try turning off your virus scanner.

It does but goes back and forth. But towards the end it’s more precise. Once installed it works great.

When I came home yesterday in the evening, the computer was running for 24h and the counter was still frozen at 1%. So I rebootet the computer and tried it again. Now the countdown and der progress percentage changes every some minutes and after 12h I’m already at 24%. So I expect to finish it in about 1,5 days.

I couldn’t see any speed difference in switching on and off the virus scanner and I think it’s quite insane that an update of a critical software expects the user to switch off his security software. So I switched it back on and will just wait until the update is done.

In a “well done” program there should be some information about what to expect before you start such an update nightmare. Or maybe just let it update silently in the background for a week and tell the user when it’s finished that he can change from old Daedalus to new Daedalus. Or, if that’s not possible, a message would be fine that Daedalus is just for IT Pros and that stupid standard users should use Yoroi instead. As it is now, it’s hard to stay enthusiastic and to spread the word about Cardano.

I wonder if the 1.4 upgrade was tested in a sterile environment, but now that it is out to the general public with many different system settings and configurations is when the installer and migration conflicts show up.

Charles says in his new video update New Charles Shelley update that an internet connection is not necessary during the process, that’s something I didn’t know. Without internet it’s fine for me to switch off virus scanner. I’ll see when I come home.

It’s not people having a problem with something simple, it’s their machines having problems doing something very big and complicated. You’re lucky. For me it took about 24 hrs, and that’s after subtracting the time it spent stuck, until I went into Windows Defender Firewall and made exception rules for cardano-node.

It’s really not a requirement. It only helps on relatively slow machines.

Getting users to visit a website and click a download and install link…

Normal updates are automatic, a notification appears, user clicks OK and it happens. Manual updating is only sometimes required for technical reasons.

the upgrade has nothing to do with the “size” of someone’s wallet. The data layer was upgraded. Prior to 1.4 the data layer was comprised of approx 1.5 million data files (yea, that’s nuts)… After the upgrade to 1.4 the data layer contains ~40+K data files. So 1.4 converted those 1.5 million data files into the new ~40+K data files. So it was all about disk I/O and if you have any virus software running it most likely caused the conversion to be 2-3X longer than necessary. Mine took 10 hours to complete and it was disk i/o bound to the max. anyhow it completed and removed the 1.5 million data files. Actually recovered some space when all was said and done.

When I came home from work yesterday, Daedalus was closed, I have no idea why. After opening it again, it was at 70% completion which was already more than I expected. Some minutes later the countdown was reduced to about 10h until completion. Half an hour later I was at 80% and 1h to go and some 20 minutes on it was 90% completed and 10 minutes to go. So the last 30% of the update was done in just about an hour on a six year old laptop, wow!

I’m fine now with my Daedalus update. What are the lessons learned for next time?

• create some help window inside Daedalus giving some information about what to expect BEFORE a user starts the update.
  • Do some dirty user tests after the cleanroom test were successful. If you need a dirty user, call me, I know one. :wink:

Now fasten your seat belts and get ready for some real world Cardano applications!

The trouble is, while clean machines are much the same, dirty ones are dirty in all kinds of different ways.

I’m in trouble. One reason is I lost my secret code. My wallet is in a corporate machine and it used to work just fine before this update. It’s now update and synced it can’t not retire the wallet. Always stuck at 9% with 2wks plus as the status. Things I’ve tried:

1. Let it run
  2. Change all the cardio node to public
  3. Deactivating McAfee firewall (1hr only, but status bar does not change even with firewall disabled)

I have not tried to delete the db folder since I’m afraid it will wreck my wallet for good and will not have the secret code to recover.

All my Ada (a lot) is in there and I’m stupid for not safe guarding it well.

Any way I can copy the data over to a new laptop and be able to access the wallet? Another option I may try is to have my it people delete McAfee and try to update it. How did it work before and not now?

Please help. I’m running out of options.

First, you might have done this, but if not then definitely try it: after your steps 2 and/or 3, you should restart the node from the Network status screen (Ctrl-S).

If that doesn’t help, deleting the DB-1.0 folder will not affect your wallet! But for safety backup the Wallet-1.0 and the Secrets-1.0 folders. All three are in %APPDATA%\Daedalus. To save the time taken by deleting very large numbers of files, you can rename the db folder instead.

Yes you can copy the wallet and secrets folders onto another machine but I’m not sure of the exact procedure, come back and ask again if you decide to do that. If you copy all three folders over I suspect you’ll just replicate the situation.

If you need more help you should really start a new topic, that makes it much easier for us, avoiding possible confusion between different situations.

1 Like

Deleting (in my case just renaming) the DB folder worked perfectly. Wallet is good to go. Thank you! @RobJF

1 Like

Guys, I never had a problem with Daedalus until 1.3 which did not work on my Windows 7 laptop. As a trial, I downloaded a new wallet from scratch on my SSD desktop and it took literally 30 minutes. I did not bother with 1.3 and waited to download 1.4 on my laptop: the process is now finished after one week. The morale of the story is: mechanical hard drive sucks, you need an SSD computer to interact properly with Daedalus as Charles pointed it out.

The migration between different types of blockchain storage is a one-off. “Interacting properly with Daedalus”, outside of that, certainly does not require an SSD.

Fair enough. You can look at it this way. I was just trying to point out for the people who are complaining that the one off migration to 1.4 takes too long that it is more than likely caused by the fact that they are using non SSD hardware.

Well I have an SSD and it took around 24 hours, so I’m doubtful that’s the only significant issue.

Rob, what is your agenda here? Are you trying to spread FUD? This was a major upgrade, so in the big scheme of things, 24 hours or longer is not a big deal. As you said it yourself, normal interactions with Daedalus will continue as normal once 1.4 is downloaded.

Rob, it took me 1 week with a mechanical hard drive. This reinforces my point that you are better off with an SSD computer.

1 Like