Storage

To be perfectly honest I wouldnt know where to begin!

Do I need to do anything with Daedulus before/after Vasil hard fork? I see that there is some new stuff reminding you of passwords etc.

There should be an update before the hard fork that you have to install, but it’s not there up to now.

1 Like

Ok the ssd is filling up fast with a recent update due to a small deposit. What should I do?

The space required by Daedalus does not depend on your funds/deposits at all. It is growing because the size of the Cardano blockchain as a whole is growing. And this will not stop and rather increase in the future.

This is getting repetitive. As said above, you can use one of the light wallet apps. Or you can try to move Daedalus’ storage to another drive.

Like I said I wouldnt know how. Regardless, I am using an older version on macosx.
I am well aware of the fact, only updating due to a recent transaction I made and want to see it updated.
If you dont want to offer any adivice or instruction then fine.

I already gave you the link

above. Can you try to ask more specifically what is not clear from that?

Alternatively, IOG’s method of moving the chain is here:

Or are we talking about using a light wallet app? Just install it in your browser and restore/import your wallet with the seed phrase. Links to the websites of the wallet apps can be found here:

Hi, maybe I’m wrong, but from reading your posts it seems to me like you’re not exactly the target audience of Daedalus. Daedalus is a wallet built around a full node, which means that it keeps a copy of the whole blockchain locally. If it doesn’t run constantly it can not update the blockchain continuously instead it must download (and validate) the missing part when you open it before it can do anything, and it can be hours if you last opened it a long time ago (depending on your machine and connection). With a light wallet the full node is run by the light wallet’s developers/maintainers, so this task is not your computer’s responsibility. It’s important to understand that the data that’s stored on your HD by Daedalus is not your wallet, but the history of all the transactions that happened on the blockchain. You might want to stick to Daedalus for:

1. slightly increased security (more precisely less trust needed in others)
  2. features that only a full node can provide (e.g. block chain analysis, smart contract development)
  3. contributing to the health of the platform by providing decentralization and validation (your computer’s resources)

Your ability to access your funds does not depend on this data. It depends on your seed-phrase. You can even lost your computer until you have your seed-phrase, and you will be able to install a wallet (light or not) and recreate your wallet.

I won’t go into details, but as @HeptaSean pointed out if you use a HW wallet to store your credentials, that’s a much bigger security improvement than having Daedalus over a decent light wallet, like the ones @Zyroxa mentioned.

Again, @HeptaSean is right, that it’s your decision alone and that there is no guaranties regarding the price. These are the facts, but let me add one more. Everybody who lost money on cryptos did just that: bought high, sold low. (Ok, not everybody there are the ones who mismanaged their keys, or fell for a scam, or were hacked, etc.)

I hope all the really good, helpful and honest answers of the others make more sense now!

1 Like

Is there any hard wallet for Yoroi?

You can use Trezor and Ledger with Yoroi as far as i know.

Thanks for sharing this. I will look into it.

Would a Trezor Model One be sufficient?

No it looks like you need the Model T according to that list Trezor Hardware Wallet (Official) | The original and most secure hardware wallet. .

You’re right. And I checked and seems Model T covers Cardano. I am going to ask a stupid question. I take storing them on a hard drive like Trezor will not affect our on-going and future staking.

Im not sure if i understand your question correctly but it doesnt matter if you are staking from a software wallet or if you are storing your keys via a hardware wallet.

Thanks for your explanation. I just bought a Model T. Will let you know if I have any question. Thanks again

1 Like

Feel free to ask here if you need any assistance :slight_smile:

Thanks. Ive been trying to connect for last 3 days since recent update, ‘replaying ledger…’
Its ridicluous. Youre right. I think its time for an alternative.

1 Like

It might seem ridiculous, but it’s a feature not a bug. By replaying the ledger you contribute to the health and safety of the whole network by verifying the correctness of the blockchain. Never forget that there is no central authority in these systems. It’s not a service that someone provides for you, it’s a network where we all must provide if we want it to work.

Anyway if it takes 3 days to replay the ledger that also means that you’re running Daedalus on a pretty outdated hardware or weak network connection. For me it seems that 5.0.0 needed to replay the whole ledger from the beginning but yet for me it took only a couple of hours. I also run it on an outdated hardware and I also only run it periodically when I need it, so not the intended way which is continuous.

Fairly new MB and all fucking day again, to no avail.

Dog shit software, dog shit project/investment.

I’m out!

You dont have to use Daedalus. There are plenty of good light wallets out there to use like Typhon or Eternl. Simply connect your Ledger with them et voila, there you have your access to your coins.