Testnet address on mainnet

A new wallet was necessary to stake on the test net. That wallet has a 15-key passphrase instead of the standard 12-key daedalus phrase.

For giggles I chucked the 15 words into Yoroi and bam, wallet now exists on mainnet. Even put a few ADA in there and everything looks normal.

Just wondering - has any advice been given about addresses created on the testnet persisting on mainnet? Are there any risks to using these wallets?

Gut instinct says they’re fine, and probably how rewards are going to be moved to mainnet from ITN, but thought I’d check here first.

You might be right on that last point, I don’t know. But as for now, the position is that mainnet and testnet are entirely independent, nothing done on one affects the other.

You might be right on that last point, I don’t know. But as for now, the position is that mainnet and testnet are entirely independent, nothing done on one affects the other. <Distance from Peterborough to London

Hmm, aren’t the blockchains getting merged at the end of the ITN? Won’t there be a collision when the two become one? I’m not sure I would put anything in that wallet that I’m not willing to lose in the even it just gets overridden when that happens.

No, the blockchains are not being “merged”. Instead, the reward amounts are being transferred to mainnet, by taking the reward amounts out of reserves. These reserves are the difference between current supply and the total supply, which is where minting rewards on mainnet come from.

1 Like

Cool, thanks for correcting that for me @erikd. Thinking out loud, when the ITN is shut down, the coinbase tranactions are lifted out of that blockchain and put into the mempool leaving the rest of the transaction history behind?

Yes, only the balances are transferred.

1 Like