Re-Framing Society for The 21st Century : Doughnut Economics

Hey All!

So this book feels really really special and I wanted to share it with the forum!
Try it, maybe you’ll get the revelation advertised, as I have. Full disclosure, I’m only half way through it atm.

The Book: "Doughnut Economics: Seven Ways to Think Like a 21st-Century Economist" by K. Rawford (2017)

takes a deep long look at economic theory from the ground up, going back to Adam Smith and other forefathers of modern economics, and clips them to shreds (or more correctly, the ways in which we’ve adopted and partially implemented their principals.)

For me it’s tying everything together nicely, in ways I’ve been awaiting a long time. Connecting all the little dots I’ve recognized as fallacies of the systems myself, but only seen sporadically.
This book’s got a system. And it aims to tie it all off with a ribbon, I can feel it.

The reason I feel comfortable enough to recommend this book before even finishing it once is dual -

1. The ideas and the language presented are both very accessible.
  2. I don’t think there’s a single new idea I’ve come across in the book so far. I even sort of knew I had all the pieces to put the picture together before I started the book, but I’ve also been having a very hard time putting them together myself.

And don’t worry, Blockchain (inc. ETH!) is mentioned before the halfway point.

To lend my view some credit here is an article describing how Amsterdam will employ the Doughnut Model to fuel recovery from the current global crisis. And the Author’s blog post introducing the initiative’s launch.

PS - I should mention another book, which offers another, equally important, definitively mindblowing (for me) paradigm shift - Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things.

1 Like