Yoroi is a HORRIBLE name and the importance of alliteration in marketing and adoption

Like it or not, English is now the language of the world.

Yoroi incredibly uses 4 vowels in a 5 letter word. To make it worse, the “R” is trilled. Most English speakers have no idea how to pronounce it. When people can’t pronounce or have difficulty in pronouncing a word, they avoid it.

Like it or not, marketing and hype are a part of the crypto space. The best project doesn’t always win. Sometimes the best marketing does.

The good news is that we know Cardano is the best project in the space. Now we just need the same level of marketing to promote it.

I’ve attached two articles on the importance of alliteration in marketing and branding.

Two words; META MASK. It flows off of the tongue and is pleasing to say and hear. It sticks in the mind.

DeFi adoption depends on a browser based wallet like Meta Mask and our wallet. Yoroi will be integral to Cardano and DeFi adoption and while such a simple issue is seemingly insignificant, it is actually crucial.

You can have a million dollar sports car but without a $5 spark plug, it isn’t going anywhere. This isn’t to say that Cardano will not be successful if the Yoroi wallet name isn’t changed, just that it is important to focus on details that have a much larger impact than you realize and in this competitive crypto space, we need every little edge we can get.

The Superpower of Alliteration

The Allure of Alliteration in Advertising

One of the most recent studies, published in the July 2008 issue of Psychological Science, showed that it did not matter if the words were read aloud to highlight the sounds or if they were read silently; the effect was still the same.
“The results demonstrate alliteration only works as a tool for memory when the alliterative sounds are similar,” reads one article, showing it is the repeated sounds that aid memory strength. “The results of all three experiments underscore the interaction between alliteration and memory. In each of the experiments, participants in the same-alliteration condition were able to recall the most from the literature they read.”

If you agree that the name should be changed to something that has better marketability, click the Like button.

5 Likes

I’m English and completely disagree with you!

I’ve brought many non crypto people into cardano from England and 100% of these people were able to read Yoroi and pronounce it accurately.

Also (just my own view) I really like yoroi and its name.

The wallet is used by over 50,000 people - i don’t think they are struggling at all, certainly not because of the name

Yoroi, it just flows quite nicely for me

5 Likes

Just because 50,000 people use the wallet, doesn’t mean the name is good. They have no choice if they want to use Cardano. You’re making the false connection between the quality of the name and the use of the wallet.

I can just as easily claim that there would probably be many more users if the name was better and I backed up my claim that the name would be more of an asset if it used scientifically studied and tested alliteration or was simply easier to pronounce.

1 Like

You seem to forget the fact that ada is held in great majority by Japanese people … that’s a rather English centric view of the world you’re having :innocent:

7 Likes

There are plenty of wallets that support cardano

Daedalus
Adalite
Atomic
Medusa
Exodus
Moonstake
Infinito
Guarda

You are obviously entitled to your opinion around the name of yoroi, but you have written your point like it’s fact. I’m an average user who has no issue with the name, or problem with pronouncing it. So your opinion is not fact.

3 Likes

I’m not forgetting nor do I care.

Did I miss the announcement that Cardano is a project focused solely on the Japanese or Asian market?

As I said, like it or not, English is the unofficial language of the world now and Yoroi is an unpleasant word to read or speak and there are endless options that would be better for memory and marketing.

2 Likes

No, but I backed up my point with two articles showing why alternatives would be better as well as a study on the power of alliteration.

You on the other hand have backed up your argument with “I like it.” Not a very Cardano-like approach.

That said, I made my point. Hopefully others can see the importance and lobby for change. If not, so be it. I’ll still be rich AF either way. :kissing_heart: :champagne: :clinking_glasses: :fireworks:

Happy New Year!

2 Likes

Happy New Year to you also Max :beers::beers: Hopefully 2021 will be better to the world

1 Like

Totally disagree with the OP and never want it to change. I love the name and what it stands for. Happy New Year !

6 Likes

If you don’t like Yoroi word, what would you say about Ouroboros?

It’s good to express an opinion, but my opinion that Yoroi is ok as a brand.
Also as it’s a product of Emurgo, maybe you can express your opinion to them? Did you contact them?

2 Likes

Making my point to the community is a much better use of time. If others agree they will take notice. If others don’t, then it doesn’t matter. I still stand by my points.

