ADA transactions in my wallet have stayed at 5 permanently

Thanks for the heads-up but it leads me to another question… If you are expecting to receive a deposit of ADA from someone or from an exchange do you need to have your wallet open or do you at least need to be online? What if my laptop goes to sleep while waiting for a deposit to post?

No

No

Neither of you or your computer is required in order to receive coins on an address.

Blockchain addresses work like a “mailbox”. Anyone at any point in time may drop some coins onto your address. You are not required to be conscious, nor to have a computer, or internet connection, or a wallet, or an exchange account, or anything else.

You don’t even need the 12 words to receive coins. But if you want to spend them, tho - then you need a computer, the wallet program, and your 12 words.

3 Likes

Gotcha that makes more sense. Like an email address. I noticed though that it says a new address will be created automatically once the current one is used. That seems strange. If a new one is created does that mean the old one is no longer valid? Btw I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. Thanks @vantuz-subhuman

1 Like

No, the old address will always remain related to your wallet and may be used at any time. It’s just a security thing that Daedalus recommends you to accept each new incoming money onto new address, but you don’t have to. The only thing to remember is that when you send some coins, and you have a change - change will be automatically sent to a new address. But the previous one still may be used (but not recommended by Daedalus).

UPD: And also you don’t have to do anything extra if Daedalus creates you a new address - it all will be processed automatically, and all used addresses will remain active even if you completely delete your Daedalus and then install it again. Or even if you restore your wallet on another computer. Just be sure to store your 12 words.

You can read this comment, to find more detailed info about how addresses work in a wallet:

3 Likes

SAD! Do you know anything about official SPV’s planned?

Mobile Daedalus gotta be SPV, tho. And Charles said in some interview that they made UI in React (or some other front-end stuff) specifically so they wouldn’t have to create it all again for mobiles.

So basically if mobile wallet will be the same Daedalus UI that just connects to some remote node - I don’t see any reason to not allow the same for a desktop.

Well now I am unable to reopen my wallet. It seems to be having an issue connecting to the network. I have seen posts related to this issue but I cannot remember where or what the remedy was. Anyone have any ideas?

After a couple of days offline, I started the computer…Daedalus updated automatically to version 1.1.5813 and still works as good as before the update…now I can see the full history in “Transactions”…and Summary shows the last 5

2 Likes

Have no clue, really.

I think, it’s a bit more complicated than just use a GUI frontend to connect to a public backend as the security is very high concern.

Yup, I understand the complexity with security, but for a mobile platform there isn’t that much alternative, you can’t make people download full chain on their android :man_shrugging:

I reckon SPV would need to discover and select some multiple nodes on the network, and then kinda switch between them for the whole time of working. And maybe try to get a quorum of them for some critical stuff. But the problem is that standard node software then should provide kind of a light-operations API (like, querying a bloom-filter of addresses, etc).

But there already might be a solution for this in the Cardano SL nodes, idk. Not that experienced (yet) with SPV’s and nodes.

Yep, I agree, that’s why SPV was invented and hopefully, Cardano comes up w/ some solution to solve it.

1 Like