One thing we do know is that Cardano’s track record with marketing isn’t stellar. Even Charles acknowledged as much after one of my first rants. Whether it was my post or whether he just happened to concur, he made changes and hired a new marketing director soon after.

I’ve owned Cardano since the beginning and every criticism I have, is in the hope of the betterment of Cardano. Just like Charles says, Cardano is everyone’s now. He can make suggestions and the community can adopt them or not.

3 Likes

Titan, Wada, Mada or Maxada is better, I think. :slight_smile:

I completely respect your opinion Cardano Max.
But this is my first time to give an opinion in a public forum (I’m 68 and usually silent) and I think you do not appreciate the poetry and musicality of the pronunciation.
I suspect all languages but English are foreign to you.
Just give it a try and exercise your tongue.
And be happy the name is not in Swahili !!

6 Likes

I appreciate all the stories and secondary meaning behind the naming conventions of Cardano, Ada, Shelly, Voltaire, Daedalus, Yoroi etc. It’s like a clue pointing us towards the intelligence and deep thought behind the project(s). Not everything has to be easy, pleasing, marketable, simple. Sometimes a strange name will cause people to pause, and think about it for a second. Maybe even google it, and try to understand why the name was chosen and the significance it holds. Sure it could have been called easyweb wallet, but TD bank already has that, and it’s dull and boring. Just because we are trying to reach the mass market, doesn’t mean we have to dumb everything down for maximum simplicity. Let’s not alienate the intelligent investors with bubbly babytalk. Cardano doesn’t have to follow marketing trends with buzzwords. Cardano creates the standards with peer reviewed science, and others will eventually follow. Thanks for your opinion, the op makes a fair point from a marketing perspective, but if you are just into buying names, go stuff some sushiswap in your metamask and Cardano will keep calm and carry on.

4 Likes

Agree completely - stupid name, need something immediately pronounceable in any language
How about “YORK” - good vibes - The grand old duke of York, he had 10,0000 men…nice guttural ending to it too

1 Like

So do I. But stages of a project and the name of a wallet we hope is adopted by millions are two different things.

Not everything but things we hope gain mass adoption, like the browser-based wallet that will drive DeFi and thus adoption, should very catchy and stick in your head.

Congratulations on completely not understanding the difference between easy and boring and easy and memorable.

Again, you simply lack basic understanding of the issues I raised. Using a name that rolls off of the tongue and sticks in the mind isn’t going to alienate intelligent investors.

I guess Charles made a mistake hiring a new marketing director. Maybe we should just stop marketing altogether and hope people find out about it through chance. There are plenty of cases where the best science doesn’t win the market. The two aren’t mutually exclusive. Charles consistently refers to himself as an entrepreneur and a businessman as well as someone who embraces science and academic rigor. Cardano can have all the good intentions in the world but all of the science won’t mean squat if no one adopts it.

Like it or not this space is driven by money, greed and hype. Combine that with great science and products and you have success.

I can understand your point, but we have some philosophical difference of opinion. I’m hoping Cardano remains a slow moving, under-appreciated giant for a little longer. I’m hoping all those motivated by money, greed and hype sell their coins and move on to other projects, while those who appreciate the philosophy and science behind the project can accumulate at affordable prices and hold for the longer term. Eventually the marketing will increase, and the price will raise with added utility and network effects, but lets build it out first. Be patient, chase the hype elsewhere. Cardano is not really at risk of failure at this point, we don’t really need the hype at this stage of development. First we need to figure out what to do with the $80+ million in the treasury

3 Likes

This is an honest question of my friend that I introduced to cardano. During a walk I told him about the wallet and I spelled it out 3 times.

To me, this clearly proves the OPs point.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome @jochemspek to the Cardano Forum,
I was hoping a bit that this thread can rest here, and while I understand that names are always a matter of taste, these “English-centric”, unfounded rants don’t get us anywhere and they also prove nothing.

If your friend doesn’t get along with one wallet because of a name, then he is free to use another wallet. (AdaLite for example has a nice “English” name)

Naming a wallet after an incredibly ornate piece of ancient armor, worn by Japanese samurai, seems brilliant to me. (but this is only my opinion)

5 Likes

I’m sorry, but how is this an English-centric rant? I’m merely pointing out that from a user perspective it does not seem to be a good name to me and I agree with the OP, illustrating it with an actual user response.

1 Like